Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johngwheeler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
I come from a land down-under...
Just wondering whether anyone is aware of any rMB display units in either the Apple stores or resellers (BigW, NextByte etc.)?

I was hoping to play with one in the Sydney George St. store, but don't want to travel into the city unless I know they are there!

Thanks,

John.

freo73

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2015
None in Perth yesterday, they had no idea when they would receive any display units. I would assume Sydney would get them before Perth (like most things)!

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
Just called Apple at Robina. Apparently they have display models now but none in stock to buy :( They said to order online, I said I already have but don't want to wait 3 - 4 weeks :(

Tempted to go after work to check them out.

johngwheeler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
Just called Apple at Robina. Apparently they have display models now but none in stock to buy :( They said to order online, I said I already have but don't want to wait 3 - 4 weeks :(

Tempted to go after work to check them out.

That's good news - at least we have some stock, even if only for display, filtering into Australia.

It'll be interesting to see if other Australian Apple stores get them in over the next few days.

Gav183

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Queensland
Display models at most Apple stores, but the most annoying thing is JB Hi Fi, not all stores, is selling all models.

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
Excellent, thanks for the heads up man.

Going to be an agonising day tomorrow waiting for 5pm to come around. (not to buy, but to check out - need to save up cash lol)

Gav183

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Queensland
I too can confirm JB Hi Fi has them cos I just got one from Robina, Gold Coast. Base model and setting it up now. Went to Apple for an adaptor and the staff member just rolled his eyes when I showed him what was in the JB bag. He thought it was ridiculous too how Apple's going about business, but he laughed and said the money comes back to them anyway.

Gav

dennisroethig

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2015
Can confirm: Melbourne JBHifi on Elizabeth St has a Gold version on display. They had a 1.2/512GB/Gray left in stock that I got :)

Currently re-installing after ever-ending beachball during file-vault setup ...

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
haha nice work, I'm fully jelly of your purchases :D

I went to Melbourne CBD Myer, instead of JB. Man, I'm in love. Looking like I will have to wait till Q3 to get mine.

Grats on all your purchases, though! :cool:

dennisroethig

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2015
yeah crazy - I was just planning to look at the display, but actually seeing it was too much. Would just try to give them a call, they'll have (new) stock probably earlier than Apple :|

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
yeah crazy - I was just planning to look at the display, but actually seeing it was too much. Would just try to give them a call, they'll have (new) stock probably earlier than Apple :|

haha I know the feeling :D My wallet's taken a walloping the past 12 months on these sorts of impulse purchases lol

It is one seriously sexy beast.

Sorry, I should have been clearer, I meant I'll be ordering at about tax time (I hope!). But it's definitely gonna happen.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Just laid my hands for the first time on the new Macbook at Melbourne airport after the passport control!

But what a disappointment. Battery empty and no charge coming through! Asked the sale assistant who basically said the charger was not working, so no chance to try it out :-(

But I had to at least try out the keyboard and I have to say I am disappointed. Ok, I only tried it for a couple of minutes and with the Macbook off, but it did not feel right at all. Almost to key travel at all, not much different from typing on a touchscreen (which I hate). Maybe ok for people typing with two fingers, but for a very fast 10 finger typer not great - at least at the first try. I might change my mind when trying it for a longer time.

From the form factor I put it next to my 11" Air and it feels very similar, in size, thickness and weight. Sorry, I cannot see why put an immense effort into R&D to get it a bit thinner and lighter, makes no real world difference to me.
The unit on display was in gold, not my cup of tea. But I am sure the other colours look great. So only a short first impression not helped by it turned off, but I am still very very happy with my 11" Air with no urge what so ever to upgrade (?) / change.

johngwheeler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
In stock in Australia?

Just laid my hands for the first time on the new Macbook at Melbourne airport after the passport control!

But what a disappointment. Battery empty and no charge coming through! Asked the sale assistant who basically said the charger was not working, so no chance to try it out :-(

But I had to at least try out the keyboard and I have to say I am disappointed. Ok, I only tried it for a couple of minutes and with the Macbook off, but it did not feel right at all. Almost to key travel at all, not much different from typing on a touchscreen (which I hate). Maybe ok for people typing with two fingers, but for a very fast 10 finger typer not great - at least at the first try. I might change my mind when trying it for a longer time.

From the form factor I put it next to my 11" Air and it feels very similar, in size, thickness and weight. Sorry, I cannot see why put an immense effort into R&D to get it a bit thinner and lighter, makes no real world difference to me.
The unit on display was in gold, not my cup of tea. But I am sure the other colours look great. So only a short first impression not helped by it turned off, but I am still very very happy with my 11" Air with no urge what so ever to upgrade (?) / change.

[url=http://s24.postimg.org/46uf95pp1/IMG_1848.jpg]Image[/url]

Did the airport store actually have units to sell, or just on display?

elithrar

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2007
Perth Apple Store had a full table of display models on Apr 25th and a few to sell.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015

[url=http://s24.postimg.org/46uf95pp1/IMG_1848.jpg]Image[/url]

Good thing for you it was turned off. Once you used it, you would never want to go back to the Air and its hideous display.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Did the airport store actually have units to sell, or just on display?

Sorry, did not inquire. There was a price there but not sure if there was any stock under the counter.

----------

Good thing for you it was turned off. Once you used it, you would never want to go back to the Air and its hideous display.

I admit I would have loved to see that display. Having said that I have never been that impressed by the display on the 13" Pro. Maybe just my eyesight. But from the short experience I am not sure if I could get used to the keyboard. I am admittedly a bit old style and learned to type on real typewriter, so I might not represent the majority of users today. But for me a keyboard is something I hardly ever watch, I just put my fingers on and type away. So the feel and feedback are very important. I am perfectly happy with rather little travel (I hate the 'usual' desktop keyboards), but I must feel what I am doing. One reason why I absolutely dread typing on an iPad or an iPhone. Ok for a few words but anything beyond that I need a proper keyboard. I just hate it when the words on the screen do not appear in line (or almost) with the speed that I am thinking them.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
Apple store Garden City (WA) has display models and space grey base model available.

JB Hifi Garden City (WA) has display model (gold) and one space grey base model left (I got the silver).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.