Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BuiltInChip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Hi everyone!

new to the forum and first post, nice to meet you all :D

Just a quick question: Is there a concern of the apple USB super drive scratching discs?

My CD collection is quite important to me, and I want a good external optical drive for my mac.
Thanks!

On a side note, I have read that some optical drive readers have better protection "pads" on the lasers. Not sure if the SuperDrive has this, but I heard some readers don't which cause potential scratching.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Alternative action:

Get a 3rd party (non-Apple) external DVD/CD drive that is "tray loading" -- open tray, place DVD/CD, close tray ...

BuiltInChip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Thanks for the replies! I didn't think that tray loading drives would be safer, but if they are, I'll definitely look at those instead. Thanks :)

BuiltInChip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
I've got a USB Superdrive that I bought a few years ago - I hardly use it anymore but it's a good backup (pun intended...).

I agree with the other posters - I've had a few disks stick in the external Superdrive. I'm popping for this drive sometime this week:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Electronics-External-Drive-BDR-XD05B/dp/B00OD39P6A/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Hey! that's a pretty good looking drive for the same price as a superdrive. the fact that it plays blu rays is a bonus. Pioneer should be a pretty good brand too :)

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Hey! that's a pretty good looking drive for the same price as a superdrive. the fact that it plays blu rays is a bonus. Pioneer should be a pretty good brand too :)
Yeah, so I lied - inadvertently - in my earlier post. I just ordered one after thinking about it, instead of sometime this week...

A postscript, FYI - I ordered that drive via the lowest price covered by Amazon, then got an email from them acknowledging the purchase, and that it wouldn't ship until May 7-21. Grrr. So, I cancelled that order and purchased the $90.99 option, which will be here in 3 days (it's Easter Sunday, so Monday plus 2 days covered by Prime...).

That drive is the newer version of the one listed on the Wirecutter's website for "best" Blu Ray disc readers/players - both are Mac-friendly. Bonus. :D

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I've got a USB Superdrive that I bought a few years ago - I hardly use it anymore but it's a good backup (pun intended...).

I agree with the other posters - I've had a few disks stick in the external Superdrive. I'm popping for this drive sometime this week:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Electronics-External-Drive-BDR-XD05B/dp/B00OD39P6A/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Follow up to my OP. The drive showed up today.

The pros are it's smaller than I thought it would be, the box has the "Mac" logo on it - always a good sign, and it's faster and quieter than my Superdrive. And, it burns the Blu Ray discs I own that the Superdrive doesn't even recognize...

The cons are that the device ships with a custom Y-cord that has a USB 3 connector on one end and two USB connectors on the other end with a qualification that both connectors might be needed for sufficient power - a ding if you want to connect to a Macbook (with one port on either side of the laptop); FWIW, I was able to get the device powered and burning a CD with only one of the USB connectors plugged in on both my Mini Server and rMBP. The instructions indicate that, if additional power is needed the not-included power adapter is available for order - but I haven't needed it.

I'm happy with it, and it's a keeper...

BuiltInChip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Follow up to my OP. The drive showed up today.

The pros are it's smaller than I thought it would be, the box has the "Mac" logo on it - always a good sign, and it's faster and quieter than my Superdrive. And, it burns the Blu Ray discs I own that the Superdrive doesn't even recognize...

The cons are that the device ships with a custom Y-cord that has a USB 3 connector on one end and two USB connectors on the other end with a qualification that both connectors might be needed for sufficient power - a ding if you want to connect to a Macbook (with one port on either side of the laptop); FWIW, I was able to get the device powered and burning a CD with only one of the USB connectors plugged in on both my Mini Server and rMBP. The instructions indicate that, if additional power is needed the not-included power adapter is available for order - but I haven't needed it.

I'm happy with it, and it's a keeper...

Thanks for your review and suggestion on this drive. I actually ended up picking it up as well and I'm very happy with it.
Like you said about the Y-cord USB, I was worried it wouldn't work at first, but it turned out to work with just one USB 3 port, so it all turned out nicely :) Thanks again!

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I bought the external SuperDrive. In retrospect for the amount of times I use it, going with a cheap external would have been a better plan. The SuperDrive is pretty slow too compared to tray loading options.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I bought the external SuperDrive. In retrospect for the amount of times I use it, going with a cheap external would have been a better plan. The SuperDrive is pretty slow too compared to tray loading options.

Which is why I haven't bought one for my rMBP yet. I still buy physical CDs, so I may need one at some point. Bluray for $80? May have to consider that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.