Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patrick-44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
I have a 2011 macbook pro with Mavericks.

I have not used it in 18months but had it repaired yesterday (top case liquid damage)

The laptop is working since repaired. Here's where I'm stuck..

I have an SSD in a thinkpad.

I want to put the SSD into the macbook..

What way do I install latest OS onto the SSD...

I know usually with hard drives I'd format it and have the .iso file to install it on.. but not sure how to do it on mac.. also Mavericks update was free, is Yosemite or does it give option install what i have already (mavericks)

Is there a button I press on start up so it connects to internet and downloads, and if so what details will I need.

Also is it possible partition a Hard drive on install... just if someone can tell me what I will need before I do it would be great, so I'm sure..

Any advice would be great... :cool:

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Download it from the AppStore. When it wants to install, quit then put the file onto a USB drive and then when you put the SSD in, and want to install the OS, point it to the USB.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Download Yosemite now on the old drive and quit the installer. Then use this free app and an 8GB USB key to make an installer.

Then install the SSD and option key boot to the USB key. From there use Disk Utility to format the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Util and install the OS.

Patrick-44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Ok thanks, one more question, when I am installing it on boot up, is it possible partition the SSD?
Or will i have to put it formatted from fat32 to what works for Apple?

Can you format an SSD?

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Ok thanks, one more question, when I am installing it on boot up, is it possible partition the SSD?
Or will i have to put it formatted from fat32 to what works for Apple?

Can you format an SSD?

Follow Wealselboy's instruction until you reach Disk Utility, that's where you get to partition and format your SSD... Please make sure the partitions are on GUID, and formatted under Mac OS Journaled (Extended)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.