Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHdesigner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2015
Hi,
Thanks for your time, I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on my next phone? I'm currently using an iPhone 4s which I've had more or less since it launched, its still useable but is quickly becoming a hassle, battery life etc.

I'm weighing up between replacing it with an iPhone 6/6+, the next Fairphone or the next Oneplus handset. I'll be moving to Sweden for a few months in September so I want something capable of replacing my first Gen iPad mini and camera etc so I can travel light.

Also, I'm not sure whether to wait for the next iPhone to launch in Septemeber-ish, any idea if it will have a spec worth waiting for? I want something that will get me through a year of traveling and then the final year of my degree/

I appreciate any input on this,

Thanks!

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Hi,
Thanks for your time, I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on my next phone? I'm currently using an iPhone 4s which I've had more or less since it launched, its still useable but is quickly becoming a hassle, battery life etc.

I'm weighing up between replacing it with an iPhone 6/6+, the next Fairphone or the next Oneplus handset. I'll be moving to Sweden for a few months in September so I want something capable of replacing my first Gen iPad mini and camera etc so I can travel light.

Also, I'm not sure whether to wait for the next iPhone to launch in Septemeber-ish, any idea if it will have a spec worth waiting for? I want something that will get me through a year of traveling and then the final year of my degree/

Thanks!
Well, here's my opinion on it: the Fairphone doesn't appeal to me at all. For me I'd probably be in the middle between a OnePlus One and an iPhone 6. That decision comes down to: how heavily invested into the Apple ecosystem are you?

For example, if a lot of your friends are on iMessage and you're relying on apps that are Appstore-exclusive or have a large iTunes purchases collection, then you'd probably want to consider staying with iPhone.

If you're a grass-is-greener kind of guy and you don't see much appeal to the Apple ecosystem, the OnePlus One is a great phone and you really can't go wrong with it especially given its price.

That's my opinion anyway.

JHdesigner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2015
Thanks for the advice,
I am pretty tied into the apple ecosystem, but provided I could get my iCloud calendars to sync I'm sure I could adjust. That new Huawei phone looks pretty good, dual sim and great performance for very little cost...

Nishant22

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2015
iPhone 4S replacement with iPhone 6

Hi,

Thanks!

I am not going to buy the fair phone talk. It is not interesting at all. In your case, I will suggest you to buy a iPhone 6. It is easy to handle and the camera is also good.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
If you're on the fence between the iPhone 6 and 6+ I recommend that you go to a store that sells them and look at them in person. I couldn't decide between them until I went to a store, this finally helped me decide which one would work better for my needs.

Alan Mac Farlan

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
Hi,
I want something that will get me through a year of traveling and then the final year of my degree/
Thanks!

Get the iPhone 5s/32 from the Apple Store for $149 ... you will be under contract at that price same as the 6/64 which is about $300 or so.

If you want out of contract and get an unlocked for overseas service then it is about $500 for the 5s and $700 for the 6 ... which I would wait until the 6s comes out as they are fixing problems right now.

The 5s will get you what you need to have, and it will take all the current updates and work for you very well .. with plenty of room to do University work on it. It is a solid and functional device with no problems to my experience.

Download all the useful apps you want to make your life easier ... for free or pay. I have not paid for any of the 32 downloaded apps yet as there is no need for me re business or personal reasons.

Plug and play into your iMac ... real happy camper for me.

:p:p:p

Alan Mac Farlan

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
Let me know your budget. If you having Rs. 70,000 I would like to suggest iphone6 otherwise you'll buy iphone 4 or 5 for your convenient.

Yup .. you can get the iPhone 4s/8 from Target stores for $1 ... under contract of course. But get Verizon so it is unlocked ... or so they say. Otherwise the 5s/32 Verizon at $149 as a better buy. Since you are overseas .. get the unlocked no contract ... so you can chip it out and use the Swedish cell system .. etc or what ever country cell system you are in by getting their chip.

:apple::apple::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.