Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ron20

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
my sig sums up what i had.

i loved my iphone 4s but since i was wanting a big screen size plus no jailbreak to get the stuff i like, galaxy s3 took the cake then, iphone 5 came out i really wasnt happy with that so i got a galaxy s4 had problems (it froze "black screen) that involved a batt pull and it worked), so i jailbroke it and it fixed it for good. how i am not sure but i loved it)

ok this is where i got a love hate right now (i talked myself in to getting a 6+ yes i love this phone. but i hate it due to if i didnt get one i would have wish i did.. did the same thing with my xbox 1..

there is a learning curve with this phone. i kept hitting near the home button to go back lol.

got some questions
1. apple pay app my ios is 8.2
2. how is the charging cable, (i seem to seem to destroy cables via use at the part that plugs into the phone and no i dont pull it by the cord.) my galaxy charger seems to do the same.. can upload a pic.
3. when i pull down from the top i cant see the weather (saw it in a display model) (will upload a pic soon)
4. cant facetime with my gma's ip4s running ios 6.1. i have tried a new account. but it doesnt work it says call ended (really the whole pp. did fine on my cuz 5s rocking i assume latest update.
5.should i update to 8.3?

thanks guys/girls.. i look forward to many of use with this phone.. glad i got it

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
my sig sums up what i had.

i loved my iphone 4s but since i was wanting a big screen size plus no jailbreak to get the stuff i like, galaxy s3 took the cake then, iphone 5 came out i really wasnt happy with that so i got a galaxy s4 had problems (it froze "black screen) that involved a batt pull and it worked), so i jailbroke it and it fixed it for good. how i am not sure but i loved it)

ok this is where i got a love hate right now (i talked myself in to getting a 6+ yes i love this phone. but i hate it due to if i didnt get one i would have wish i did.. did the same thing with my xbox 1..

there is a learning curve with this phone. i kept hitting near the home button to go back lol.

got some questions
1. apple pay app my ios is 8.2
2. how is the charging cable, (i seem to seem to destroy cables via use at the part that plugs into the phone and no i dont pull it by the cord.) my galaxy charger seems to do the same.. can upload a pic.
3. when i pull down from the top i cant see the weather (saw it in a display model) (will upload a pic soon)
4. cant facetime with my gma's ip4s running ios 6.1. i have tried a new account. but it doesnt work it says call ended (really the whole pp. did fine on my cuz 5s rocking i assume latest update.
5.should i update to 8.3?

thanks guys/girls.. i look forward to many of use with this phone.. glad i got it

Apple design connectors PROPERLY - this isn't micro USB nonsense, you'll have no problems with the lightning connector system, it's idiot-proof.

Ron20

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
not quite what i was meaning but every power cord i have had it seems to last up to 5months or less depending on use. (same spot every time) i wont buy a cheap cord or something like that unless its needed at the time. i buy belkin (think thats right) they seem to last longer then the other brands i tried

this is what i was talking about and it works.

i think this i bought this at the start of this year maybe? my iphone cables are the same i have had many of cables on my 4s.

and the lighting cable does make it nice i have been half asleep or something like that and try to plug my phone in the wrong way.

also its glad to be back, now i can watch video's without them being on my phone. (even though its 64gb) got a question can i still watch videos if i am not on my home network say i go to my cuz's house.

Last edited:

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
Buying anything other than genuine Apple cables is a fool's errand.

I can see where you're coming from but when I had the iPhone 5 I used genuine cables and they split just like in ron20s picture. I'm afraid apples quality control has been going downhill a lot recently with emphasis on making as much profit as possible

MattXDA

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2014
UK
The charging cable which came with the iPhone 6 seems to be higher quality than the one which came with my 5s; it hasn't shown any signs of breaking yet, while my 5s one broke within 3 months

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The charging cable which came with the iPhone 6 seems to be higher quality than the one which came with my 5s; it hasn't shown any signs of breaking yet, while my 5s one broke within 3 months

My father is still using the original brick and cable with his iPhone 5, which is my old phone and I used to charge it two or three times a day. That phone is well over two years old now.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Buying anything other than genuine Apple cables is a fool's errand.

All my official Apple cables for iPhone, iPad and Macbook have gone bad with fraying and splits. They aren't special by any means.

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
The amazon basics cables are much better quality and cheap enough to buy one or two. I've been using one for my iPad for well over a year and it's really good quality. Seems to be certified with apple too and hence no silly incompatible accessory message when you use it

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
The problem is not with the materials or construction, the problem is that some people don't know how to treat technology, and they have unrealistic expectations of what a cable can endure. If the cables WERE that bad, you can rest assured the whole internet would light up with complaints.

I've got many Apple cables, even 30 pin USB cables that have been battered and bruised, and yet not one is splitting or fraying, nor have any more than a couple of tiny nicks in the outer sheathing. It's not what people tell you that gives you clues about why they destroy tech, it's what they DON'T tell you, and will deny until they're blue in the face. I'm an ex TV and VCR repair engineer - the amount of customers who'd come in looking "surprised" because their vcr wouldn't function, failed to reveal that they'd sprayed WD40 through the cassette loading flap... but would sheepishly mention it when repeatedly asked.

Agenda and denial, always the culprits.

----------

I can see where you're coming from but when I had the iPhone 5 I used genuine cables and they split just like in ron20s picture. I'm afraid apples quality control has been going downhill a lot recently with emphasis on making as much profit as possible

I inspect every SINGLE item, no matter how small, for defects or even slight manufacturing flaws or misalignments - not ONE Apple product has failed my examination, and I do it with a magnifying loupe, and because I love admiring the level of detail and finish they put into their designs.

Last edited:

Ron20

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
:apple:Pay is built into passbook

Thanks i found that out this morning while looking in settings .

----------

All my official Apple cables for iPhone, iPad and Macbook have gone bad with fraying and splits. They aren't special by any means.

Ya even my power brick or known as the iPad charger, i have had it for quite sometime. is showing signs of wear and it doesn't get moved much if any
apple makes great products but chargers are another story plus i take good care of my things.

Ok so day one of the iphone it feels great even in my pocket,

So does anyone know why i cant face time with my old iPhone 4s running Ios6 she doesn't want to upgrade her software.

Also is it worth it to upgrade to ios8.3

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.