Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Wow. That Macallan 21 looks absolutely fantastic. Superb. Is it as good as it looks? That is a bottle I would be more than happy to make the acquaintance of.

Sorry to learn of your health issues, but I really hope that you are able to really fully enjoy those few sneaked and snatched sips of that luscious Macallan.

It's amazing, and worth every penny. It's a Speyside, so it's easier on the peat taste than Islays, and is quite smooth. When I first opened it, a friend and I finished about 1/2 the bottle before we realized it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It's amazing, and worth every penny. It's a Speyside, so it's easier on the peat taste than Islays, and is quite smooth. When I first opened it, a friend and I finished about 1/2 the bottle before we realized it.

Ah, wonderful.

I can only read your post with a combination of suppressed envy and vicarious pleasure. And I can only agree with you: A bottle like that is worth every penny.

In any case, I'm not surprised that the best part of half a bottle was consumed before you realised it; such, smooth, rich, and exquisite stuff is firstly, best drunk in good and congenial company, and secondly, disappears surprisingly easily. Well, that has been my experience. It only remains to say, that I will express the fervent hope that you thoroughly enjoy the remainder of the bottle.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I was saying Southern Comfort was too sweet so I was not disagreeing with you. :)

While I sometimes like the idea of the adjective 'sweet' in an alcoholic drink, it has to come in a form of sweetness that is a smooth and velvet sweetness, a sweetness that is properly balanced with a depth of textured and layered flavour, and perhaps, leavened by a touch of acidity, too.

This means that such a version of 'sweetness' ('dulce') patently excludes an interpretation which includes 'cloying' and 'sticky', both of them, alas, adjectives which have ben known to describe Southern Comfort.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
While I sometimes like the idea of the adjective 'sweet' in an alcoholic drink, it has to come in a form of sweetness that is a smooth and velvet sweetness, a sweetness that is properly balanced with a depth of textured and layered flavour, and perhaps, leavened by a touch of acidity, too.

This means that such a version of 'sweetness' ('dulce') patently excludes an interpretation which includes 'cloying' and 'sticky', both of them, alas, adjectives which have ben known to describe Southern Comfort.

I like sweet such as found in Bailey's, or certain flavored tequilas, but that half shot of Southern Comfort was a real eye opener, tasting more like a orange liqueur than a whiskey. I may try it again because I've noticed frequently my first taste of a new whiskey is not the final impression. I need to have several tastes over a period of time. And I do limit myself, usually sipping 1 to 1.5 shots in a session. I don't like the whiskey buzz as compared to a beer buzz- curious. Maybe of interest, whiskey tastes best when I gulp a half shot, instead of sipping at it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Today on PBS, I heard a very interesting report about a company called Terressentia that with its bourbon speed aging process, just might turn the whisky industry on its head. How about 12 hrs, not 6 years? What really got my attention was a whisky taster who visited them and participated in multiple blind taste tests and reports that he ranked this new style bourbon consistently in the top one or two.

I'm no expert, but my impression is that aging besides adding complexity to the taste, removes the rough edges, the latter is exactly what this speed aging process accomplishes.

The question is how much lowering of price will this result in, if any? The company claims this will result in top shelf whiskey at mid shelf pricing. I don't know any brand names. The sad thing is that this will reduce the perceived value of aging, something that was nurtured for 4-8 year (or more), to a day. Kind of mind boggling.

This PopSci article is from 2011: http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-12/scientific-ways-make-whiskey-taste-older-faster

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Jim Beam Devil's Cut 90 proof- Ooo they stole the Devil's cut and he's very unhappy. I vote to give it back :p It's got a little of that turpentine accent I've noticed in other low cost whiskeys, but it's much more robust than Old Crow which is the weakest finish whiskey I've tasted.

Jim-Beam®-Devils-Cut™-90-Proof-Unleashing-the-Bold.png

The power of advertising.​

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Jim Beam Devil's Cut 90 proof- Ooo they stole the Devil's cut and he's very unhappy. I vote to give it back :p It's got a little of that turpentine accent I've noticed in other low cost whiskeys, but it's much more robust than Old Crow which is the weakest finish whiskey I've tasted.

It might be increasing age, or the development of a much more discerning palate, - or even the fact that one's income tends to be greater than was the case in one's student days - but, the days of drinking the sort of cheap rot-gut that I swallowed happily and uncritically as an undergrad are long since passed.

I don't drink much by way of spirits, but, when I do drink whisky/whiskey (or cognac), it has to be smooth and velvet on the tongue above all; that means much aged, and - in turn - that means not cheap…..

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It might be increasing age, or the development of a much more discerning palate, - or even the fact that one's income tends to be greater than was the case in one's student days - but, the days of drinking the sort of cheap rot-gut that I swallowed happily and uncritically as an undergrad are long since passed.

I don't drink much by way of sir its, but, when I do drink whisky/whiskey (or cognac), it has to be smooth and velvet on the tongue above all; that means much aged, and - in turn - that means not cheap…..

I'm not sure where the line is drawn between rot-gut and acceptable whiskeys. I'm sure a lot of it is based on personal preference. So far the best whiskey I've tasted is Wild Turkey 101 which sells for about $30 a bottle. It's got a great whiskey taste slight to modest burn. Im sure it's my crude pallet ;), but it strikes me as a great sipping whiskey (natural). I like that it makes its presence known. :) A small 750ml bottle the Devil's Cut sells for $20. Ironically, for pure smooth Old Crow is better with a good flavor, but boring, with a short finish, like drinking whiskey flavored water.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm not sure where the line is drawn between rot-gut and acceptable whiskeys. I'm sure a lot of it is based on personal preference. So far the best whiskey I've tasted is Wild Turkey 101 which sells for about $30 a bottle. It's got a great whiskey taste slight to modest burn. Im sure it's my crude pallet ;), but it strikes me as a great sipping whiskey (natural). I like that it makes its presence known. :) A small 750ml bottle the Devil's Cut sells for $20. Ironically, for pure smooth Old Crow is better with a good flavor, but boring, with a short finish, like drinking whiskey flavored water.

These days, even with port and sherry (both of which I quite like), I have come to the realisation that I like the smooth, (thus, aged) stuff, rather than the brasher, brighter, younger stuff that gives that 'slight burn' that you have mentioned.

I suppose that I have discovered that I don't really like 'that slight burn' (and - above all - I really don't like a sharp burn). However, a 'slight mellow touch of warming heat' that leaves a pleasant warming afterglow on your tongue, as you swirl it around, is another matter entirely. That can be rather lovely.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
These days, even with port and sherry (both of which I quite like), I have come to the realisation that I like the smooth, (thus, aged) stuff, rather than the brasher, brighter, younger stuff that gives that 'slight burn' that you have mentioned.

I suppose that I have discovered that I don't really like 'that slight burn' (and - above all - I really don't like a sharp burn). However, a 'slight mellow touch of warming heat' that leaves a pleasant warming afterglow on your tongue, as you swirl it around, is another matter entirely. That can be rather lovely.

Wild Turkey warms you going down. :) If you ever try it, let me know if you like it, but my feelings won't be hurt if you don't. :) Ironically when I started this quest it was for a smooth inexpensive whiskey with good flavor and the one brand I found that might qualify, I found to be boring, as previously mentioned.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Wild Turkey warms you going down. :) If you ever try it, let me know if you like it, but my feelings won't be hurt if you don't. :) Ironically when I started this quest it was for a smooth inexpensive whiskey with good flavor and the one brand I found that might qualify, I found to be boring, as previously mentioned.

Wasn't Wild Turkey Hunter S. Thompson's favourite tipple?

Er, no thanks. Probably not my idea of fun sipping…….

My mother - back in the days when she had her proverbial marbles - always rather liked Jameson, whereas my father preferred the perhaps somewhat bland (by the standards of the purists) - but utter - reliability and smooth balance of Teachers' Highland Cream.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Wasn't Wild Turkey Hunter S. Thompson's favourite tipple?

Er, no thanks. Probably not my idea of fun sipping…….

My mother - back in the days when she had her proverbial marbles - always rather liked Jameson, whereas my father preferred the perhaps somewhat bland (by the standards of the purists) - but utter - reliability and smooth balance of Teachers' Highland Cream.

For perspective, how do you feel about Jameson? While acknowledging it qualifies as quality, I would not choose it.

yes it was

What do you prefer when it comes to whiskey?

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
....What do you prefer when it comes to whiskey?

Current favorites...the Highland Park 18, that a friend of mine buys and shares, is high on my list........when buying for myself, the Balvenie Doublewood is what I often buy. Lismore is a less expensive brand I buy at Trader Joe's

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
For perspective, how do you feel about Jameson? While acknowledging it qualifies as quality, I would not choose it.

What do you prefer when it comes to whiskey?

My mother - when she drank whiskey (she tended to drink vodka most of the time) - really liked it. Yes, I agree, it does rank as quality. To my mind, it is a perfectly good, reliable, affordable, mid-range, whiskey, a very decent quality drinkable sipping Irish whiskey, and is one that I have given as gifts to interlocutors when abroad quite often.

Now, it is not my favourite, - although I will take one if offered. In truth, I actually drink very little whiskey, and therefore really do prefer whisky to be very smooth when I do drink it, i.e. 14 year old and older - but Jameson will always have a place in my drinks cabinet, as many people I know like it and it is one I can offer both as a host, and, as a visitor to other countries, without feeling embarrassment.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Any Ardbeg fans? You know who you are...

What have you tried?

Me...(with ratings)

10 ***
Uigedail *****
Corryvreckan ****
Auriverdes **
Supernova 2014 & 2015 ***
Perpetuum ****
Blasda ***
Ardbog ****

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
1835 Bourbon- brewed in Ft. Worth, Texas. At $24 for 750ml, it's got a good flavor, a bit dry, but a short finish. A store employee, told me it's the number one selling Bourbon in Texas. That made it worth a try. The power of being home grown? ;)

Wild Turkey 101
is better, much better in a subjective way. :D

6hlu8y.jpg

Last edited:

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
Any Ardbeg fans? You know who you are...

What have you tried?

Me...(with ratings)

10 ***
Uigedail *****
Corryvreckan ****
Auriverdes **
Supernova 2014 & 2015 ***
Perpetuum ****
Blasda ***
Ardbog ****

Love Ardbeg!!!

10 ***
Uigedail *****
Alligator ****** - Best out there
Perpetuum Distillery Release *****
Blasda **

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva

OH Mila what rotgut are you pushing now? Seriously I remember my uncle and cousins years ago bought old whisky barrels (they lived in Hamilton Ontario so likely Canadian rye) and would make something called swish by filling them with water and letting the booze soaked into the wood to leach out. It tasted as bad as it sounds but as a mixer ingredient with coke or other soft drinks who cares after the 4th drink? So these guys are going to make people pay a pretty penny for it by getting Ms. Kunis to advertise it? Hey I'll watch the ads but I ain't buying.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Picked this up today, it's outstanding, a light oak, cherry, a touch of vanilla, a really nice finish, and an _amazing_ deal.

IMG_8775.JPG

Additional non-whiskey notes: the Nolet's is glorious, for gin drinkers who love something really complex, and the Dobel is a brilliant tequila finished in oak casks, and this is a custom product for one of our local liquor stores.

Reactions: mobilehaathi

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I posted this on some other boards/whisky chats, and *thought* that I posted it here.

Anyway ...

Opened on New Years Eve, a 1999 single barrel Blanton, it was pretty amazing as you might expect :)

IMG_8666 2.JPG

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm curious, how much $ was that? the stopper is probably more than I want to spend. ;)

Oh yeah, I should've provided more details - we were over at friends for this past New Years, and it was his bottle (his kitchen, his hand :D) that he opened that night for us all to enjoy. He has relatives in KY, and they scored it for him years ago, and it's just been sort of sitting around, unopened! I have no idea about the original cost (or heck, what the current value may have been).

He's mostly a single malt drinker, so things like this he just saves for company :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.