Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
What could possibly be taking Apple so long to deliver the special 1.3GHz BTO models?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
What could possibly be taking Apple so long to deliver the special 1.3GHz BTO models?

One hunch is that the yield rate on the 1.3 gHz chips is *very* low and it has taken/is taking Intel a while to accumulate enough of these chips to make serial production economically rational. This is a theoretical answer; I could be absolutely wrong. It could just be part of a greater plan to continue to torture would-be rMB buyers for as long as possible. :rolleyes: :(

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
You could ask what's taking so long to deliver ANY models, not just the 1.3.

But there are NONE in the wild yet! What is up with that? Is there something wrong?

If we get to some point where Apple says they are giving up on the 1.3GHz versions I'd be really ticked off.

enduser99

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2015
If we get to some point where Apple says they are giving up on the 1.3GHz versions I'd be really ticked off.

Nice rumor to start. You're more likely to get struck by lighting.

The 1.3's, contrary to how the website says "built to order", are NOT built to order. The 1.3's are probably backordered from Intel, but Apple didn't want to have to different "release dates", so they lied and said it's built-to-order and that's why its taking so long.

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
But there are NONE in the wild yet! What is up with that? Is there something wrong?

Even in a perfect world and a flawless launch the BTO 1.3 would not have been in the hands of customers for another 2 weeks or so.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Even in a perfect world and a flawless launch the BTO 1.3 would not have been in the hands of customers for another 2 weeks or so.

My problem is that I just saw the machines for the first time today (and I want mine NOW).

I wonder when we will see the first Geekbench scores?

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
In a way I'm happy that there aren't any rMBs out here in New Zealand yet... I can imagine that I would just end up buying the 1.2GHz rather than wait for my 1.3! :)

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
My problem is that I just saw the machines for the first time today (and I want mine NOW).

I wonder when we will see the first Geekbench scores?

On the 1.3s? Not sooner than when folks start receiving their orders. :) I would be surprised if there are any review units shipped for those.

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
In a way I'm happy that there aren't any rMBs out here in New Zealand yet... I can imagine that I would just end up buying the 1.2GHz rather than wait for my 1.3! :)

I hear ya, it is not easy waiting for a month; it was more tolerable last week when the shipping estimate for everyone was at 4-6 weeks (before all the Best Buy availability news started pouring in). But I am happy that it went the way it did and that people had the option to buy the MB in a timely manner. First world problems I know.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
I'm really interested in how this model performs.

Agreed. It will be interesting to see how Apple optimized it.

Will the higher turbo speeds hurt it in Geekbench tests (which force it to throttle)? it is not a cheap option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.