Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
I'm thinking about buying the Canon G7 x as a small travel camera. Played with it in a local store and liked the interface.

Anyone here have one and recommend it, or regret not buying the $150 more RX100 III? Do you find the lack of EVF to be a big deal in practice?

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I'm thinking about buying the Canon G7 x as a small travel camera. Played with it in a local store and liked the interface.

Anyone here have one and recommend it, or regret not buying the $150 more RX100 III? Do you find the lack of EVF to be a big deal in practice?

Hi, not got the G7x but i do have a MK1 and MK3 RX100.

My advice is dont buy the M3 on the strength of the EVF buy it because of great image quality for what it is. It was kind of fun at the time when i bought it and i thought it was THE killer feature to warrant a refresh. Now not so much. It is small and fiddly.

Image quality is fantastic for its size and it is a brilliant little camera with a superb lens but the EVF is a bit meh once you have used the camera a while. Unless the faster Zeiss lens is a specific want, then a MKII would be a good contender to look into too.

Just my opinion, i am no expert and my old 40+ eyes may have something to do with this view...

Last edited:

shinji

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Hi, not got the G7x but i do have a MK1 and MK3 RX100.

My advice is dont buy the M3 on the strength of the EVF buy it because of great image quality for what it is. It was kind of fun at the time when i bought it and i thought it was THE killer feature to warrant a refresh. Now not so much. It is small and fiddly.

Image quality is fantastic for its size and it is a brilliant little camera with a superb lens but the EVF is a bit meh once you have used the camera a while. Unless the faster Zeiss lens is a specific want, then a MKII would be a good contender to look into too.

Just my opinion, i am no expert and my old 40+ eyes may have something to do with this view...

I don't mind composing on a screen, but in bright sun, it's a real problem. This would be a travel camera, so...

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I don't mind composing on a screen, but in bright sun, it's a real problem. This would be a travel camera, so...

Yeah it is fine for that but it is shallow so you will have to cup you hand in some instances.

Great images from it though so a definite contender.

To be honest you will be fine with either I think. Which doesnt make the choice any easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.