Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
For those interested iOS 8.3 solved the issue, hope this don't come back never with future firmwares.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
My iPad Air 2 popped on 8.3 as well. So I don't think the issue has been fixed. The reduction in popping frequency may simply be because of higher summer temperatures.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Well guys i'm not sure about that, a few of us have been discussing those points before, so far we believe:

1) The pop noise you still have may not be the same loud strong static sound that we experienced. Why? because some people reporting the pop sound also have been reporting completely lost of sound, some of us have never experienced completely lost of sound. That appears to be a more serious issue.

But you only know that for sure.

2) Temperatures have nothing to do with it. Assuming that is like saying we all live in New York City and we all bought our ipads on December during snowfalls...

Last edited:
Reactions: Closingracer

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
My iPad Air 2 popped on 8.3 as well. So I don't think the issue has been fixed. The reduction in popping frequency may simply be because of higher summer temperatures.

My brother had the popping issue and he lives in South Florida.

We haven't heard a pop since 8.3 and we both were able to replicate the pop very easily prior to this update. All we had to do was repeatedly swipe up/down revealing the spotlight keyboard. Every 5-10 swipes and a pop like clockwork, on both devices. We can't get it to pop this way any longer, so Apple definitely fixed something.

It may be some devices aren't fixed? Not sure what to make of some saying the pop is still there, but many have posted on the Apple forums that their popping is gone since 8.3.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
It may be some devices aren't fixed? Not sure what to make of some saying the pop is still there, but many have posted on the Apple forums that their popping is gone since 8.3.

Perhaps, anyways i now see less people on the Apple forums complaining about this issue. I feel there was a point that it was just me against the trolls complaining still there. :rolleyes::cool::D

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
For those with an ipad air 2 still popping i suggest you to contact an Apple representative via online chat. He might offer you the following options:

1) A refund
2) A refurbished replacement.

Also use Apple forums to post your case, some trolls are gonna tell you Apple neve ever read those forums but don't believe them they do read them. ;)

Me, i can't say i can sing victory yet, as i mentioned above a bad firmware in the future could bring the issue back, hope not.

Good luck.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
I have just remembered I had this issue but eventually it stopped. So I guess it was a firmware issue but it took them months to fix it?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
It was fixed in iOS 8.3.

Ah didn't know that. Good to know it wasn't a hardware related issue. I managed to drown that noise out after a while so I totally forgot about it till I remembered I Started this thread

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.