Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2005
Raleigh Venture 7-speed. Nothing special, but it gets the job done.

Attachments

• RA14_Venture_M_dkblue.jpg
    RA14_Venture_M_dkblue.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 340

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
That thing, my friend, is beautiful. :eek:
Thank you! I remember the day those Zipp Firecrests were installed along with red-rimmed Michelin Pro Course tires. Changed the look entirely; guys at the bike shop snapped their own pics! Made me feel like a Ferrari owner :)

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
Thank you! I remember the day those Zipp Firecrests were installed along with red-rimmed Michelin Pro Course tires. Changed the look entirely; guys at the bike shop snapped their own pics! Made me feel like a Ferrari owner :)

It's a lovely looking bike. You look to have a very relaxed riding position for some very racy components though. How long are your 'typical' rides?

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
It's a lovely looking bike. You look to have a very relaxed riding position for some very racy components though. How long are your 'typical' rides?
A typical ride is 50 miles with about 3500 aggregate feet of climbing. This is a Roubaix with dampeners in the fork and seat stays for a smoother ride. The riding position is comfort-oriented as you can see from the compact frame and the angle of the handle bars. Being my first road bike, I prioritized comfort over raw speed.

Heavy Fluid

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Took this:

JqWt20j.png

Stripped the parts off, for this:

BQKSm5o.jpg

The Jamis was a commuter/fun bike, and the Felt will be the same.
The Felt rides really nicely on the street which is surprising. Going to swap out the Vittoria Rubino slick 23's for a set of Gatorskin 23's soon. It weighs in at 16lbs, 11oz which puts a huge smile on my face.

Reactions: rhythmac

durtgeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2015
My new bike love....Wilier Imperiele - I'm so in love with it! Italian style and class all the way...Campy Chrorus/Record.....rides like a dream!

a41425a32d842ded1cbdb6df15494c89.jpg

Runqen

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
Took this:

The Felt rides really nicely on the street which is surprising. Going to swap out the Vittoria Rubino slick 23's for a set of Gatorskin 23's soon. It weighs in at 16lbs, 11oz which puts a huge smile on my face.

I really love the look of that kind of bikes, but i dont really get them.

It's a single speed if im not misstaken?
You use it for commuting, like ride to work and back? Summer only or all year?

I'd like to get a bike like that, but it feels wierd, like a supersport bike with only one gear. Can you even ride it wearing jeans, for example? Isnt the riding position unpractical if you have to stop from time to time, like at redlights or such?

Please, enlighten me. I want to get a bike like that just for the looks of it. But, since it seems to be a popular kind of bike there must be more to it.

Heavy Fluid

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
I really love the look of that kind of bikes, but i dont really get them.

It's a single speed if im not misstaken?
You use it for commuting, like ride to work and back? Summer only or all year?

I'd like to get a bike like that, but it feels wierd, like a supersport bike with only one gear. Can you even ride it wearing jeans, for example? Isnt the riding position unpractical if you have to stop from time to time, like at redlights or such?

Please, enlighten me. I want to get a bike like that just for the looks of it. But, since it seems to be a popular kind of bike there must be more to it.

Both bikes were/are fixed gear, so single speed of sorts with only one gear, but there is no freewheel to coast. If the rear wheel moves, the pedals move.

I do commute to work on one of my fixed gear bikes as long as it is not raining, snowing, or icy out. I guess I am a fair weather commuter for the most part. I do have a fat bike for the snow/ice. This year I have accrued just shy of 1300 miles so far, including commutes to work and fun rides. Most of these have been on a fixed gear bike.

You can easily ride it wearing jeans, although jeans are some of the most uncomfortable things you can wear while riding. The crotch/butt area tends to wear out extremely fast if you have a lot of saddle time. Simply secure the right pant leg either with a strap or by rolling it up so that it avoids the chain because you do not want to get that caught in the chain.

Once you get the cockpit of the bike set to your needs, it is actually very comfortable. I rode the black Felt 30 miles today with only one short stop on a charity ride supporting the local hospice. I had previously done 59 miles last year on a similar ride on a fixed gear bike as well.

You can get a bike like this and run it as a single speed, you would just need a wheel that has a flip flop hub or is a dedicated single speed. One thing about that though, with some of the bikes, is that they are not set up to run a rear brake. Neither fixed gear bike that I have will take one. If you decide to go single speed, having a front and rear brake is really ideal. With a fixed gear, the rear wheel will act as a brake as you pedal backwards to slow down in conjunction with a front brake.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask!

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Both bikes were/are fixed gear, so single speed of sorts with only one gear, but there is no freewheel to coast. If the rear wheel moves, the pedals move.

I do commute to work on one of my fixed gear bikes as long as it is not raining, snowing, or icy out. I guess I am a fair weather commuter for the most part. I do have a fat bike for the snow/ice. This year I have accrued just shy of 1300 miles so far, including commutes to work and fun rides. Most of these have been on a fixed gear bike.

You can easily ride it wearing jeans, although jeans are some of the most uncomfortable things you can wear while riding. The crotch/butt area tends to wear out extremely fast if you have a lot of saddle time. Simply secure the right pant leg either with a strap or by rolling it up so that it avoids the chain because you do not want to get that caught in the chain.

Once you get the cockpit of the bike set to your needs, it is actually very comfortable. I rode the black Felt 30 miles today with only one short stop on a charity ride supporting the local hospice. I had previously done 59 miles last year on a similar ride on a fixed gear bike as well.

You can get a bike like this and run it as a single speed, you would just need a wheel that has a flip flop hub or is a dedicated single speed. One thing about that though, with some of the bikes, is that they are not set up to run a rear brake. Neither fixed gear bike that I have will take one. If you decide to go single speed, having a front and rear brake is really ideal. With a fixed gear, the rear wheel will act as a brake as you pedal backwards to slow down in conjunction with a front brake.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask!

Just wanted to say those both are beautiful bikes! If I may ask though what is the purpose of those "rims" (not sure what they are actually called). Do they assist in better aerodynamics or something? They sure do look great.

Heavy Fluid

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Just wanted to say those both are beautiful bikes! If I may ask though what is the purpose of those "rims" (not sure what they are actually called). Do they assist in better aerodynamics or something? They sure do look great.

Thank you very much. The red wheel isn't that deep, just a 30mm deep V. It does help a little with aerodynamics, but overall, not that much. They appear to be bigger than they are since they are red. My other bike has a similar depth wheel but since they are black, they don't look that big. I should post a picture with the extra front wheel that I sometimes use. That is deep.

rhythmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2009
NYC
Took this:

Hey Heavy Fluid, are you on BikeForums?

ManUtd08

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
I dont have a picture but....could any of you all recommend an entry-level road bike for a beginner/someone wanting to get into cycling.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Got my 13 year old daughter this 27.5" tire MTB bike.
She's 5ft 4in expect her to grow to 5ft 8in.
For under $500 I'm amazed the value.
Hydraulic disc brakes, front suspension with adjust lock out.
e3cb37ba236f2d2f5a259dfe7cc660d9.jpg

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
@ Bangwad.jpg
Olive.jpg

While there are quite a few recreational cyclists on campus, the are just three of us (out of several hundred staff, and thousands of students) who use bicycles as day to day transport.

Mine is at the top, a Chinese cheapie that I bought new, for about $150, some 12 years ago. I have used it most days since then, for most journeys within about a 12 km radius of my apartment. Every moving part has been replaced at least once; it is on to the fifth set of tyres….. and the best by far (Panasonic Pantourer) I have a small motorcycle for travelling further afield.

Olive is a colleague who recently arrived from China. She inherited her bike from her predecessor in the Chinese Language department.

Neither of us own a scrap of lycra.

Olivia lives on campus and has no problem with riding in a skirt and high heels….. She manages it very elegantly, in fact.

For commuting and getting around campus I tuck my right trouser leg, as folks did years ago. Away from work just regular shorts and flip flops are my usual attire (except for motorcycling when I prefer sturdy sandals).

Reactions: Digger148
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.