Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

longhorn84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
I move my videos from my phone to Dropbox to save space. Both online and on the desktop version, the metadata is erased (created date and time specifically) when I export videos out of Photos. Thoughts on how to change?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I move my videos from my phone to Dropbox to save space. Both online and on the desktop version, the metadata is erased (created date and time specifically) when I export videos out of Photos. Thoughts on how to change?

Exporting from your iPhone, not Photos in Mac (this is the Mac software forum)?
If I remember correctly, from iPhone, that's done as a safety precaution, to not divulge location info and other specifics that could compromise the persons sharing the images or pictured in the images (folks do have a tendency to post images in public places on the web).

From Photos on Mac, you can export without stripping the metadata.

longhorn84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
Not in my experience, it makes the created date today vs when it was actually created using the Photos app in Mac. It also strips the created date when you download from iCloud.com, it makes the modified and created dates today which screws up any sorting by date functionality.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
Hello. Sorry to revive an old thread, but it's better than opening a new one since the OP's question still seems unanswered.

I do something similar to what the OP does, which is import the videos from my iPhone to my Mac through Photos. As long as the videos are inside the app, the info is always shown correctly.

But as soon as I export them or drag them out to the desktop, all the metadata (both date created and modified) changes to the current date and time, which seems to be a very unwise move from the app.

Dear OP, have you found a solution yet? or does anyone else have an idea about this?

Thanks.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Hello. Sorry to revive an old thread, but it's better than opening a new one since the OP's question still seems unanswered.

I do something similar to what the OP does, which is import the videos from my iPhone to my Mac through Photos. As long as the videos are inside the app, the info is always shown correctly.

But as soon as I export them or drag them out to the desktop, all the metadata (both date created and modified) changes to the current date and time, which seems to be a very unwise move from the app.

Dear OP, have you found a solution yet? or does anyone else have an idea about this?

Thanks.
Are you sure the creation date/time in exif is changed? These images can have several dates and times associated with them. What does exiftool or a similar application show for the file in question?

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Are you sure the creation date/time in exif is changed? These images can have several dates and times associated with them. What does exiftool or a similar application show for the file in question?

Excellent point. The file that is created at the receiving device is a new file that is a copy of the original. The Created and Modified date shown in Finder will always be the date of the creation of this new copy.

longhorn84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
I gave up on it a while ago, seems by the comments above that it's still an issue.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
exif? I'm not that pro in these kinds of stuff, I'm just interested to have the metadata showed correctly in finder, so that when I sort files they have correct dates and times.

longhorn84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
Yeah, it really sucks, seems like it creates a new photo instead of copying the actual photo. Not sure if there is a work around for massive amounts of photos. And I'm also not sure why you and I seem to be the only people who care?

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
Yeah, it really sucks, seems like it creates a new photo instead of copying the actual photo. Not sure if there is a work around for massive amounts of photos. And I'm also not sure why you and I seem to be the only people who care?

It's annoying. true. and hopefully someone will help out with this.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
Are you sure the exif data is not preserved in the photos/videos if you use File>Export option instead? (as opposed to dragging the file out of the app)

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
Are you sure the exif data is not preserved in the photos/videos if you use File>Export option instead? (as opposed to dragging the file out of the app)

You, sir, deserve a prize! That was it. The exif data is preserved only if the files are exported using the "File>Export Unmodified Original..." option instead of dragging them out or using the regular "File>Export 1 Video..." option (this actually changes the size as well, whereas the former leaves it as is).

Thank you for pointing it out!

Reactions: NazgulRR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.