Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VFN

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
My father's got 6 or 7 networks in his Network menu--some of which work and seem to come from other houses. When waking from sleep his Pro changes from the network he uses to one named Xfinity--his ISP--which doesn't work. Why is the network changing and what can he do to fix this.

Thanks as always.

Android300zx

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2012
Click on the Airport icon in the Menu Bar then click on Open Network Preferences. Once in there hit the Advance button on the bottom right of the window. In the next screen you will see a list of Networks in the middle. Click on XFinity and then hit the Minus sign to get rid of it from the list. Alternatively, you can drag the networks in the order you prefer as well. It would also be a good time to delete other networks on the list that have no relevance. After you make the changes hit OK then APPLY and he should be good to go.

FumbleDuck

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2015
In addition to Android300zx's excellent advice, you can also tick the checkbox which requires authentication from the admin in order to change networks.

VFN

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Where is that checkbox? And I presume that if you check it when on the current network a change can't take place unless you do so administratively?

Thanks Android, will pass that on and see how that goes.

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
Where is that checkbox? And I presume that if you check it when on the current network a change can't take place unless you do so administratively?

Thanks Android, will pass that on and see how that goes.

Here:

Attachments

• ask.png
    ask.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 55

FumbleDuck

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2015

This one under System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-11 at 09.23.47.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-11 at 09.23.47.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 60

VFN

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Seems to be working so far but I have a question: With that box checked will his Pro pick up the network that's available at another office which it's done before?

Thanks.

FumbleDuck

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2015
Seems to be working so far but I have a question: With that box checked will his Pro pick up the network that's available at another office which it's done before?

Thanks.

Hmmm, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think it will be a problem.

I am assuming that as long as you don't have two networks in the same location that you want to swap between you'll be OK. If there's only one network that you want to connect to at any one location, it should always connect to that one.

VFN

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Thanks. If things continue as is, the fix was a success.

VFN

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Just got word that the problem cropped up again so we'll try deleting the "Xfinity" network and see if that works, although I read somewhere else that sometimes the deleted network returns.

VFN

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
My father deleted the Xfinity network that was giving him problems but now it appears that another network jumps to the top of the list after sleep as well. I advised him to delete all other networks--haven't heard back yet--but can someone tell me what determines which network jumps to the top of the network list? Is it signal strength perhaps?

Thanks.

VFN

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Update: Xfinity has come back on the network list after deletion so I'm not sure where that leaves this issue.

Thanks.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Update: Xfinity has come back on the network list after deletion so I'm not sure where that leaves this issue.

Thanks.

Is it still connecting to Xfinity or it is just there?

At work, I have logged into a guest wifi in our building when ours is being finicky. Sometimes now that one comes up first and my laptop connects to it. I figure it out when I try to print and can't. Otherwise it's not a big deal in my case, but it can see where it would be annoying if it happened all the time.

VFN

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Not sure if it's still selecting Xfinity as my father is not very observant or fluent with his Mac and Xfinity just recently returned. When Xfinity was deleted for a while his Mac apparently chose another incorrect network. The general problem is his Mac loses his Home network randomly after waking from sleep. I'm visiting next week so maybe hands on I can resolve the issue although from what I read and seen by now it may not be so simple.

VFN

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Just spoke to my father and he says his Pro hasn't tried to connect to Xfinity since its deletion even though it returned to the network list. He also says that since its deletion he's had no problems with loss of connectivity or changing networks. (One caveat here is that he may've jumped to a neighbor's unlocked network without knowing I suppose.) So the issue seems to be fixed.

I'm curious why you asked the question about connecting to Xfinity after it returned? Is it the case that even if a deleted network returns the Pro won't select it?

Thanks.

If no one chooses to respond to this last question I just want to say how grateful I am to every one who helped. :)

VFN

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
At my father's and experienced the issue myself now. It could be that it's related to the Yosemite update that I just installed but I have a question: I deleted the "xfinitywifi" network in the advanced options and clicked apply but it's still listed in the dropdown menu. Should this be the case?

Thanks.

RogerKmilw

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2014
Milwaukee, WI
Ive had a similar issue. When waking my new 13" mbp (after it being in sleep mode for 15 min or more) it shows it connected to my home network but it is not connected at all. After trying to resolve it myself to no avail I called Apple Care. Their solution was similar to the suggestions above - deleting unused networks from the list. However this did not work so I took it the Apple Store. Instead of trying to pinpoint the issue on my machine, the AS Genius just wanted to give me a new mbp. I was ok with that. So I get my new one home and before running the OS X updates everything was fine. It wasn't until I updated that the same issue started again. I can only assume this is a Yosemite bug. If anyone can suggest a fix it would be greatly appreciated.

VFN

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2012
There seems to be several fixes that have varying degrees of success. Here's one I ran across last night I hadn't seen before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.