Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Has anyone switched from Netflix billing to iTunes billing for Netflix on the Apple TV? Is that even possible and if so do you lose your Netflix account with all of its history, queue, etc.?

I was just wondering because I'm planning on signing up for Hulu Plus through the Apple TV and figured now would be a good time to switch my Netflix over to iTunes billing as well.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Didn't even know they had the option do do the billing through itunes. I always had subscriptions to both services before.

quebec

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
Quebec City, Canada
Yes, it's easy. Log on to the Netflix website, close your account. (Don't worry, you won't lose anything.) It will tell you that your account will continue to be available as usual until the next billing date. After that date, access Netflix (must do this at the :apple:TV) and you will be able to reactivate your same account (same user ID, password) and then you will be billed through iTunes. I think your Netflix ID (email) must be the same as your Apple ID, but I may be mistaken.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
Yes, it's easy. Log on to the Netflix website, close your account. (Don't worry, you won't lose anything.) It will tell you that your account will continue to be available as usual until the next billing date. After that date, access Netflix (must do this at the :apple:TV) and you will be able to reactivate your same account (same user ID, password) and then you will be billed through iTunes. I think your Netflix ID (email) must be the same as your Apple ID, but I may be mistaken.

thanks!

is there any reason to be billed thru itunes and not via paypal from netflix?

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
thanks!

To screw Netflix over, and give Apple a 30% cut? Plus, you can often find iTunes gift cards at a 20% discount.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
thanks!

I'm doing it because I like to consolidate as much of my billing as possible. Less people/companies to deal with, less hassle, and less risk.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I wanted to post that quebec's instructions do work. As stated, you have to make sure your Netflix account is closed first before signing into your account on the Apple TV. I don't think your Netflix email address has to match your iTunes email, but I could be mistaken about that.

robgbne

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
Can't access Netflix site

I signed up through AppleTV and was billed through iTunes, however it meant that I couldn't access the Netflix site. While they recognised my iTunes email, they wouldn't provide any access to the site without signing up a credit card and account.

Maybe if you have a Netflix account, then transfer to iTunes you can access the site, but not the other way around. I'll cancel my iTunes account, start and Netflix account, then (maybe) move it back to iTunes.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
I signed up through AppleTV and was billed through iTunes, however it meant that I couldn't access the Netflix site. While they recognised my iTunes email, they wouldn't provide any access to the site without signing up a credit card and account.

Maybe if you have a Netflix account, then transfer to iTunes you can access the site, but not the other way around. I'll cancel my iTunes account, start and Netflix account, then (maybe) move it back to iTunes.

I am billed through itunes as well and can still access the netflix suite. Don't remember how I managed it, but got some help from the netflix support (as far as I remember, it was easy although not obvious at first sight).

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I am billed through itunes as well and can still access the netflix suite. Don't remember how I managed it, but got some help from the netflix support (as far as I remember, it was easy although not obvious at first sight).

If you, or anyone, who know how to access Netflix on Safari I'd be appreciated. I also got billing through iTunes. Can watch on iPad and Apple TV but not browser.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
If you, or anyone, who know how to access Netflix on Safari I'd be appreciated. I also got billing through iTunes. Can watch on iPad and Apple TV but not browser.

Have you tried to create an account on their WEB site with same e-mail/account name as iTunes ? I would otherwise recommend you contact Netflix support (they have a chat service, at least if you have a Netflix WEB account).

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Have you tried to create an account on their WEB site with same e-mail/account name as iTunes ? I would otherwise recommend you contact Netflix support (they have a chat service, at least if you have a Netflix WEB account).

I have an account and a password when I subscribed to iTunes. Logged in with that account and I couldn't browse a content. I can edit my account there though.
Is it because my plan is this:?

image-5D1C_55434CED.jpg

That doesn't sound like it include a Mac? But yet I can watch on my iPad. :confused:

Last edited:

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I now subscribe to HBO Now and when I go to one of my 6 Apple TV's I just say "Restore" my Subscription. That alone would be reason to switch Netflix and Hulu to iTunes Billing. There needs to be a better way to login to ALL of my App's on Apple TV. But maybe that is the reason for Apple to get people to Subscribe via iTunes.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
If you started out with iTunes billing, I think to way to get your Netflix password is to go to the Netflix website and go through the steps to reset your password. Use your iTunes email address, and the password reset instructions will be sent to that address.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I would be afraid of losing my $7.99 per month pricing. I'll keep letting Netflix bill me.

Yeah I could see that as an issue. I changed to iTunes billing a long time ago while it was still $7.99, but I created a whole new account. That was during the transition from DVD's to streaming. The reason I went with the iTunes billing was because I was buying iTunes gift cards at 20%+ discount.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
To screw Netflix over, and give Apple a 30% cut? Plus, you can often find iTunes gift cards at a 20% discount.

Why on earth would you want to "screw Netflix over?"

The less money they get, the less quality shows and movies they'll be able to produce or get the rights to.

I find Netflix to be a great deal. Actually, a particularly great deal when compared to iTunes....

Keep Apple's grubby hands off the already low Netflix fees. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.