Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 7, 2014
Opening up this discussion to you all. I respect your opinions and value your personal feedback.

I'm going to pick up a Z3 this week to give it a shot while I still have my Galaxy S6 return window open. Want to try them both side by side and see which one I like more. I own a OnePlus One, which I really like, but I also wish to go back to a smaller device. I also own an iPhone 6 that I rarely use anymore. I'll likely sell both if I can settle on either the S6 or the Z3.

Here's the breakdown of what I think will be the advantages/disadvantages of the Z3 versus the S6.

GALAXY S6

Advantages:

Screen - utterly sublime, even in daylight.

Camera - great reliable camera. Fast.

Call/GPS quality - Had a chance to use both a lot over the weekend. Issue-free.

Design - the gold is really special and beautiful. Only one knock here is the device is slippery as heck.

Band 12 LTE - not sure how big of a deal this is. I'm on Tmobile, and apparently they'll be rolling out Band 12 more and more as the year progresses. So this might be a bigger factor down the line. Better building penetration, apparently.

Speaker loudness - This thing screams. Love it during GPS usage.

Wireless charging & Quick charge - Haven't really taken advantage of wireless charging yet, not until I commit to the device,

Disadvantages:

Unreliable fingerprint scanner - It's good, but I still get too many failed attempts, and as such, overall, it feels like it slows me down accessing my phone. This isn't a huge disadvantage per se, cause I can always turn it off and use pin/pattern.

Average battery life - This is a bigger concern. Seems like I'll be able to manage a day, but it's something I'll have to either keep an eye out for, or use Quick Charge/Wireless charging to really be safe.

Physical button - This ties with the fingerprint scanner. If I'm sacrificing software keys for a physical home button, it's got to be worth it. At this point, it's sort of not. I've grown to really like software keys. It requires less to depress the physical button. I can tap the software key versus having to press down, which requires resistive force, little though it may be.

Some TW lag - This is another decently big issue. Lag creeps up on this phone from time to time. Things hang a bit, be it with the keyboard & backspacing, launching apps, launching the app switcher, or general stutter. It still happens. Even when playing Tetris, the blocks don't rotate as quickly, it feels. It's not a major big deal, but it's there.

More bloat - Both MS, Samsung, and Tmobile bloat is present. Not a major deal.

Back Button on wrong side! - Self explanatory. Requires the thumb to bend a lot to reach. With a device this slippery, this doesn't help.

XPERIA Z3

Advantages:

Battery life - Apparently exceptional. A lot of reviews/users speak of two days of use on a single charge. This would be sweet.

More optimized software - I'm not crazy about the Xperia skin, but apparently the software is light and close to stock, which results in reviews/users speaking about amazing smoothness. I could throw Google Now Launcher over it and probably be happy.

Less bloatware - Because I'd be getting the unlocked version, there'd be little to no bloat, other than Sony stuff.

Potentially faster software updates - Again, because it's unlocked.
On screen buttons - In my opinion, easier to use, plus the back button is on the correct side. Plus, sliding up to access Google Now is easier than long pressing the physical home button. Also, back button on the correct side!

Waterproofing - This is neat, but I'll never submerge it in water anyway.

More storage (microSD) - Unlocked version is only 16GB, but I'll likely add a 64GB microSD, or if I'm crazy, I can jump it up to 128.

About $200 cheaper - Factoring everything in, including screen protectors, the 64GB microSD, magnetic dock connector, etc., the Z3 is still about $200 cheaper than the S6. Both are being bought off contract. Saving $200 bucks would be pretty sweet.

Dual front speakers - This is nice, but I hear the quality/loudness can sound muffled. These will likely be lower than the S6 cause that thing can be loud. Anybody with first hand experience of how well the speakers are?

Disadvantages:

Hard to access USB port - Due to the waterproofing, the USB port is behind a closed cover. Can get annoying and will likely have to buy a magnetic dock connector.

Call/GPS quality untested - Won't know until later today. Again, anyone with first hand experience?

Lacks Band 12 - It should have all the other LTE bands for Tmobile, but it's lacking this future-proofing Band. Though rollout apparently won't happen until later this year or even into 2016. By then, I'd probably be getting a different phone? Or can live with Band 12-less until I do in 2016...?

Camera - Probably won't be as good or as fast or as reliable as the S6's camera, but reviews still say it's good. The one area that it may be a bigger differentiator is probably low-light shots. S6 seems to do well in those situations, and not so much the Z3.

Screen - Screen is going to be less sharp, which isn't a big deal, but may also be less brighter and usable in daylight. Less vibrant, too. Not a deal breaker, but definitely not as good as the S6, I would imagine.

Starts with 16GB storage - will this be a problem? I know you can load apps now onto the microSD since Lollipop, but does that mean I have to manually move them each time I download an app? How does this all work?

Anyway, that's it for now. Am I missing anything? Anything else I should consider between the two? Anybody with experience with both devices that can attest to what I've got here?

Thanks. I'd likely get the copper color Z3, too, if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
I won't touch the z3 if I were you. It has serious hardware issues. For example, the main camera has a pink spot and has light leaks between the front glass.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 7, 2014
I won't touch the z3 if I were you. It has serious hardware issues. For example, the main camera has a pink spot and has light leaks between the front glass.

Woah I'll have to look into this. Is it a wide spread problem? I haven't heard much about this.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
I wont take my own personal experience as the truth
I really hate people who spread their bad experience and warn other people
''its a bad product''
I have Xperia Z since the begining, now a Z3 Compact, not a single issue but also reckon a few people got issues as well
Z3 is great and solid smartphone overall
For OP, obviously S6 is way more powerful, faster and camera, total mismatch in favor of S6 (the best camera i ever seen for smartphone)
In the other hand, Z3 has also a premium design, waterproof, its faster and powerful enough, not real weakness but it doesnt have also a strong avdantages like S6 does (camera, specs...)
The biggest advantage its battery life, amazing, 2/3 days without any issue
Sony has 3/4 Xperia models in top 10 from GSMArena battery life charts
They are both great in my opinion, you cant go wrong in any other way

Last edited:

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I'm not sure why you would compare these two devices as the S6 obviously is better and newer.

The camera on the Z3 is crap but otherwise a good 2014 device. Unlocked doesn't really mean you'll get updates any faster than if the device is carrier branded - my unlocked sim-free Z3C got Android L just last weekend.. not particularly speedy by Sony. They said January, then March, then April. I'll be surprised if it gets much more in the way of updates.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 7, 2014
I guess I should explain that the reason I'm comparing the two is because the z3 was the closest second choice after the one plus.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Seems like a big step back IMO.

I'm not sure why you would compare these two devices as the S6 obviously is better and newer.

But isn't better only relative to the individual user? What you value in your smartphone may be entirely different than another's. Just because one device may appear better on paper doesn't mean that also holds sway in real life usage.

For instance, if someone places higher value on things like expandable memory, water resistance, or battery life, why would you recommend the inferior device in these areas? And I think it's pretty evident that the software experience varies greatly across devices. TouchWiz is very polarizing and it alone might be enough to keep someone from using the S6a--it's the predominant reason I wouldn't buy one, regardless of the better specs. What good is that amazing display if I don't like what using it for?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I had a Z2 and thought it was decent but was frustrated by the camera results despite a 20mp sensor - any of the modes only capture in 8mp.

Battery was excellent though and device was speedy - in general.

I had considered getting the Z3 compact when I bought my Alpha.

I didn't like the flaps for charging port on Z2. Hate flaps.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 7, 2014
I had a Z2 and thought it was decent but was frustrated by the camera results despite a 20mp sensor - any of the modes only capture in 8mp.

Battery was excellent though and device was speedy - in general.

I had considered getting the Z3 compact when I bought my Alpha.

I didn't like the flaps for charging port on Z2. Hate flaps.

I think the flaps thing would bother me a ton, too. Which is why if I do go the Z3 route, I would get a dock connector and try to use the flap port to charge as little as possible.

Given it's insane battery life, I should only need to charge at night when goign to bed. I would keep the doc connector right on my bedstand. Hopefully wouldn't ever have to open that flap, at least not frequently.

I worry about the camera performance for the Z3, too. Some say it's great, some say it's not. Such a huge range of difference feedback. =T

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think the flaps thing would bother me a ton, too. Which is why if I do go the Z3 route, I would get a dock connector and try to use the flap port to charge as little as possible.

Given it's insane battery life, I should only need to charge at night when goign to bed. I would keep the doc connector right on my bedstand. Hopefully wouldn't ever have to open that flap, at least not frequently.

I worry about the camera performance for the Z3, too. Some say it's great, some say it's not. Such a huge range of difference feedback. =T
If you are willing to learn and use the manual mode you will likely get some great shots.

Yeah the dock connector is definitely the way to go.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 7, 2014
But isn't better only relative to the individual user? What you value in your smartphone may be entirely different than another's. Just because one device may appear better on paper doesn't mean that also holds sway in real life usage.

For instance, if someone places higher value on things like expandable memory, water resistance, or battery life, why would you recommend the inferior device in these areas? And I think it's pretty evident that the software experience varies greatly across devices. TouchWiz is very polarizing and it alone might be enough to keep someone from using the S6a--it's the predominant reason I wouldn't buy one, regardless of the better specs. What good is that amazing display if I don't like what using it for?

I guess the only way to know is to try both devices. Hopefully I can get my hands on the Z3 soon.

To be honest, my gut says I'll like the Z3 better despite a few compromises. My main concerns with the Z3 are the camera being as good as people claim it is, and the call/GPS quality.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I guess the only way to know is to try both devices. Hopefully I can get my hands on the Z3 soon.

To be honest, my gut says I'll like the Z3 better despite a few compromises. My main concerns with the Z3 are the camera being as good as people claim it is, and the call/GPS quality.

Coming from the S6, you'll probably be disappointed by the display. It's decent but not as good of an LCD as the iPhone or HTC One models and no where near the quality of the latest Samsung.

IIRC, the camera can be very good but I believe I read that its auto functions actually are limited to 8 MP (uses something called pixel binning :confused:).

I'll let you decide what you think of Sony's skin..I wasn't impressed, found it a bit bland but YMMV.

Best of luck, looking forward to reading your impressions.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 7, 2014
I wont take my own personal experience as the truth
I really hate people who spread their bad experience and warn other people
''its a bad product''
I have Xperia Z since the begining, now a Z3 Compact, not a single issue but also reckon a few people got issues as well
Z3 is great and solid smartphone overall
For OP, obviously S6 is way more powerful, faster and camera, total mismatch in favor of S6 (the best camera i ever seen for smartphone)
In the other hand, Z3 has also a premium design, waterproof, its faster and powerful enough, not real weakness but it doesnt have also a strong avdantages like S6 does (camera, specs...)
The biggest advantage its battery life, amazing, 2/3 days without any issue
Sony has 3/4 Xperia models in top 10 from GSMArena battery life charts
They are both great in my opinion, you cant go wrong in any other way

Can you tell me what your signal/call and GPS experiences have been for your Z3C?

----------

Coming from the S6, you'll probably be disappointed by the display. It's decent but not as good of an LCD as the iPhone or HTC One models and no where near the quality of the latest Samsung.

IIRC, the camera can be very good but I believe I read that its auto functions actually are limited to 8 MP (uses something called pixel binning :confused:).

I'll let you decide what you think of Sony's skin..I wasn't impressed, found it a bit bland but YMMV.

Best of luck, looking forward to reading your impressions.

Gotta admit, the S6 screen is so good it may be the deciding factor. The S6 may be worth keeping for the screen.

----------

If you are willing to learn and use the manual mode you will likely get some great shots.

Yeah the dock connector is definitely the way to go.

Manual mode = sad Epicrayban :(

I want iPh6 reliability, which the S6 offers. Which is why this decision overall will be pretty hard to make. Which is why I made this thread.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 7, 2014
I think what it'll really come down to is whether or not I can accept the z3 camera. I've been doing research about it and apparently the auto mode is utter crap, where they over process the image so much so to the point that it looks fake. Bizarre. Manual mode gets you a good picture but obviously won't be as fast or easy as just a quick snap.

Why are apple and Samsung the only ones who know how to process images well? How come no one else can figure this out? Clearly not HTC or motorola.

IdealTech

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2014
Canada
Sony just announced the Z4 today so you might want to wait out a little if you're seriously considering a Sony alternative to the S6.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
@OP
GPS/signal call, i didn't notice any issue
About flaps, buy magnetic cable, Magnetor x-203, small adapter to add into stock usb cable
Or you can buy official dock

----------

In what universe is the Z3 in the same class as the S6?
I actually prefer Z3 over S6 if battery life, waterproof, premium design do matter for you
I do admit i very like S6 because its powerful, new design and awesome camera but Z3 has many advantages over s6 (SD slot, waterproof, battery life)
Both looks good

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
In general, the Z3 Compact is a much better phone than the Z3 itself.

Very different to the S6, not a proper comparison tbh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.