Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Does the display look good on your tv? I have a 42" lcd and a 32". Does it mirror everything you do such as web browsing too, or are there certain things it cannot mirror? It sounds like you can essentially turn your macbook laptop into a desktop sort of by mirroring the display.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Does the display look good on your tv? I have a 42" lcd and a 32". Does it mirror everything you do such as web browsing too, or are there certain things it cannot mirror? It sounds like you can essentially turn your macbook laptop into a desktop sort of by mirroring the display.

Right. You can even close the lid, and as long as the laptop is plugged into power and the TV (or a monitor), it will effectively function as a desktop.

Displaying an image on a TV can be great, with some caveats. You have to make sure the TV is set to display the pure image coming over the HDMI cable and isn't modifying it by scaling it (overscan) or applying sharpening or anything. That can really ruin the image quality if you're using a TV as a computer monitor.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
clamshell mode works great. I had my 2012 15" practically in clamshell mode for at least a year.

I use an 11" air now in clamshell mode and it's great. I cut cable years ago, and it's my home theater computer.

Never had an issue with clamshell mode..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.