Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamietheMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Scotland
Hi all

I want a pair of blutooth headphones for my Mac Book Pro Early 2011

i was look at either these

Sony DR-BTN200M

Specifications:

Bluetooth: V3.0
Bluetooth: V1.2 (headset HSP), V1.5 (handsfree HFP)
A2DP: 1.2
AVRCP: 1.3

or

Bluedio T2S (Turbine 2 Shooting Brake) Bluetooth stereo headphones wireless headphones Bluetooth 4.1

Bluetooth 4.1 Chip: It's the latest Bluetooth chip, which can transmit data at high speed and bring you smooth music experience. And its low power ensures long lasting battery life: up to 40 hours continuous music time. Also it works well with most mobile phones like iPhone/HTC/Motorola/LG/Samsung...

which are my Preference

So will i be able to use either of these or does anyone know if blutooth 4.0 works in general on a 2011 MBP

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
... does anyone know if blutooth 4.0 works in general on a 2011 MBP

- It does not. The 2011s have Bluetooth 2.1. 4.0 was introduced with the 2012 models.

However, one can upgrade a 2011 MacBook Pro to 4.0 by replacing its AirPort/Bluetooth card with one from a 2012 model (as indeed I have done on mine). What screen size do you have?

(I can't comment on the headset compatibility. I'm speaking strictly of Bluetooth versions here.)

JamietheMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Scotland
Im on the 15inch

by the way is it easy to replace the Airport/Bluetooth card? and can you point me to the correct part to order

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
You'll get lag if your watching films unless a fix was pushed through but I only got rid of my 2011 last year and it was like that when I sold it.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Im on the 15inch

by the way is it easy to replace the Airport/Bluetooth card? and can you point me to the correct part to order

If you're fairly handy with hardware replacements in general, it shouldn't be too difficult. It does involve a fair bit of screw, cable and tape removal, though.
Here is a guide from Ifixit for the replacement.

And you need part number BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX. I purchased from this Ebay seller and had no problems.

Another cool thing is that you can enable the newer Yosemite Continuity features with some software tweaks after the upgrade. Handoff, Instant Hotspot, and AirDrop between OS X and iOS require Bluetooth 4.0.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Im on the 15inch

It's do-able.

But honestly BT headphones sound like crap, too much compression going on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.