Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
George's clever use of the English language must seem daunting to people used to Marvel comics.

This kind of prose flows for me. GRRM weaves a thrilling, easy reading story, although I'm still on Feast of Crows- slow reader. :) :

“That’s my good boy.” The rule was hers; Cersei did not mean to give it up until Tommen came of age. I waited, so can he. I waited half my life. She had played the dutiful daughter, the blushing bride, the pliant wife. She had suffered Robert’s drunken groping, Jaime’s jealousy, Renly’s mockery, Varys with his titters, Stannis endlessly grinding his teeth. She had contended with Jon Arryn, Ned Stark, and her vile, treacherous, murderous dwarf brother, all the while promising herself that one day it would be her turn. If Margaery Tyrell thinks to cheat me of my hour in the sun, she had bloody well think again.”

Excerpt From: George R. R. Martin. “A Feast for Crows.” Bantam Books, 2005. iBooks. This material may be protected by copyright.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
George's clever use of the English language must seem daunting to people used to Marvel comics.

lol, is this supposed to be some kind of insult? "Clever use of the English language"- give me a break. If you want some real clever use of the English language, try Jane Austen.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As I'm still reading the books, please resist throughout out big spoilers. Thanks! :)

Tonight's episode is yet to air, but we just watched last week's episode and I'm a bit perturbed that (I'm halfway through Feast of Crows) they seem to be consolidating and altering a significant part of the story-

Instead of a fake Ayra Stark marrying a Ramsey Bolton, they are going to have the real Sansa Stark marry him even as there is basically a bounty on her from Kingslanding?? For a story where they claim to outpacing the author, I'm kinda shocked they took this kind of a significant shortcut and alteration, unless in the book this detour kind of fissels out.

Last edited:

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
As I'm still reading the books, please resist throughout out big spoilers. Thanks! :)

Tonight's episode is yet to air, but we just watched last week's episode and I'm a bit perturbed that (I'm halfway through Feast of Crows) they seem to be consolidating and altering a significant part of the story-

Instead of a fake Ayra Stark marrying a Ramsey Bolton, they are going to have the real Sansa Stark marry him even as there is basically a bounty on her from Kingslanding?? For a story where they claim to outpacing the author, I'm kinda shocked they took this kind of a significant shortcut and alteration, unless in the book this detour kind of fissels out.

I'm three chapters into AFFC and am also disliking how different things are. I was struggling to follow the story as it was and now I have potentially 2 variations of the story to follow. Going to have to knuckle down and continue though the books I think.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
It's because it no longer matters what they do since there is no more material. There are no more books. So since they have to start inventing setups for the future anyway, they may as well move away from the books now and do whatever the writers fancy.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm three chapters into AFFC and am also disliking how different things are. I was struggling to follow the story as it was and now I have potentially 2 variations of the story to follow. Going to have to knuckle down and continue though the books I think.

The books are real, the show is the abbreviation. I also noticed they had Cercei negotiating with the Little Sparrows to raise arms to defend the faith and not the High Septon, who instead was punished by Little Sparrows. In the show, they are making it look like the Little Sparrows control the city and not the King, which maybe this happens later, I don't know, but it's still shocking.

It's because it no longer matters what they do since there is no more material. There are no more books. So since they have to start inventing setups for the future anyway, they may as well move away from the books now and do whatever the writers fancy.

That my point. If you have limited material, why all the story consolidation? It's as if they are running on a limited budget and can't afford the fake Ayra... :p I realize that there is also the aspect of keeping the story relatively simple, neat and tidy for relatively short seasons. I observed a couple of seasons a go that if you are reading the books, the show is like a bare bones outline of the story, which for TV is not necessarily bad.

td1439

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Boston-ish
I also noticed they had Cercei negotiating with the Little Sparrows to raise arms to defend the faith and not the High Septon, who instead was punished by Little Sparrows. In the show, they are making it look like the Little Sparrows control the city and not the King, which maybe this happens later, I don't know, but it's still shocking.

They really changed the whole dynamic there. The Warrior's Sons never went on a rampage in King's Landing like that. They've also changed the High Sparrow in a subtle but important way. In the show, he's clearly willing to play politics for power. That's just not his character in AFFC or ADWD.

It's as if they are running on a limited budget and can't afford the fake Ayra...

This is another major plot change. Littlefinger has a plan to get Sansa Winterfell and the Vale of Arryn via a marriage to Harry the Heir. The way the show is going, she's only going to regain control of Winterfell.

I will say, I like seeing the darker side of Sansa emerge. Her continual role of doormat in the books gets to be tiresome.

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
I am so confused by the direction that this show was taking. Tyrion's story is sort of familiar as is Cersei's... They've also kept elements of Jon Snow's story. All the rest are totally unrecognizable. Jamie, Sansa, Dorne, Daenerys... I'm really not too happy with it. The other seasons have their differences but it didn't bother me so much, this season seems to be a total abandonment of the story.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I am so confused by the direction that this show was taking. Tyrion's story is sort of familiar as is Cersei's... They've also kept elements of Jon Snow's story. All the rest are totally unrecognizable. Jamie, Sansa, Dorne, Daenerys... I'm really not too happy with it. The other seasons have their differences but it didn't bother me so much, this season seems to be a total abandonment of the story.

It's too good to abandon, but you are describing how I felt about True Blood which not only did they destroy the original story line, but the humor which was vast in the book and non-existent in the show. At least in GoT, the main conflict and framework remains.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
The show is keeping the core of the books intact, but still making substantial changes.

It's still incredibly entertaining, so I'm not too bothered.

The dilemma does arise though: is it worth continuing to read the books (which will easily be overtaken at this pace), or will there soon be an irreconcilable divergence between the two?

Hmm...

edit: I also want to acknowledge what others are suspecting: they're on course to drop a major plot detail yet to be revealed in the book. The implications of which will be fascinating.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The show is keeping the core of the books intact, but still making substantial changes.

It's still incredibly entertaining, so I'm not too bothered.

The dilemma does arise though: is it worth continuing to read the books (which will easily be overtaken at this pace), or will there soon be an irreconcilable divergence between the two?

Hmm...

edit: I also want to acknowledge what others are suspecting: they're on course to drop a major plot detail yet to be revealed in the book. The implications of which will be fascinating.

My wife who has finished all the published books says they are really consolidating. I find this very puzzling for a show with a story that is outpacing the author.

Renzatic

Suspended
No, I think Dany is cooler in every way. just me though

She's alright. If I had to give props to anyone, it'd be Betsy Kettleman from Better Call Saul.

----------

My wife who has finished all the published books says they are really consolidating. I find this very puzzling for a show with a story that is outpacing the author.

It's a strange situation because the TV series is eventually going to spoil the ending for the book its based on. Even Martin has said as much.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
It's a strange situation because the TV series is eventually going to spoil the ending for the book its based on. Even Martin has said as much.

It's certain that there will be two more books, and it's likely that the series will run for two more years after season five. At the rate that Martin is writing, the TV series will end well before the final book is released. D&D are apparently aware of Martin's plans for the major characters, but they've said that they have a definite endgame in mind and are writing toward it.

I haven't read the books, but I know that there've already been some major deviations, so it's not a given that they and the TV series will end exactly the same way. But I agree that it's strange for people who are following both.

Spoilers Follow

I enjoyed last night's episode. I didn't see Dany's odd proposal coming (and from the looks of it, neither did Hizdahr zo Loraq). I was also sure that the credits would roll after Tyrion was pulled under by the Stone Men, though it was obvious that either he or Ser Jorah would be in search of a good Maester dermatologist after their encounter.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
It's certain that there will be two more books, and it's likely that the series will run for two more years after season five. At the rate that Martin is writing, the TV series will end well before the final book is released.

So season 7 will be the last season? Find it hard to believe they can wrap up so many story lines considering even now, not much of anything has happened.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's certain that there will be two more books, and it's likely that the series will run for two more years after season five. At the rate that Martin is writing, the TV series will end well before the final book is released. D&D are apparently aware of Martin's plans for the major characters, but they've said that they have a definite endgame in mind and are writing toward it.

I haven't read the books, but I know that there've already been some major deviations, so it's not a given that they and the TV series will end exactly the same way. But I agree that it's strange for people who are following both.

Spoilers Follow

I enjoyed last night's episode. I didn't see Dany's odd proposal coming (and from the looks of it, neither did Hizdahr zo Loraq). I was also sure that the credits would roll after Tyrion was pulled under by the Stone Men, though it was obvious that either he or Ser Jorah would be in search of a good Maester dermatologist after their encounter.

With the way the show is forging ahead, this will require serious coordination between the author and TV writers. Is there a belief that in the overall framework, that the show will move into territory beyond the most current book? I would think the author would find this troubling. Or maybe he's just too happy rolling in the dough. ;)

Imo, the author will want to protect the climax of this series. So that throws up question marks for me.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
With the way the show is forging ahead, this will require serious coordination between the author and TV writers. Is there a belief that in the overall framework, that the show will move into territory beyond the most current book? I would think the author would find this troubling. Or maybe he's just too happy rolling in the dough. ;)

Imo, the author will want to protect the climax of this series. So that throws up question marks for me.

George RR Martin is still very much involved in the series. He's listed as a co-executive producer, and he's participated in events organized by HBO, including the season five premiere in San Francisco. I'm sure he's well compensated, and the TV show has boosted the popularity of his books. But I suspect that he's keeping a close eye on where things are heading. I guess it's also possible that the books will carry the story beyond where the series ends.

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
George RR Martin is still very much involved in the series. He's listed as a co-executive producer, and he's participated in events organized by HBO, including the season five premiere in San Francisco. I'm sure he's well compensated, and the TV show has boosted the popularity of his books. But I suspect that he's keeping a close eye on where things are heading. I guess it's also possible that the books will carry the story beyond where the series ends.

He is on record during interviews commenting how he never knows who they might kill off, and the twists from his story always surprise him... My guess is that title means, the show writers ask him occassional specific questions about the upcoming story, and otherwise work independently.

*** book 5 spoilers ***

The episode last week commited to several more big changes. I can see now that Tyrion's story line was simply purged of extras to simplify it, but he is likely arriving at the same place. The death of Bariston totally shocked me, as he plays a huge role in the end of B5! I am assuming they are making way for the Bear to reunite with Dany as her main right-hand-man, which has not happened in the books, and they did this once again to simplify. Dany's story is skipping over so much that I feel like the sequence of events doesn't really make sense, but whatever. Then the Sansa storyline... Another hard curve into left field. How this has anything to do with the book events, I can't say. Why would Wreak need to save her now? What the hell is going on with the maiden of Tarth? It seems like those storylines from the book are getting a total rewrite. And the the Dorne story is so thinned it seems like a sideshow... Nothing about the race to befriend Dany, or the plots for revenge... It just looks like a couple angry girls on their own.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

My guess is that the series ending, before they transisitin to movies (heard that rumor), will have to end on a significant event, such as Daenerys Targaryen, her dragons and army setting foot in Westeros and Winter actually comes! :p

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
My guess is that the series ending, before they transisitin to movies (heard that rumor), will have to end on a significant event, such as Daenerys Targaryen, her dragons and army setting foot in Westeros and Winter actually comes! :p

Well, Winter arrives at the end of WoW and the last book in the series is a Dream of Spring, so...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.