Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
I have a iCloud Photo Library of about 20 gig ...
And everything was working great .. since last week, when I log into icloud.com and I try to access my photo library to add new photos, I get greated by a message that tells me that the Photo Library is being prepared ... Its been telling me this for over a week now ... I cant get access to photos at all...

Anyone else having this issue ?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Same thing happened to me, I logged in and got the "preparing message" left my computer turned on and on the website for about 24 hours and nothing. Came back to the same message..... This was like 2 weeks ago and the library never got set up.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
So ..... If this happenss there is no way to get my gallery back and the option to add photos from the web browser ?!!!

My iCloud photo library will just keep preparing forever ?

BroadcastDoc

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I (and many others apparently) are having the same issue. However, the rest of the iPhoto library seems to be working just fine. It only appears to be the website.

Some people have mentioned that it's all of a sudden started working for them. It's been a day or two for some, and a week + for others.

Beta and all that...

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
I was having the same issue on the web site though my images were accessible through the photos app and on my mobile devices.

It resolved itself over the weekend after more than a week. Don't panic, if you can see your photos in the app, they are present and it is simply a question of the iCloud site catching up.. Remember this is all still in beta.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I am still having this issue. Does anyone know what is going on. I have a large photo library (20,000 photos and 1,000 videos) but this has been going on for several weeks. Very annoying I can't access the photos on my PC.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Has anybody tried contacting Apple support? Could just need a quick reset.

I'm in the process now... its only been going for 10 mins with a 220GB 32000 photo library... :eek:

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Has anybody tried contacting Apple support? Could just need a quick reset.

I'm in the process now... its only been going for 10 mins with a 220GB 32000 photo library... :eek:

Is there reset button on the website or is support the only option to get the reset done?

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Is there reset button on the website or is support the only option to get the reset done?

I highly doubt there is a reset button somewhere... :roll eyes:

OT: I just checked again. 8 hours down the road and the iCloud environment seems to be showing my library just fine...! All the more reason for those that aren't seeing success to contact apple.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
I highly doubt there is a reset button somewhere... :roll eyes:

OT: I just checked again. 8 hours down the road and the iCloud environment seems to be showing my library just fine...! All the more reason for those that aren't seeing success to contact apple.

Okay, should I call Apple and ask them to reset the library that is stored in the cloud?

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Why don't you all them,explain the situation and ask for help? That'll go down better than telling them what to do...

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I have a iCloud Photo Library of about 20 gig ...
And everything was working great .. since last week, when I log into icloud.com and I try to access my photo library to add new photos, I get greated by a message that tells me that the Photo Library is being prepared ... Its been telling me this for over a week now ... I cant get access to photos at all...

Anyone else having this issue ?

Had this issue when I was setting up IPL for the first time. I rebooted my macbook air, opened the photos app, and the photos downloaded without a hitch.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Okay guys, here's the thing:

iCloud has limit of 10,000 photo upload request per hour. Any more could crash your iCloud account and potentially could corrupt your whole iCloud Photo Library.

Essentially, this is what had happened to me. I attempted to upload 20,000 photos in one try, which had completely destroyed my photo library and the stability of my account. It's been day three since contacting Apple Support and they are still on the case. (Hell, my case is officially classified as critical and iApp and iCloud engineers have been dispatched to solve the case as this may be unknown bug in iCloud) my account is also in Troubleshooting mode, meaning they have full access to my account, minus the Apple Pay details (which is locally stored on my device), with my full permission to fix the issue.

So, my suggestion to everyone, if you are considering uploading more than 10,000 photos to iCloud, STOP!!!!!!!! Do not do it. If you have more than 10,000 photos in the library, save the photos in external drive, create a NEW Photo Library in photos application and import little at the time while iCloud Photo Library is turned on.

If you already attempted to upload more than 10,000 photos, and are stuck, well, your account is FUBAR, and only option IS to CALL Apple support for help.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I've been tempted to call support, but since their first recommendation will be "sign out of iCloud on all devices" that will be a mess.

I have a ton of stuff on iCloud drive. Last time I tried that it took 3 days to download everything.

CashGap

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
Music City, USA
My uploads all finished and it appears iCloud has my 44,000 photos. It appears my phone has downloaded a version of all of them, and my laptop about 32,000 so far...

Looks like this might just be one of those "I cannot believe it takes this long" things?

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I've been working with Apple support on this issue. Apparently, there is something messed up in my iCloud account they are troubleshooting. If I create a separate iCloud account, they upload fine.

I'll report back if it actually gets solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.