Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
the video helps a lot many thanks for letting me know :)
i did everything whats shown in the video, and after the successfully installation i closed the app. so far so good. after restart its shown up in the selection menue. so happy. but what about the Graphics & Audio, framework files from the 10.8.5 folder? do i still need them?

I don't believe so. After you install yous should know tho. SFOTT creates the installer that matches your comp so you should be fine.

Good luck.

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
Sfott

For those of you struggling with MLPF and MCPF I've found the SFOTT method the best. I've installed ML/MAV and Yosemite.

File sharing is working both ways (haven't tested windows) bluetooth. Airdrop( a little slow but works)

I'm on a MacPro 1.1. My unflashed PC video card shows the correct model and right VRAM ;)

Cheers

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
but what about the Graphics & Audio, framework files from the 10.8.5 folder? do i still need them?

SFOTT creates a basic installer, in general fitting for older unsupported Macs.

For the MBP2,2 you need the additional files from the 10.8.5 folder for fully graphics support (Quartz Extreme / Core Image) as well as for enabling Audio. Use 'The Unarchiver.app' to ensure that the OpenCL/GL Framework folders contain the symbolic links.

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
SFOTT (=SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo) is aimed at those MacPro and rare iMac systems with EFI32 that have or can have hardware fully compatible with 64bit OS X versions such as Mountain Lion or Mavericks.

For instance, if you replace an unsupported GeForce 7300GT by say a GeForce G120 or a GeForce 8800GT/9800GT in a MacPro1,1/2,1 then you have a platform perfectly capable of running a full unmodified installation of say Mountain Lion or Mavericks. All the hardware is then compatible but the system is not naturally able to boot 64bit-only OS X versions because of the native EFI32. That's what SFOTT circumvents: the EFI32 limitation. After that, it's a totally standard 64bit installation.

It's a very different thing on unsupported Mac Mini (2,1), MacBook (2,1/3,1/4,1) or iMacs models for which the graphics chip cannot be replaced, so the hardware remains incompatible with unmodified ML, Mav, etc. Nothing will ever change that. It's for those particular models that MLPF really is useful and sort of only proven ML solution to date.

Last edited:

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
SFOTT (=SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo) is aimed at those MacPro and rare iMac systems with EFI32 that have or can have hardware fully compatible with 64bit OS X versions such as Mountain Lion or Mavericks.

For instance, if you replace an unsupported GeForce 7300GT by say a GeForce G120 or a GeForce 8800GT/9800GT in a MacPro1,1/2,1 then you have a platform perfectly capable of running a full unmodified installation of say Mountain Lion or Mavericks. All the hardware is then compatible but the system is not naturally able to boot 64bit-only OS X versions because of the native EFI32. That's what SFOTT circumvents: the EFI32 limitation. After that, it's a totally standard installation.

It's a very different thing on unsupported Mac Mini (2,1), MacBook (2,1/3,1/4,1) or iMacs models for which the graphics chip cannot be replaced, so the hardware remains incompatible with unmodified ML, Mav, etc. Nothing will ever change that. It's for those particular models that MLPF really is useful and sort of only proven ML solution to date.

You explained things very well. I've noticed that with with ML or MLPF it states that my machine is 64-Bit (Intel): No
With SFOTT is states 64-Bit (Intel): YES

Subsequently my video card (radeon 7750-1028 mb and the Nvida 8800) would not work when using MLPF or MCPF but with SFOTT they work on ML up to Yosemite. Just gotta figure out how to flash them for boot screens.

It's always good when people share their experiences with whatever method they use so it's easier for others.

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
I don't know about MacPF since I've never used it and probably never will until it's clearly properly debugged, but if you read about the inner workings of MLPF, you'd come to realise it makes a "bastardised" (sorry I know no better word to describe it) installation of Mountain Lion where it basically reverts to:
. ML DP1 32/64bit kernel and fat-binary kexts
. Lion 10.7.5 graphics kexts for graphics chips that are natively unsupported by ML (GMA 950, GMA X3100, nVidia GeForce 7xxx, etc.)
. Lion 10.7.5 (?) OpenGL/OpenCL frameworks to achieve full QE/CI
. and some other stuff that I forgot

This explains some of the bugs that remained, no matter what; it's not a "proper" ML installation per sé...

It's perfectly normal that you see an MLPF installation running in 32bit kernel mode because I think it's the default one. MLPF was aimed for those GMA950/X3100, GeForce 7xxx or ATI X1xxx systems for which graphics support stopped at 32bit-mode Lion 10.7.5, so 32bit kernel mode was essentially required to obtain graphics acceleration on those Mac models.

Older MacPro + iMac models that are fully hardware compatible with Mountain Lion (and, by extension, any 64bit-only OS X versions such as ML, Mavericks or Yosemite) should not use MLPF at all but run unmodified ML, installed with SFOTT or similar methods.

Last edited:

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
RV-ABZ
I get what your saying. After using all methods i've noticed the differences. When I first used MLPF some of my old audio apps worked because it was using 32 bit mode then when I used MCPF the same apps didn't work or crashed. I also had issues with mounting some disk images.

Anyway work on MLPF has stopped and MCPF is supposed to get an update.

For now I'm happy with my system. The SFOTT method seems to be the most stable. I wish it created a recovery partition tho. Instead of me having to use partition creator.

Cheers

iqvistus

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
So I made a bit of a mistake (new to Mac).
I installed ML on a macbook2.1 with sfott, was working great except no audio...and the mb is supposed to be a musicplayer in my audio system so a no go.
Did the windows thing and wiped the disk, aaaaand now I can't reinstall lion, it won't even show the USB in the boot menu.

Any ideas?

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
So I made a bit of a mistake (new to Mac).
I installed ML on a macbook2.1 with sfott, was working great except no audio...and the mb is supposed to be a musicplayer in my audio system so a no go.
Did the windows thing and wiped the disk, aaaaand now I can't reinstall lion, it won't even show the USB in the boot menu.

Any ideas?

Did you format the Drive with Disk utility? The drive needs to be mac format GUID partition not windows.

As far as the audio thing goes when you installed ML you need the apple HDA kext which can be installed with kext utilty.

iqvistus

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
Did you format the Drive with Disk utility? The drive needs to be mac format GUID partition not windows.

As far as the audio thing goes when you installed ML you need the apple HDA kext which can be installed with kext utilty.

Thanks for your reply.
I got it working at last! It would not let me boot from USB after I formated the drive in disk utility, so I took out the hdd, plugged it to my win7 stationary and deleted everything... Then it would boot from the USB :)

Ahh I figured that it was something like that but I could not find a solution for it.
I think I stick with lion for now and just change songs on the keyboard rather than the remote(not using iTunes)

didedrup

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2015
SFOTT creates a basic installer, in general fitting for older unsupported Macs.

For the MBP2,2 you need the additional files from the 10.8.5 folder for fully graphics support (Quartz Extreme / Core Image) as well as for enabling Audio. Use 'The Unarchiver.app' to ensure that the OpenCL/GL Framework folders contain the symbolic links.

well ... many thanks for all replys to my questions ... but i need a more detailled guide for copy and paste all needed files from the "10.8.5--64--X1600.7z" folder which i´ve already downloaded. it contains two folder. a 10.8.5 folder and beside a 10.8.5 installation folder. especially the fact how to hande the framework files i´m not sure how to ...

could anyboby post a step by step guide how to do this. a link to a vid would be fine too :)

etc.

Last edited:

didedrup

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2015
If your Mac is a machine with ATI X1600 Graphics you could also try a installation without MLPF, see the Posts #3654, #3663, #3670, #3741, #4223.

hmmmpfff..well i´ve checked all theads :) ... the most postings ... not really :)

----------

does the same procedure work in 10.09.5 as well?
anybody out there who know´s that?

Simply installed 10.8 (version from App Store), with small modifications.
- updated PlatformSupport.plist (inserted my model id and board id)
- copied ATI X1600 kexts from 10.7 (this works with 64bit kernel too)
- copied OpenCL and OpenGL frameworks from 10.7
- installed VoodooHDA audio driver

RobstaHendricks

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
DMG No Mountable File Systems

Did any one manage to find a fix for the dropbox no mountable file systems error? I get this too with Rosetta Stone languages so hope for a fix if possible.

I was following this thread and although it does not offer a fix, I am posting the command responses from the from the poster on the first page in hope that some clever bod knows what's going on for us PostFactorers:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3801444?start=0&tstart=0

roberthendricks$ kextstat -kl | awk '!/com\.apple/{printf "%s %s\n", $6, $7}'
pc66:~ roberthendricks$ sudo launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.(apple|openssh|vix)|edu\.mit|org\.(amavis|apache|cups|isc|ntp|postfix|x)/{print $3}'
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
com.osxhackers.rebuild
com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper
pc66:~ roberthendricks$ launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.apple|edu\.mit|org\.(x|openbsd)/{print $3}'
com.epson.ews.launcher
com.google.keystone.user.agent
pc66:~ roberthendricks$ ls -1A /e*/mach* {,/}L*/{Ad,Compon,Ex,Fram,In,Keyb,La,Mail/Bu,P*P,Priv,Qu,Scripti,Servi,Spo,Sta}* L*/Fonts 2> /dev/null
/Library/Components:

/Library/Extensions:

/Library/Frameworks:
AEProfiling.framework
AERegistration.framework
AudioMixEngine.framework
EpsonInformationService.framework
NyxAudioAnalysis.framework
PluginManager.framework
iTunesLibrary.framework

/Library/Input Methods:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins:
JavaAppletPlugin.plugin
Quartz Composer.webplugin
QuickTime Plugin.plugin
SharePointBrowserPlugin.plugin
SharePointWebKitPlugin.webplugin
nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt

/Library/Keyboard Layouts:

/Library/LaunchAgents:
com.epson.ews.launcher.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons:
com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist
com.osxhackers.rebuild.plist

/Library/PreferencePanes:

/Library/PrivateFrameworks:
LLDB.framework

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools:
com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper

/Library/QuickLook:
iBooksAuthor.qlgenerator
iWork.qlgenerator

/Library/QuickTime:
AppleIntermediateCodec.component
AppleMPEG2Codec.component

/Library/ScriptingAdditions:

/Library/Spotlight:
Microsoft Office.mdimporter
iBooksAuthor.mdimporter
iWork.mdimporter

/Library/StartupItems:

/etc/mach_init.d:

/etc/mach_init_per_login_session.d:

/etc/mach_init_per_user.d:

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins:
SkypeABDialer.bundle
SkypeABSMS.bundle

Library/Fonts:

Library/Input Methods:
.localized

Library/Internet Plug-Ins:

Library/Keyboard Layouts:

Library/LaunchAgents:
com.apple.AddressBook.ScheduledSync.PHXCardDAVSource.588487BE-01D9-45E8-A720-94429A1CC0AA.plist
com.google.keystone.agent.plist

Library/PreferencePanes:
pc66:~ roberthendricks$ osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to get name of every login item'
iTunesHelper, Dropbox, Rimbit-Qt

JPM42

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
[Guide] Success! Install 10.8 on old unsupported Mac

Edit: problem resolved.

Last edited:

RobstaHendricks

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
FIXED - No Mountable File System

Hello everyone, that's me again :eek:

Just to recap, I've a black MacBook 2,1 Core 2 duo, 4GB of RAM and I'm running Mac OSx 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion) installed through the guide found in this thread.

The only problem I still have is that for some .dmg that I tried to install (lot of them) I get the following error:

"No Mountable File System"​

Specifically I encountered this issue for DROPBOX and aMULE.

So I spoke with the developer (@MLforAll) and we isolated that this was an issue with one specific kext (cd9660.kext) that was included as 64bit. We need the 32bit one (attached).

Basically a lot of DMGs are built using one method which is why *most* DMGs would mount fine. Some like DropBox and for me some ISOs were built with a different method that was attempting to mount with the above kext. We are on a 32bit ML so it failed.

The easiest way is to use Kext Utility and just drag the .kext onto it, and let it finish it's work. Grab Kext Utility from below
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/Kext-Utility.shtml

I've tested Dropbox on mine, and works a treat.

Attachments

• cd9660.kext.zip
    43.9 KB · Views: 113

Bryanthebold

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2015
Mlpostfactor help

Hi i am a first time poster basically i have just tried to install 10.8 on an old Mac pro 1,1 got to the end and i just have the apple and a spinning wheel it just will not boot can anyone help with any ideas as to what went wrong?.

chrisrand

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Mlpostfactor help

Hi i am a first time poster basically i have just tried to install 10.8 on an old Mac pro 1,1 got to the end and i just have the apple and a spinning wheel it just will not boot can anyone help with any ideas as to what went wrong?.

Since you are on a Mac Pro, you can actually install the latest OS X version 10.10.3 Yosemite.

Instead of using MLpostfactor, you should use SFOTT

http://oemden.com/sfott-yosemite-beta-release/

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I have been rocking the Mountain Lion mod since 2013 on my mid 2007 macbook (GMA 950) and it still works great (Thanks again wayne!), but since months ago I cannot sign into imessages in it. I used to be able to, and now it doesn't let me and tells me to contact apple. I don't know if there is a fix for it that someone here knows? TIA

didedrup

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2015
@All: Do we have an update about this in the meanwhile ?

This only works for Mountain Lion 10.8.5. Earlier versions as well as Mavericks (10.9.X) won't work.
If you install the 10.8.5 supplemental update afterwards you will have to reapply the patches described above.

That's "all".

Good luck.

!!! For anybody else: This is only for MacBook Pro 2,2 and may work on an iMac with ATI X1600 graphics. All other machines are covered by MLPF.[/QUOTE]

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
@All: Do we have an update about this in the meanwhile ?

This only works for Mountain Lion 10.8.5. Earlier versions as well as Mavericks (10.9.X) won't work.
If you install the 10.8.5 supplemental update afterwards you will have to reapply the patches described above.

That's "all".

Good luck.

!!! For anybody else: This is only for MacBook Pro 2,2 and may work on an iMac with ATI X1600 graphics. All other machines are covered by MLPF.
This issue may have been fixed in the newest MCPF update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.