Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thevode

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
Nice. But.. how?.

I've got a mac pro 3.1, osx 1.8.4 and a GTX 670. It works, but I think not fully.

GPU.png

Regards!

w33z3r

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Is the 670 rom available to flash a pc card to mac? I can't seem to find it anywhere :(

pixluser

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2013
GTX670 hack

Hello Rominator, did you finally had succes to get the full pci speed?
If you can PM me how much a solder will cost please?

Also if I can just hack my current GK104.rom bios of 96Kb to get the full PCI speed It'll be fantastic.

Thanks.

stevenz

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2006
Wellington, NZ
I've got an EVGA GTX670 FTW - Have flashed it to the official EVGA UEFI firmware, but still no boot image. How do I go about getting it to work correctly?

EHuntington

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2013
Detroit
I've got an EVGA GTX670 FTW - Have flashed it to the official EVGA UEFI firmware, but still no boot image. How do I go about getting it to work correctly?

The UEFI rom from EVGA is different from the version of EFI Apple uses. In short, you'll have to hack your own rom and probably replace the rom chip on the card. Rominator may have some 670's for sale or offer flashing service for your card, but there's no easy way.

funkymothers

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2014
I realise I am reviving an old thread. I have purchased a second hand ASUS GTX 670 2GB which I am planning on using in my first Hackintosh build.

According to ASUS this card has no UEFI support but it can be added with a Firmware update.

Since I have not been able to find a ROM image for this card in order to flash it for Mac boot screen support I am assuming that it cannot be done?

I have looked on this forum and Netkas and there doesn't seem to be anything. The card is probably too old by now anyway but I just wanted to check before I abandon the idea of having a boot screen.

Many thanks

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I realise I am reviving an old thread. I have purchased a second hand ASUS GTX 670 2GB which I am planning on using in my first Hackintosh build.

According to ASUS this card has no UEFI support but it can be added with a Firmware update.

Since I have not been able to find a ROM image for this card in order to flash it for Mac boot screen support I am assuming that it cannot be done?

I have looked on this forum and Netkas and there doesn't seem to be anything. The card is probably too old by now anyway but I just wanted to check before I abandon the idea of having a boot screen.

Many thanks

Hackintosh cards don't need flashed for a boot screen

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I am not certain how hackintosh functions with boot screen but I would like to clarify EFI.

Macs have used a few different versions of EFI over the years. As far as I know they have never used the UEFI that is now "universal" in PC world. The EFI on our cards meant for Macs would be ignored by a PC, which is what a hackintosh is.

And in fact, some of the mods to the PC Bios can actually cause display issues when used in a PC, so running a Mac EFI card in a Hackintosh would at best get you nothing And might in fact give you problems.

A better question is whether the UEFI on PC Cards can have interaction with how hackintoshs boot. UEFI in Windows world allows faster boots and nicer GUI in the BIOS mod section of pre-boot. It isn't called BIOS anymore as it isn't.

In any case, your questions will find better answers at InsanelyMac or Tonymac

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I am not certain how hackintosh functions with boot screen but I would like to clarify EFI.

Macs have used a few different versions of EFI over the years. As far as I know they have never used the UEFI that is now "universal" in PC world. The EFI on our cards meant for Macs would be ignored by a PC, which is what a hackintosh is.

And in fact, some of the mods to the PC Bios can actually cause display issues when used in a PC, so running a Mac EFI card in a Hackintosh would at best get you nothing And might in fact give you problems.

A better question is whether the UEFI on PC Cards can have interaction with how hackintoshs boot. UEFI in Windows world allows faster boots and nicer GUI in the BIOS mod section of pre-boot. It isn't called BIOS anymore as it isn't.

In any case, your questions will find better answers at InsanelyMac or Tonymac

Fun factoid I put the Apple 5770 from my Mac Pro in my hackintosh and the computer started throwing all kinds of fan errors and would not boot into OSX.

----------

Thanks fot your replies, lowendlinux and The Stork.

That is amazing. So they just show the boot screen?

PC’s use BOIS or UEFI Apple uses it’s own EFI, since PC cards use the same BIOS or UEFI you get a boot screen.

neomorpheus

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2014

Little late to the party, but yes, efi is not needed for a hackintosh.

Thats one of the biggest advantages, IMHO, that a hack has over a cMP.

If you have compatible hardware, you only need to worry that the vid card is supported by osx and be careful that a osx update doesn't kill your hack. But so far, updates are addressable.

TheStork

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008

To be clear, in a PC/hackintosh, the PC graphics cards just show the motherboard BIOS splash screen, then the bootloader (Chameleon, Chimera, or Clover) which allows you to optionally choose an OS to boot into. The PC graphics card just displays what is sent to it by the PC motherboard and OS. So, for a hack, PC cards work fine.

Now, you need to choose a graphics card that is compatible with OS X (sound familiar?), and the nVidia Maxwell cards still need the nVidia Web drivers (and optionally, the CUDA drivers) just like our Mac Pros. The tonymacx86 site has a Buyer's Guide with a list of components and sample builds that help beginners build hackintoshs with a good chance of running OS X successfully.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
To be clear, in a PC/hackintosh, the PC graphics cards just show the motherboard BIOS splash screen, then the bootloader (Chameleon, Chimera, or Clover) which allows you to optionally choose an OS to boot into. The PC graphics card just displays what is sent to it by the PC motherboard and OS. So, for a hack, PC cards work fine.

Now, you need to choose a graphics card that is compatible with OS X (sound familiar?), and the nVidia Maxwell cards still need the nVidia Web drivers (and optionally, the CUDA drivers) just like our Mac Pros. The tonymacx86 site has a Buyer's Guide with a list of components and sample builds that help beginners build hackintoshs with a good chance of running OS X successfully.

To add to that you need to be on 10.10 to use Maxwell even if you have the drivers.

funkymothers

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2014
Thank you very much MacVidCards, lowendlinux, neomorpheus and The Stork.

Your answers have been very helpful to me. SInce this will be my first Hackintosh I keep forgetting that it will technically be a PC!

I did research all the components very carefully which took a long time so I am pretty confident I will get it to work.

Of course with Clover I won't need boot screens anyway...:eek:
My build will be running 10.8 as primary OS (because of Pro Tools 10 compatibility) and I am using a Kepler card so should be ok.

Very much looking forward to this build which I will hopefully do over the next week or so.

Last edited:

TheStork

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Thank you very much MacVidCards, lowendlinux, neomorpheus and The Stork.

Your answers have been very helpful to me. SInce this will be my first Hackintosh I keep forgetting that it will technically be a PC!
My build will be running 10.8 as primary OS (because of Pro Tools 10 compatibility) and I am using a Kepler card so should be ok.
I recommend you check out the Music forum section at tonymacx86.com. There are several professional recording engineers there with good advice. BoomR is one of them and his sticky threads in the Music forum section are worth reading. Good Luck!

http://www.tonymacx86.com/music/

OxoTHuk

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2015
I spent most of the day looking at some lovely boot screens on a GTX670, but through countless revisions it crashed after the main drivers took over.

Then I asked Netkas to get involved.

BANG !!!

GTX670 is now a Mac native card !!!

We have boot screens and 4 displays running, just need to get PCIE 2.0 5GT/s figured out. Should be offering them up in 2 weeks or so.

And then, sitting on the counter...a GTX680 and that silver thing...oh yeah, a GTX Titan.

May be looking at a low power 640/650 option as well.

Sadly, it now requires a 512K EEPROM as Apple has ENGORGED the rom to 288K. So a "solder only" operation.

Thanks to Nvidia for writing drivers for their entire GTX6xx line. If there weren't drivers, these EFI cards would have nothing to offer. Let's hope the Titan driver comes soon.

Quite a week, AMD 7xxx cards and now GTX6xx cards as native Mac cards.
Hi
Great job!
Have You solved issue with 5.0 ? I want to buy Your Rom For gtx670, Please send me in PM

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^MVC won't be posting here for a bit. There was some kind of issue I believe. you can reach him at netkas or his web site.

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.