Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dspilman

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Hi,

I need a durable case for my Macbook Pro 15' Retina; something that will stand 6 feet drops, durable. I am using speck case now and it is ok and not that impact proof. I have looked at the Thule Case & Tech21 Case ($99). Any other suggestions?

Thanks

I'm rocking the Pelican 1095 with pick and pluck foam custom fit to my 15" rMBP. It fits easily with about and inch of foam around all edges. I also have the Pelican 1085 which very snugly fits my 15". Both are great options. I can't recommend Pelican enough. Super durable and you know you have protection. Mine has already survived several 4-5' drops like its nothing.

i1280

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
I'm looking for a nice tight (not too tight) sleeve for a 15" macbook pro retina. What's everyone using as far as sleeves go? I'm obviously looking for a tighter one, but one that won't scuff the edges, has good "zipper protection" if it has a zipper or something that has some sort of enclosure. Seems like all the good ones come overseas or outside the states. Any suggestions? THanks in advance. :D

Last edited:

bindle

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2008
Got a Moshi Codex 13 r with my 13". Pretty nice case for lugging around by itself - might be able to squeeze an iPhone cable in with it. Good sized memory foam padding & splash resistant. A nice feature is being able to strap the screen in so it opens with the case. Might start to commute with it so will see how it holds up.

EePL8gf.jpg
O3fXfUz.jpg
194OzNa.jpg

http://www.moshi.com/case-codex-protection-macbook-pro-retina-13-2#black

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
My 15" Incase ICON with Tensaerlite sleeve came yesterday!

Just got back from my first outing with it, and it's perfect!

No pocket for a charger, but the closure mechanism is a pretty strong magnet (I hate zippers), and the green edge is hard and offers some protection. You can charge the laptop while it's in the sleeve, too.

Only kind of downside is the magnet can sometimes turn the screen off, when you have the laptop open and resting on the sleeve. It just requires an adjustment and really is a non-issue, but it can be jarring when you first encounter it.

Definitely prefer this over the Speck case, and it makes the 15" feel much more portable. They also make one for the 13" retina, which is really nice too. They also have this all in black, but I like the grey/green better..

Attachments

• IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 405
  • IMG_0628.JPG
    IMG_0628.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 391
  • IMG_0629.JPG
    IMG_0629.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 392
  • IMG_0634.JPG
    IMG_0634.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 366

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Stay away from the Saddleback leather sleeve for the rMBP. It is way too big. Not sure what they were thinking.

Oddly though, the MacBook Air 13" sleeve fits. Snug, but it fits.

greg99

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
Stay away from the Saddleback leather sleeve for the rMBP. It is way too big. Not sure what they were thinking.

Oddly though, the MacBook Air 13" sleeve fits. Snug, but it fits.

Unfortunate - I love my Saddleback sleeve for the MBA, and was planning on getting one when I get my MBP.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Unfortunate - I love my Saddleback sleeve for the MBA, and was planning on getting one when I get my MBP.

Then you are set. Keep the MBA sleeve. You may like how the MBP fits in it.

But don't get the MBP sleeve. Completely different design. Read the reviews on their site. Its one of the few products that has consistently bad reviews. Not sure what they were thinking when they designed that one.

i1280

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
Retina MacBook Pro Bags, Sleeves, and Cases Thread

No pocket for a charger, but the closure mechanism is a pretty strong magnet (I hate zippers), and the green edge is hard and offers some protection. You can charge the laptop while it's in the sleeve, too.

Only kind of downside is the magnet can sometimes turn the screen off, when you have the laptop open and resting on the sleeve. It just requires an adjustment and really is a non-issue, but it can be jarring when you first encounter it.

Definitely prefer this over the Speck case, and it makes the 15" feel much more portable. They also make one for the 13" retina, which is really nice too. They also have this all in black, but I like the grey/green better..

Does that one fit snug/form fitting to the 15 rMBP? Have Andy pictures of the inside materials? Thanks David...leaning towards that one right now...

TLmac

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2015
Does anyone have an Ibenzer case for their rMBP? Pros/cons?

Is the vent on the bottom ok? Will it provide adequate air flow?

Or do you suggest a different case?

View attachment 537144

(I posted this in a thread by it'self but now have just moved it to here)!

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Does that one fit snug/form fitting to the 15 rMBP? Have Andy pictures of the inside materials? Thanks David...leaning towards that one right now...

It does fit snug, and the green lip holds it in.

To get it out requires opening the magnent, tilting the case vertical a bit and pulling up on the green lip so the macbook can slip past it..then just pulling it out. Atleast that's how I do it..

I tried one on the 13", and it was a tighter fit - but it loosened over time. The complaints online seem to be from people who think it's too tight and don't give it a chance to loosen up.

Attachments

• IMG_0640.JPG
    IMG_0640.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0644.JPG
    IMG_0644.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 320
  • IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 309

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

Here's a pic of the Saddleback sleeve. First pic is a MBP 13" in a MBP sleeve. Notice how loose it is. Second pic is a MBP 13" in a MBA sleeve. Much nicer fit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427593196.946629.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427593206.331510.jpg

MrBambinoDent

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
Does anybody here have the Herschel Supply Co. Pop Quiz Backpack? I ordered one from the Apple Store but I'm no sure how good it is!

greg99

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
Here's a pic of the Saddleback sleeve. First pic is a MBP 13" in a MBP sleeve. Notice how loose it is. Second pic is a MBP 13" in a MBA sleeve. Much nicer fit.

Thanks so much for the pics! I'm glad I have my MBA sleeve.

Greg

i1280

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
It does fit snug, and the green lip holds it in.

To get it out requires opening the magnent, tilting the case vertical a bit and pulling up on the green lip so the macbook can slip past it..then just pulling it out. Atleast that's how I do it..

I tried one on the 13", and it was a tighter fit - but it loosened over time. The complaints online seem to be from people who think it's too tight and don't give it a chance to loosen up.

I ordered this in black. Hoping it's as good as your pictures and descriptions! Should arrive tomorrow!

juturna67

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
I plan on purchasing the updated rMBP13.3 and I had a question. Should cases/sleeves from the previous model fit this one? As far as I know, the only thing that changed is the hardware.

Last edited:

i1280

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012

I got my Black Incase Icon Sleeve yesterday. The thing is perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Fits the 15 rMBP like a glove. Tight, but not too tight.

Thanks for recommending it David. :cool:

I could post pictures later, but they would be the same as David's...just in black...lol.

MNR

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2014
women bags?

Hi,
I'm looking for a women bag (laptop or shoulder) that can fit my macbook pro retina 15inch which is suitable for work (no flashy colors).
I really like the OGIO Brooklyn purse (http://ogio.com/women-s/brooklyn-felt) but unfortunately it is only for ipad and macbook air 11inch.
Thanks for your suggestions,

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
I just picked up the Incase ICON for my new rMBP. Fits like a glove and has a really nice rubber bumper all around the edge. Perfect for my needs. :)

cairene2011

Dec 17, 2013
Hi,
I'm looking for a women bag (laptop or shoulder) that can fit my macbook pro retina 15inch which is suitable for work (no flashy colors).
I really like the OGIO Brooklyn purse (http://ogio.com/women-s/brooklyn-felt) but unfortunately it is only for ipad and macbook air 11inch.
Thanks for your suggestions,

I'm in the same boat as you and eventually realised that it's much easier to get nicely padded sleeves for my rMBP and just pop that into my existing handbags. The specific laptop-handbags were either too masculine or too flashy (the Michael Kors ones for instance) for my taste.

totten76

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
Does anyone have any backpack recommendations for a college student? I was looking at some North Faces but wanted to hear from someone who actually has used them.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Does anyone have any backpack recommendations for a college student? I was looking at some North Faces but wanted to hear from someone who actually has used them.

What's your budget. The one in the following link is the one I've ordered for the 13" Retina MacBook Pro I plan on getting this month. It's a company called Tom Bihn based in Seattle where they also have their factory and make their bags.

They may seem expensive but compared to other brands even top name ones who typically have their bags made in the Far East these are very good quality and last a long time. I currently have one of their messenger bags which I use practically every day for over two years now and it's still like brand new. If you go to the forums on their site you will see a lot of positive feedback.

Their products typically last a long time with minimal wear and tear if any at all so even though they may seem expensive they're worth the money. You can also buy other accessories to go with it like " Brain Cells" to hold the laptop and keep it safe within the back pack. They do also have a few other back packs for sale on their site.

http://www.tombihn.com/laptop-bags/TB0104.html

destine2grow

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
I ordered this sleeve and the owner is a very nice man, who takes pride in his work and make the sleeve when you order. The company does not charge extra for engraving. Also if you have to make any changes, he responds in a reasonable time! Excellent customer service.. I ordered a case for the rMB and he was able to switch and make a case for the MPB 13 retina and he did not ask for the extra $8 he charge for that case!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 8.37.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 8.37.05 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 405
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.