Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loune17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2015
:confused:

I cracked the screen of my old rMBP two weeks ago :(. I decided to sell it and buy a new one to replace it, since I wanted 512 Go anyway.

Well I haven't had a lot of luck. I've already exchanged 2 because of screen then wifi issue. So I'm gonna calm the **** down and keep this one since it doesn't have a major problem.

There's a weird thing with it though. Anytime I have my left speaker under direct light, it shines like there was glitter in it :eek:. Pics related, even though there are more spots and they are shinier than it seems on the photos.

I've rubbed it pretty hard with a wet cloth, but nothing goes away. I think they're small scratches that shine like that. But it's pretty annoying, at first I legit thought there was glitter.

Anyone ever had a similar problem? How do I get rid of these? :D

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-6.jpg
    FullSizeRender-6.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 78
  • FullSizeRender-7.jpg
    FullSizeRender-7.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 68

Roblez

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
Lol, first try to search for something inside the holes with a needle. If these are really scratches, you should return it with no remorse, you deserve a perfect computer with no glitter in it or wifi issues! Good luck

Loune17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2015
Lol, first try to search for something inside the holes with a needle. If these are really scratches, you should return it with no remorse, you deserve a perfect computer with no glitter in it or wifi issues! Good luck

Thanks! :D

I don't want to risk having bigger issues with a new macbook though, and I am not patient enough to go through 6-7 returns like some :p

But I'll admit it's distracting to see little things shine in the speaker when I'm looking at the screen. So I'm torn right now!

I'll try to take the glitter out with a needle tonight, when I'm at home. What a weird issue :rolleyes:

cairene2011

Dec 17, 2013
I have something very similar on the silver border around the black bezel, where the metal and the rubber band touch. For about 1cm the metal is scraped and uneven (the rubber band is straight however) and it has the exact same white colour as those scratches on your speakers. I tried to take a photo, but it is so minor, it didn't pick up on camera. Which is a good thing, I guess! Perhaps their metal cutting machine in the factory spazzes sometimes... :D

Loune17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2015
Hey thanks :) I thought I'd be the only one in the world with this problem lol

So did you find the shiny bezel distracting in the first place? Did you get used to it or is it still a problem? Do you regret not returning it?

I personally kind of do mind, because it's like someone sprinkled glitter over my left speaker. But definitely don't want to return again unless I find another problem with the laptop! :eek:

cairene2011

Dec 17, 2013
Hey thanks :) I thought I'd be the only one in the world with this problem lol

So did you find the shiny bezel distracting in the first place? Did you get used to it or is it still a problem? Do you regret not returning it?

I personally kind of do mind, because it's like someone sprinkled glitter over my left speaker. But definitely don't want to return again unless I find another problem with the laptop! :eek:

Honestly I couldn't care less. There was no way for me to return the Macbook anyway, because I had already sold my old MBA and was knee-deep in work that I had to put on hold until the new rMBP was delivered.
If there had been an issue concerning the functionality of the Macbook, I would have returned it of course, but that little scrape is purely cosmetic and doesn't bother me at all (never has).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.