Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Hey guys,

Just wanted to post a couple pics of my old iMac, which I've handed down as the "family computer." This is no longer my computer, but, I am still concerned that the screen is going "stripe-y" on me. What do you guys think this is? Do LCD screens get "old" and get "stripes" as a result? Or is it the GPU going bad?

It's a 2007 iMac, 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo with the AMD HD2600 GPU (I think).

DSC07982_small_zpsdrfvbzwb.jpg

DSC07983_small_zpsxtxwsy5g.jpg

As you can see, I'm doing a clean install of Yosemite on it since it's "eligible" and also because it's loaded with "crapware" that hampers the boot up time to "forever." It's got an old spinning hdd. I will probably get an SSD for it down the road. But, not sure, how much life this thing has got.

I guess, my question is... is the screen going to get worst? It is only clearly visible at an angle, if one is looking down or up at it. Otherwise, straight on, it's looks "normal" or not that noticeable. Also, dark screen makes it more noticeable....

MetalGamer09

macrumors member
May 6, 2014
There is a replacement program for the stripes on the screen for a gpu issue for certain year iMacs. Just google it. If yours is one of the eligible models u can take it into a Apple Store or certified Apple repair place and get the gpu replaced for free. I work at a Store that's Apple certified

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.