Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Apparently several other people had the beachball issue when setting up too but they just waited it out and it worked afterwards. I guess I'll have to be patient setting mine up if this turns out to be an issue with all rMBs

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1867162/

On the other hand, with a machine that's absolutely brand new, there's no harm (other than a little lost time) doing an Internet Recovery installation. I was interested that I was not the only one to experience a serious lag during initial setup.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
this would explain the delay.. most of the macbook are made AFTER the supposed "shipping date"

and majority of us have yet to see or able to buy one in real life

paulopadopa

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
It sounds as though apple geared this as a limited run as they are measuring interest. They decided to make them all to order in case there wasn't much interest.

hcole623

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2013
I'm curious why - they come from Apple in the same 100% clean install-state. Apple isn't like many PC makers, loading the system down with lots of extra software...

I agree that Apple doesn't add lots of extra software, but there is a difference in doing an internet recovery "clean install" on a new machine.

For instance, my rMB came with Pages, Numbers, Keynote plus iMovie & Garageband, even the legacy iPhoto. Upon finally getting it set up, and updating to 10.10.3 (gaining Photos), I still had iPhoto lurking around too.

After installing a few more programs and coming to the conclusion I didn't want them after all, I decided yesterday to perform an Internet Recovery "clean install" on my 2 day old rMB, and it was worth it.

I now have a virgin 10.10.3 install, not a layered update. Also, to keep the downloaded content light weight, the internet recovery install does not include Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie, Garageband, or iPhoto. Just Photos natively. This is a 5+ GB savings of software I won't use.

Sure, I could just remove those apps, but then you'll leave behind library p-lists, caches, etc, and have a painful manual uninstall process to deal with.

I guess my point in that ramble, is that some of the more OCD of us prefer the internet recovery clean install as it is a slightly different build and more lightweight.

Last edited:

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
You want me to put my serial number into a sketchy looking site located in the Netherlands? What could go wrong there? I'll pass. Id strongly warn others against it, I can't believe so many people have done this.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
You want me to put my serial number into a sketchy looking site located in the Netherlands? What could go wrong there? I'll pass. Id strongly warn others against it, I can't believe so many people have done this.

A lot of people on various forums worldwide, even here at the MacrRumost forums, are using Chipmunk for quit some time already to get more info about their device. Nothing wrong with this website.

cforster

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Missouri USA
Yeah, I don't know how it works either. But like anything, it's supply and demand, and you pay for a product you start making, so you don't want to make too many, but you want to make enough. You'd think Apple has a whole team of MBAs who handle this type of forecasting, but the problem is in come companies, one voice can often overrule 100 skilled decision makers (in this case likely Angela). In the day when Steve was running the show, it was ok for him to hold the solo-Veto stamp, but that was because the business was his baby, and he was intimately involved with every aspect. Angela nor Tim have the same philosophy, so to compare them, or give them the same veto power cripples the company.

I somewhat get what you are saying, but disagree. 1) Tim Cook ( Not Jobs) is and was the master of the logistics of manufacturing and has played a huge role in Apple being able to mass manufacture millions of extremely high quality products. It's largely why Apple can sell these premium products by the millions (billions with the iPhone) at a reasonable price we can all afford.
2) As CEO Cook absolutely would absolutely have veto power. I agree he hasn't set the company up to operate like Jobs did, and he likely distributes decision making.

Just my 2 cents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.