Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gator Bob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
From the UP2414Q user manual: To display 3840 x 2160 at 60 Hz, DP1.2 must be enabled and the DP source’s graphics card must be DP1.2 certified with MST feature, capable of supporting resolution up to 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz and its driver supports DisplayID v1.3.

My question: Will my late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro deliver 60Hz on my Dell UP2414Q display if I use a mini-displayport to displayport cable and also use at the same time a second cable, mini displayport to mini displayport?

If yes, I'll just buy a mini displayport to mini displayport cable.

Last edited:

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
From the UP2414Q user manual: To display 3840 x 2160 at 60 Hz, DP1.2 must be enabled and the DP source’s graphics card must be DP1.2 certified with MST feature, capable of supporting resolution up to 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz and its driver supports DisplayID v1.3.

My question: Will my late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro deliver 60Hz on my Dell UP2414Q display if I use a mini-displayport to displayport cable and also use at the same time a second cable, mini displayport to mini displayport?

If yes, I'll just buy a mini displayport to mini displayport cable.

I gather you need to extend the length of your cable? If so, it might work, but there are numerous reports all over the place about cable quality/length having an impact on 4K display performance (glitches, black outs, etc) so I would avoid it if at all possible, and if you must do it, then I would suggest a longer top quality cable over an extension, however, you could try a cheap extension first and if it doesn't work... try something more expensive.

Gator Bob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
I gather you need to extend the length of your cable?

No, I am asking if I add a 2nd cable in addition to the first cable will that get me to 60Hz, given what the UP2414Q manual says. The first cable is a mini-displayport to displayport cable which provides near retina quality but only at 30Hz. Even 30 Hz has not really been any problem since we're not gamers.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
No, I am asking if I add a 2nd cable in addition to the first cable will that get me to 60Hz, given what the UP2414Q manual says. The first cable is a mini-displayport to displayport cable which provides near retina quality but only at 30Hz. Even 30 Hz has not really been any problem since we're not gamers.

A second cable is not going to help. I'm not even sure where you got that idea from. Nothing from that quote from the manual mentions anything about a cable (or two).

Gator Bob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
A second cable is not going to help. I'm not even sure where you got that idea from. Nothing from that quote from the manual mentions anything about a cable (or two).

I assumed 60hz requires MST and I further assumed MST requires two cables.
I know, "assumed" can be a bad word. :)

Gator Bob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Thank you for your help. That ends my quest for 60Hz.

I am driving the Dell UP2414Q with a late (end-of-October) 2013 15" Retina Macbook display. The monitor is set up for displayport 1.2 and I only get 30Hz, not 60Hz.

As I said, I have no problem using the display at 30Hz. Graphics, photos and text quality are all superb, near Retina quality.

Lhbay

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2015
I couldn't get view on my dell up2414q 4k monitor with my 2015 rmbp, i used thunderbolt to thunderbolt cable (apple), there is no signal on the monitor. i used mini dp to regular dp cable which came with the monitor, no view on the monitor, but i notice that 2nd monitor is detected on mac's screen though it is extremely slow, even can't move mouse cursor appropriately. what shall i do? any suggestions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.