Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parisi2274

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Hi All,

I am sure this has been asked a bunch of times, so forgive me if I ask again...

I have a late 2010 MBP (Model A1278). Currently the machine has 4gb of memory and a 256gb hard drive on it. The machine is starting to show its age and is slowing down considerably, so I was thinking of upgrading the memory to the max allowable 8gb, and swapping out the HDD with a nice 256gb SSD. What I am looking to find out is if I have daily time machine backups, can I just swap out the drives, reboot the machine into recovery mode and then select a TM backup to restore to this new drive?

My main concern with all of this is that I have been reading stories of people having to first create a partition on the SSD, then transferring over the TM backup, but I am not sure how I would set a partition when the drive itself is internal... Do I need to get an enclosure? Is there some other easy way to accomplish this? Is it even necessary?

My ultimate goal is this:

1. Open laptop
2. Replace memory
3. Replace hard drive with SSD
4. close laptop
5. Boot Laptop into recovery mode (Command + R)
6. Restore from Time Machine Backup
7. Select backup date
8. Restore finished.
9. Reboot Laptop into normal boot mode
10. Enjoy a slightly faster laptop :)

Thank all!!!

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
What I am looking to find out is if I have daily time machine backups, can I just swap out the drives, reboot the machine into recovery mode and then select a TM backup to restore to this new drive?

- Yes, you can.
If you find you do need/want to do some partitioning, Recovery Mode has Disk Utility for that. You don't need any external enclosures.

Also, I fixed number 10 for you: :)

10. Enjoy an unbelievably much faster and completely transformed laptop :)

parisi2274

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Just curious how I would access recovery mode if the new SSD has no OSX on it... Is Recovery mode built onto the laptop somewhere outside of the OSX?

Thanks

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
When you have the new (blank) SSD installed - start up your MBPro, holding Option-Command-R. There will be a short delay, and you will see a spinning globe. That means your MBPro is connecting to Apple's servers. You'll get to the same menu screen, with one of the choices being Disk Utility, where you can format the SSD. When you have that, you can then quit Disk Utility, then continue on with an OS X install. On that model, the system that will be offered will probably be Lion.

This all will work best (and fastest) from an ethernet connection.

parisi2274

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
When you have the new (blank) SSD installed - start up your MBPro, holding Option-Command-R. There will be a short delay, and you will see a spinning globe. That means your MBPro is connecting to Apple's servers. You'll get to the same menu screen, with one of the choices being Disk Utility, where you can format the SSD. When you have that, you can then quit Disk Utility, then continue on with an OS X install. On that model, the system that will be offered will probably be Lion.

If after I partition the drive and it loads Lion, can I just do a straight update to Yosemite? Or do I need to do all the incremental updates first?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Just curious how I would access recovery mode if the new SSD has no OSX on it... Is Recovery mode built onto the laptop somewhere outside of the OSX?

Thanks

- It's available over the internet, as mentioned above.

If after I partition the drive and it loads Lion, can I just do a straight update to Yosemite? Or do I need to do all the incremental updates first?

- You don't need to do any installations of OS X. You can simply restore everything from your Time Machine backup and be back where you left off with your old hard drive.

parisi2274

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
- You don't need to do any installations of OS X. You can simply restore everything from your Time Machine backup and be back where you left off with your old hard drive.

Oh ok... I was curious, become some above your post said I would need to follow these steps:

So I wasnt sure if I had to do the OSX install, or after using Disk Utility, I could quit that and then just use a TM backup?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Oh ok... I was curious, become some above your post said I would need to follow these steps:

So I wasnt sure if I had to do the OSX install, or after using Disk Utility, I could quit that and then just use a TM backup?

- Basically, there's a thousand possible ways to do it. You can do a conventional install of OS X and then restore the rest of your stuff from Time Machine. But the easiest way is simply:

1. Install new SSD
2. Attach Time Machine drive
3. Boot while holding down Option/Alt
4. Choose to start from your TM
5. Choose restore
6. Wait

And you're done. You don't even need to go into Disk Utility first.

parisi2274

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
- Basically, there's a thousand possible ways to do it. You can do a conventional install of OS X and then restore the rest of your stuff from Time Machine. But the easiest way is simply:

1. Install new SSD
2. Attach Time Machine drive
3. Boot while holding down Option/Alt
4. Choose to start from your TM
5. Choose restore
6. Wait

And you're done. You don't even need to go into Disk Utility first.

The method you laid out seems simple, is there no need to partition the drive then? I assume that if I boot while holding Option/Alt and start from TM, when I choose restore, it will setup/create a partition?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
It does take only a few seconds to erase the SSD using Disk Utility.

That can reassure you that the SSD is both properly prepared, and that a partition can be created without producing an error.

parisi2274

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
It does take only a few seconds to erase the SSD using Disk Utility.

That can reassure you that the SSD is both properly prepared, and that a partition can be created without producing an error.

Yes, but I do not own an external enclosure, nor do I want to spend the additional money on one, if I am only planning on using it one.

Thanks

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Yes, but I do not own an external enclosure, nor do I want to spend the additional money on one, if I am only planning on using it one.

Thanks

- You don't need an external enclosure. What the poster above me described can be done when you boot from your Time Machine drive.
Basically, it's your choice whether you want to a format manually, or let the TM restore process do it automatically.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You also don't need the TM drive (or any external drive), if you boot to Internet Recovery. (refer to post #4 :D )

parisi2274

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Thank you everyone for your assistance with this!

I will let everyone know how it goes...

parisi2274

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
So I just wanted to let everyone know I completed the update tonight and now I have a blazing fast 2010 MBP, and I am so happy.

The swapping of the memory and HDD were a snap, but I hit a tiny snag when I powered the machine one for the first time. When it booted up into a menu asking what I wanted to do, I went right for the Time Machine backup, and when it started to search for the new drive, it could not find it. I had to reboot again, but this time select Disk Utility and then format the drive for MAC.

Once the format was complete, I went to Time Machine restore, picked the backup to restore, it now found the drive, and did a full restore.

I love how easy it is to restore a backup to a mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.