Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
I have the same feeling. Wii U looks right now almost like it would be a dead end. And even sooner, than Nintendo planned it, to be.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Yeah, really.. would be a bummer if the new Zelda is delayed until the NX release so it can be a launch title. I can see it happening though.

I have a nasty feeling that Starfox Wii U and Metroid Wii U will also be delayed, for obvious reasons... :eek:

:mad:

I have the same feeling. Wii U looks right now almost like it would be a dead end. And even sooner, than Nintendo planned it, to be.

Or it can be like, Twilight Princess, where they release it on both systems....

Did you see the coming soon list?

http://www.nintendolife.com/wiiu/games/soon

no mention of Starfox or Metroid... :eek:

Looks pretty dismal...

I see Wii U's going for $199 this holiday - no releases on sight and Jan/Feb announcement of NX with Holiday 2016 release dates and Zelda, Metroid, Mario being launch titles.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Did you see the coming soon list?

http://www.nintendolife.com/wiiu/games/soon

no mention of Starfox or Metroid... :eek:

Looks pretty dismal...

I see Wii U's going for $199 this holiday - no releases on sight and Jan/Feb announcement of NX with Holiday 2016 release dates and Zelda, Metroid, Mario being launch titles.

Yep of those three (Yoshi, Xenoblade, Splatoon) and the rest look like pure junk fillers for this year.

The biggest problem for Nintendo going forward even with NX - is that by the time 'NX' is actually available (2017) - they will be entirely irrelevant in the home console stakes that no-one will care.

Its like console death by user apathy ......

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
These signs say Nintendo is giving up on the Wii U

The writing for the Wii U is on the wall... :eek:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/04/09/these-signs-say-nintendo-is-giving-up-on-the-wii-u/

But it’s not just the numbers that make us think the Wii U is on its deathbed. Nintendo’s recent actions, including announcing the NX (a new console), give more evidence that it can’t wait to put the system behind it. 2015 could be the last year that the publisher actively supports the console.

The same exact thing could be happening here. Nintendo is rushing to make a new system, and it knows it needs a big game to launch with it. It might not have enough time to create something from scratch, but the Wii U Zelda already has a lot of work done. Why not give it some extra polish, some new features, and make it a must-own NX launch title?

The lack of announcements during the latest Nintendo Direct
Nintendo does a series of streams where it shows off upcoming games and often announces new ones. The latest one, and the first to happen since announcing the DeNA deal and the NX, was April 1. It largely focused on downloadable content for previously released Wii U games Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8.

Nintendo didn’t announce a single new Wii U game.

In fact, it barely showed previously announced Wii U games. Shin Megami Tensei & Fire Emblem crossover project got a new trailer, and it announced that Nintendo 64 and DS games are coming to the Virtual Console online store. In short, nothing came along to fill in Zelda’s holiday shoes.

The NX may be closer than we think... :eek:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
The writing for the Wii U is on the wall... :eek:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/04/09/these-signs-say-nintendo-is-giving-up-on-the-wii-u/

The NX may be closer than we think... :eek:

Maybe yes maybe no. We had the Playstation 4 teased about a year before launch, and if I remember correctly likewise for the Xbox One. So its hard to say when Nintendo will launch it, but I would put money on a year at most because they have said they are developing it, and they wouldn't do that if they weren't far along with its development.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Nintendo doesn't support their consoles usually beyond 5-6 years unlike Sony which can do it for a decade. Nintendo spaces their flagships in a span of 4-5 years. Once that is done, the next console gets ready. Imagine PS3 is still being supported nearly NINE years later. Wii U is Nintendo's biggest flop since the GameCube. Every console since NES only had a 5-6 year lifespan. SNES released in 1991 had to make headway for N64 in 1996. N64 had to make room for GCN in 2001. GCN was no longer getting major support once Wii arrived in 2006. Wii U comes out first in the next gen in 2012. It isn't even three years and Nintendo is thinking of NX. Talk about a company with a short attention span!

Poorly managed is more like it. I'm still shocked people are willing to give Nintendo money these days. How many random 3DS models have come out over the last few years? It's pretty ridiculous.

They need to get their crap together. Mario and Zelda aren't enough to sell consoles. If they were, the Wii U would actually be successful. They've been behind the curve for so long. No DVD support for so long. No proper online system, until recently. The PS4/X1 aren't just fantastic consoles, they are at the center of most people's home entertainment systems. They do everything. This is where Nintendo is lagging.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Poorly managed is more like it. I'm still shocked people are willing to give Nintendo money these days. How many random 3DS models have come out over the last few years? It's pretty ridiculous.
Well there are 2 main ones. The original and the New one. The size one is optional since both sizes have the same features per line. The 2DS one... who even knows! That's the budget one. But the great thing about these is barring one game so far all 3DS games are playable on all systems. In the same timespan we've had 6 iPhones if we're counting the larger one as a separate system ;)

They need to get their crap together. Mario and Zelda aren't enough to sell consoles. If they were, the Wii U would actually be successful. They've been behind the curve for so long.
Well, you say that. http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2015/Global/ http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2014/Global/

No DVD support for so long. No proper online system, until recently. The PS4/X1 aren't just fantastic consoles, they are at the center of most people's home entertainment systems. They do everything. This is where Nintendo is lagging.

I'd argue it's the PS3 that does more than the PS4, media centre wise. You can play videos from USB and stream pretty much anything over a network, plus has a bluetooth remote that powers the whole system up when any button is pressed. I wish my PS4 had this kind of functionality! Heh.

foobarbazqux

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2014
The PS4/X1 aren't just fantastic consoles, they are at the center of most people's home entertainment systems. They do everything.

except play Nintendo 1st party games which is the whole reason Nintendo fans buy Nintendo hardware. Nintendo might be lacking in the console hardware department but they still produce some of the best 1st party games.

They're also back to being profitable and have plenty of cash in the bank. Yes, they have their problems but Nintendo's not going anywhere and there are still lots of people out there (myself included) who will buy their hardware just to play their 1st party games. Don't underestimate the power of Mario and Zelda.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
except play Nintendo 1st party games which is the whole reason Nintendo fans buy Nintendo hardware. Nintendo might be lacking in the console hardware department but they still produce some of the best 1st party games.

They're also back to being profitable and have plenty of cash in the bank. Yes, they have their problems but Nintendo's not going anywhere and there are still lots of people out there (myself included) who will buy their hardware just to play their 1st party games. Don't underestimate the power of Mario and Zelda.

Nintendo couldn't muster 3rd party support because of that touchscreen controller of theirs.

They'll definitely drop it with the NX, maybe expand on their Wii U platform and with the use of the Gamecube Controller adapter, be able to play Wii U, Wii, GameCube discs, as well as all Nintendo games through downloads and emulation that were ever made - maybe that will be their "innovation"?

I can play PS Vita Games on my Playstation TV with a "download file" (if available) that makes the game compatible with the PS3 or PS4 controller. It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo does the same with it's handheld and Wii U games as well on the NX.

As I've stated, maybe another "innovation" is "kinect type" of support, 3D games, and Blu-ray 3D movie support.

All for IMHO $249... :eek:

(by that time, XBox one and PS4 will be down to $299)

Interesting article on how Nintendo needs to learn from past mistakes:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/04/14/w...rom-nintendos-past-from-the-nes-to-the-wii-u/

Last edited:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Nintendo NX Coming Early 2016? Nintendo Exec, AMD Confirms New Console in the Works

NX AMD Based.

Looks like Wii U will be on closeout this holiday season... :eek:

;)

http://www.vcpost.com/articles/6350...xec-amd-confirms-new-console-in-the-works.htm

http://www.crossmap.com/news/ninten...-different-from-other-nintendo-consoles-18110

Nintendo NX Release Date, News and Specs: NX Will Include a New Membership Service, to be Released Early 2016 According to AMD?

http://www.crossmap.com/news/ninten...-different-from-other-nintendo-consoles-18110

Last edited:

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
NX AMD Based.

Looks like Wii U will be on closeout this holiday season... :eek:

;)

http://www.vcpost.com/articles/6350...xec-amd-confirms-new-console-in-the-works.htm

Nintendo NX Release Date, News and Specs: NX Will Include a New Membership Service, to be Released Early 2016 According to AMD?

"The American game console manufacturer's current one is the 2012-relased Wii U"

The author of that article is obviously clueless.

Iwata said they won't even officially reveal the NX until 2016, release in early 2016 is not gonna happen.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm hoping it'll be backwards compatible. Nintendo have put serious resources into that Splatoon game when it's mostly an online-shooter. What would be the point in releasing this so close to the end of their current system? Either the NX is years off or it'll be backwards compatible with Wii U games... or they're going to let Splatoon flounder.

Antares

macrumors 68000
I'm hoping it'll be backwards compatible. Nintendo have put serious resources into that Splatoon game when it's mostly an online-shooter. What would be the point in releasing this so close to the end of their current system? Either the NX is years off or it'll be backwards compatible with Wii U games... or they're going to let Splatoon flounder.

I think we're a good 2yrs or so away from the NX. That should give Splatoon enough time to thrive.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I think we're a good 2yrs or so away from the NX. That should give Splatoon enough time to thrive.

Yeah, you're probably right there. I still haven't picked up a Wii U. For some reason I keep putting it off but after watching people playing Splatoon on Twitch the other day I'm warming to the idea of buying one.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

Hope so! Can see Splatoon having a healthy life (it's the first team shooter thing I've thoroughly enjoyed since TF2 and Left4Dead).

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

Hope so! Can see Splatoon having a healthy life (it's the first team shooter thing I've thoroughly enjoyed since TF2 and Left4Dead).

Still not convinced. May happen only if they drop the price of the Wii U bundles to $199.

I got an XBox One Halo bundle for $349 with a $50 gift card bringing it down to $299 - same as Wii U retail bundles. I see PS4 prices sales starting for $349. I do see sales of Wii U's for $269. But the extra $40 - $90 for a current gen machine is well worth it (and you can just hold on to your old Wii system... ;) )

E3 is approaching - usually retail price drops accompany them.

My take - I think NX announcement and details will happen Spring 2016 for a 2016 Holiday release with Zelda, and Star Wars Battlefront NX Edition being launch titles... :eek:

According to this article:

AMD also announced that they are currently working on a design for a "next-generation console scheduled to be released in 2016". If we'll put two-and-two together it seems like AMD is working on the upcoming Nintendo NX.

http://www.crossmap.com/news/ninten...eplacement-on-the-current-wii-u-and-3ds-18446

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

I wouldn't mind it coming sooner. I just wonder why they'd have two big games (Starfox and Zelda) coming next year to the Wii U, and a big multiplayer game out this year. I can only imagine it'll be backwards compatible or they're prepared to shift their big titles to the NX. Which they have done before!

The wishful thinker in me hopes for a summer 2016 launch and has backwards compatibility with all Wii U games (and eShop purchases).

Also... Nintendo said that the new Zelda game was running at 1080p. Perhaps we saw it on NX prototype hardware?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.