Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b4lron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Hi all,

first I want to apologies for my bad english. I guess I have to improve it - so sorry.

I want to upgrade my 21,5 '' iMac from late 2012 with:

1. Samsung Evo 850 1TB
Just don't have Fusion Drive, so this should be my only HD.
Do I need some adapters, cause of temperatur?

2. Samsung 16GB Dual Channel Kit 2 x 8 GB 204 pin DDR3-1600 SO-DIMM (1600Mhz, PC3-12800S, CL11)

I guess this shouldn't be a problem, right?

3. Broadcom BCM94360CD BCM4360CD 802.11ac mini PCI-E WiFi WLAN Bluetooth 4.0 Card

Does this work?

I think all of this upgrades will work. What do you think.

Thank you for your support and help!

b4lron

b4lron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Hi at all,

does no replay mean it will not work?
Or just my english is to bad to explain what im going to do?

Thanks

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Hi at all,

does no replay mean it will not work?
Or just my english is to bad to explain what im going to do?

Thanks

Its annoying when that happens so I will try my best to answer your question :)

----------

Hi all,

first I want to apologies for my bad english. I guess I have to improve it - so sorry.

I want to upgrade my 21,5 '' iMac from late 2012 with:

1. Samsung Evo 850 1TB
Just don't have Fusion Drive, so this should be my only HD.
Do I need some adapters, cause of temperatur?

2. Samsung 16GB Dual Channel Kit 2 x 8 GB 204 pin DDR3-1600 SO-DIMM (1600Mhz, PC3-12800S, CL11)

I guess this shouldn't be a problem, right?

3. Broadcom BCM94360CD BCM4360CD 802.11ac mini PCI-E WiFi WLAN Bluetooth 4.0 Card

Does this work?

I think all of this upgrades will work. What do you think.

Thank you for your support and help!

b4lron

I can't help too much with your questions as I'm much more knowledgeable in the upgrading of the <2011 iMacs and not the new slim models. One thing I can tell you, the RAM is not user upgradable from the slot (like the 27 inch iMac and older iMacs), and you will have to take the screen of your iMac to get to the components to replace it (although its not soldered so you will be fine there). Here is a teardown video to show you would have to do, hope this helps :)

https://youtu.be/C1gihIbBKvc

b4lron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Hi MartinAppleGuy,

thank you very much for your fast replay.
Also thank you for your video-link. I already knew the ifixit disassembly, but the video is really a bit more helpful. I think (hope :p) I have enough experience as an engineer to rework the iMac.

My questions where more aimed on the compatibility of the components. I don't want to put some hardware in and crash the iMac. I read some other posts, so I hoped the RAM and the hard drive will work, are't they?
Just of Broadcom BCM94360CD I'm a bit scarred, because I don't know this will work in 2012 iMac - because it is originally from the 2013 one.
So I keep my fingers crossed it will work and nothing will damage.

b4lron

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.