Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan
Heres something to make you all cringe. I almost got it, but the guy didnt want to drive it to me so..no classic for me

2woye82.jpg

Bausch

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2014
Berlin, Germany
Hi there guys.
I found a nice ipod with a lion engraving on back. Symbol looks like a lion...
Has anyone some facts about this type of ipod? Thanks in advance:rolleyes:

Attachments

• lionipod.JPG
    lionipod.JPG
    363 KB · Views: 329

dlwkdwlr

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2015
Seoul, Korea
While I wait for the response for RHCP iPod (hopefully he gets back...), here's my collection!

IMG_1250.JPG

U2 video iPods with Best Skins Ever...
completely original, mint conditions.

IMG_1256.JPG

Back of 3rd gen iPods that I've polished/refurbished...the 40gb needs a bit more work!

IMG_1258.JPG

IMG_1259.JPG

All working perfectly!

IMG_1260.JPG

:cool::apple:

dlwkdwlr

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2015
Seoul, Korea
Any hints/instructions you care to share?

I was originally planning to polish with 'Autosol' but my local Autozone had 'Mothers' brand metal polish. But I guess any metal polish works fine!

I've used a cloth to polish my iPod on my first try. They did polish well except that they left hairline scratches on the iPod (like you see on the 40gb model and my first trial on the 15gb; attached picture).

On my second try, I decided to polish with cotton balls..apply small amount of polish with q tips and polish with cotton balls! DO NOT apply pressure when trying to polish...just be gentle. Repeat this process until you get the results that you are satisfied with! I cant remember how many times I've repeated but It was definitely more than 10 times :eek: The cotton balls were so much better as they came out much better, almost leaving no hairline scratches (near perfect finish).

ALSO, it would be better to have some masking tape so that you cover up the engraved parts, as the polish will wear away the color of it.

iPod when I first received it...

IMG_0976.JPG

IMG_0977.JPG

Pretty scratched up but its not too bad as it does not have deep scratches..only hairline scratches

IMG_0979.JPG

Metal polish applied..again, if you want your iPod to look as original as possible, try to use masking tape for the laser etched areas, otherwise, the polish will wear away the white 'paint' and will make the parts somewhat transparant.

IMG_0981.JPG

Note how the metal polish wore off the whiteness of the logo and the writings. They have a bit of a faded look.

IMG_1009.JPG

Still not perfect.. I could not document my second run with cotton balls..will make sure to take pictures when I get spare time to work on the 40 gb!

DigitalBuddhist

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2015
Good place to post Apple Items?

Hey guys - Apologies if I am posting in the wrong spot, but it seems relevant since the A1103 Mac Mini is one of the exact items I have.

I worked for Apple for a bunch of years about a decade ago, and have been an Apple owner for many more years...

I have some items and I am curious if they are worth anything to collectors like yourselves. Please let me know, and if so where is a good place to post?

thanks!

Items:
Mac Mini - A1103
Mac Mini - A1176
Mac Mini power adapter - 110W
Mac Mini Power adapter - 85W x 2
iPod Video 60GB
iSight Camera
Airport Extreme - A1408
Airport Extreme - A1143
Apple DVI - Video adapter
and SO MANY power adapter extensions! :eek:

all items are in working condition and were well cared for - *Besides the iPod, which works but has some scratches from bouncing around with me!

scrappydoo93

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
United States - East Coast
Nice to see all the iPod collectors here.

I have the following:

iPod nano 1st gen sealed
iPod classic 7th gen sealed
iPod +Hp 40 GB sealed
iPod mini 2nd gen sealed

What worries me is that the batteries in all these sealed packages, wouldn't they swell and start damaging the device (if not they haven't already?) if so, is there any logic behind collecting sealed devices?

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)
Nice to see all the iPod collectors here.

I have the following:

iPod nano 1st gen sealed
iPod classic 7th gen sealed
iPod +Hp 40 GB sealed
iPod mini 2nd gen sealed

What worries me is that the batteries in all these sealed packages, wouldn't they swell and start damaging the device (if not they haven't already?) if so, is there any logic behind collecting sealed devices?

That's an argument many people have against collecting sealed iPods.
They prefer to hold them and play with them rather than leaving them in their boxes waiting for the batteries to swell.
It can happen and often does but you can't always tell until you open them.

iChernov

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2013
Munich, Germany
They prefer to hold them and play with them rather than leaving them in their boxes waiting for the batteries to swell.

Hey Alex, didn't see you here for ages :) Any news in your collection? Did you find the last of the Great Four iPods? ;)

jruschme

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Brick, NJ

Schrodinger's iPod?

Reactions: mpayne2k

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)
Hey Alex, didn't see you here for ages :) Any news in your collection? Did you find the last of the Great Four iPods? ;)

Hey,
How's everything going?
I'm not really active in the collecting space. I'm trying to sell offy collection to make way for some other things. I haven't come across the 'you know what' yet but if I do, I'll be sure to let you know :)

iChernov

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2013
Munich, Germany
Hey,
How's everything going?
I'm not really active in the collecting space. I'm trying to sell offy collection to make way for some other things. I haven't come across the 'you know what' yet but if I do, I'll be sure to let you know :)

I'm fine, thank you! Only one iPod is still missing, but in the meanwhile got another interesting one:

19c96662f8c2bd3d0198de6cae33a726.jpg

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

Li-Ion batteries generally won't swell if left in the package uncharged.

However, their internal voltage will eventually drop below a threshold where a permanent fuse "blows" and you can never charge the battery again. This is because once the battery goes below a certain voltage it's unsafe to try to charge it again.

Basically, if you keep a Li-Ion powered device around for years and aren't using it, you'd best be charging it periodically (once a year or so should do it) or you won't be able to charge it when you eventually take it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.