Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricHunter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
I accidentally spilt some coke on the left side of the keyboard 2 months ago. I quickly turned it upside down and tried my best to clean the coke externally. It works perfectly well after that until now, no sign of liquid damage except for some sticky keys. Does it mean that the coke didn't get into the logic board under the keyboard? Is there any possibility that my MBA just dies up one day without any signs? I'm praying hard now :(:(

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
I accidentally spilt some coke on the left side of the keyboard 2 months ago. I quickly turned it upside down and tried my best to clean the coke externally. It works perfectly well after that until now, no sign of liquid damage except for some sticky keys. Does it mean that the coke didn't get into the logic board under the keyboard? Is there any possibility that my MBA just dies up one day without any signs? I'm praying hard now :(:(

When one of my co-workers spilled Mountain Dew on my MacBook Pro non-retina I certainly was not thrilled. I quickly turned the computer sideways and let what liquid drain out. I few days later I took it to an authorized dealer knowing I had AppleCare and made up an excuse of it randomly shutting down. Wasn't going to tell them what actually happened.

I thought who ever looked at it would see the sugar-re residue and be out big bucks cause sugar I think would eat electric parts. But all that was replaced was the speaker wire connectors.

Just speaker wires, no logic board replacement thank goodness. I've moved on to a mid 2014 retina now and more careful not to have liquids around the computer.

Good luck.

EricHunter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
When one of my co-workers spilled Mountain Dew on my MacBook Pro non-retina I certainly was not thrilled. I quickly turned the computer sideways and let what liquid drain out. I few days later I took it to an authorized dealer knowing I had AppleCare and made up an excuse of it randomly shutting down. Wasn't going to tell them what actually happened.

I thought who ever looked at it would see the sugar-re residue and be out big bucks cause sugar I think would eat electric parts. But all that was replaced was the speaker wire connectors.

Just speaker wires, no logic board replacement thank goodness. I've moved on to a mid 2014 retina now and more careful not to have liquids around the computer.

Good luck.

Omg, u are so lucky man! If only I can be that lucky also ._.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
I've spilt coffee on the right side of my 11" MBA (thankfully moshi keyboard protected the keyboard but some liquid still flowed into the right side). MBA quickly turned itself off and I let it dry itself for a day or two. Never had to open it up, this was 1 year 3 months ago. Return and \ keys are sticky sometimes but MBA still works. I meant to open it to clean the keys, but still haven't.

Good luck, hope you are this lucky.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Beware the Pepsi Syndrome! :eek:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/78/78ppepsi.phtml

Matt: I'll tell you what's happenning. The Pepsi Syndrome.

Brian: Pepsi Syndrome? I've never heard of it.

Matt: Only a handful of people know what the Pepsi Syndrome means. Maybe soon, everyone will know it.

Carl: But, what is it?

Matt: Well, the Pepsi Syndrome. If someone spills a Pepsi on the control panel of a nuclear power reactor, the panel can short-circuit, and the whole core may melt down.

Brian: But, you spilled a Coke.

Matt: It doesn't matter. Any cola does it.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012

It's very easy to tell if almost any liquid has spilled inside a computer. No doubt whoever worked on your computer noticed the spill, but presumably he was in a good mood and wanted to help you out.

reflecti0nX

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
Yes, it is possible that it will die one day.

If liquid went inside the laptop and onto the logic board (or IO board, SSD, etc...), what is left of the Coke could be slowly corroding the components on it.

You can take the laptop apart and look to see where the liquid went. After you take out the logic board, it should be easy to identify where the Coke went and if any components need to be cleaned. You can clean them with a soft toothbrush and 99% isopropyl alcohol.

You can Google for macbook logic board corrosion to learn more.

If you feel comfortable opening your laptop, I think it is best to inspect for damage and clean the components.

If you do not feel comfortable, you could break something and/or lose your warranty even if there is no damage, so it may not be worth it until it stops working. At that point, you may need to replace the part instead, as cleaning may not help anymore.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.