Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Wow this thing is lightweight and the screen is gorgeous. This new keyboard is really cool. Not digging the small wrist space though.....

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
i just did a side by side webpage load test with the 11" air and the 11" air is more snappy.

r0c

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2013
Off course it is. The 11 Air has a faster cpu, but that doesn't make the rMB any worse. Its a very good machine.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Wow this thing is lightweight and the screen is gorgeous. This new keyboard is really cool. Not digging the small wrist space though.....

The palm rest is an unavoidable issue. There are people who will tell you that they prefer the MBP line but buy the MBA because they really don't like the non-wedge palm rests on the MBPs. It's a perfectly valid consideration.

rahulr

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
North Carolina
Snappy!

i just did a side by side webpage load test with the 11" air and the 11" air is more snappy.

I think "snappy" was the word of the day in today's calendar. Let me just make this clear, snappy-ness is purely subjective. I am coming from every day use of a 13.3 rMBP 2015 edition as my 15.5 mbp is broken (yes, actually broken).

This machine (1.2/512) is just as "snappy" as that one. And I'm the kind of guy who gets annoyed when my iPhone takes 1/10th of a millisecond longer than it should to do something.

I'm not suggesting you go out and buy it, but please know your "snappy-ness" definition is different from mine, and different from the other people.

----------

The palm rest is an unavoidable issue. There are people who will tell you that they prefer the MBP line but buy the MBA because they really don't like the non-wedge palm rests on the MBPs. It's a perfectly valid consideration.

Here's the best part of the new palm rest. I can wear my watch! I previously had to take my watch off when I used my mbp. Not to mention my wrists looked like an angry teenagers half the time.

Maybe Apple designed it that way so everyone who bought the apple watch wasn't upset :).

saifrc

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
Here's the best part of the new palm rest. I can wear my watch! I previously had to take my watch off when I used my mbp. Not to mention my wrists looked like an angry teenagers half the time.

Maybe Apple designed it that way so everyone who bought the apple watch wasn't upset :).

...That's great news! I didn't even think of that!

I have to admit, I ordered a MacBook without ever having tried one in person. However, if there's one thing that bothered me about my 15" MBP (late 2008), it's how my watch would hit, rub against, or scrape against the top surface of the "palm rest" area. (You shouldn't really rest your palms there.) This doesn't happen when I use my 12.5" ThinkPad for work. When I use my MBP, however, I sometimes go so far as to remove my watch while working.

If that's no longer necessary win the rMB, that's yet another win for the smaller form factor!

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA

I'm not surprised by this and I'll tell you why.

If in fact, the MacBook Air lineup didn't offer SOMETHING better than the rMB, then who would buy it?

Essentially you're trading a super nice display amongst some other perks like force touch for better processing power.

Eh, I'll stick with the mid-range 13" MBPr lineup for now. Portable enough with plenty of horsepower under the hood :cool:

And a very competitive price relative to other Mac models for what you're getting.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
You mean to tell me that a computer with a faster, more powerful CPU, and a faster, more powerful GPU, and 70% fewer pixels to draw, and a fan for cooling, actually performs a test *faster* than a computer with a slower CPU, a less-powerful GPU, and almost 4x as many pixels to draw, with no fan for cooling?

I mean this is so remarkable, I'm glad you made a post to inform us all!

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
You mean to tell me that a computer with a faster, more powerful CPU, and a faster, more powerful GPU, and 70% fewer pixels to draw, and a fan for cooling, actually performs a test *faster* than a computer with a slower CPU, a less-powerful GPU, and almost 4x as many pixels to draw, with no fan for cooling?

I mean this is so remarkable, I'm glad you made a post to inform us all!

If you don't like the post then don't even respond.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.