Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I hope this isn't a Nvidia driver bug or else a fix could be a long time in coming.

I haven't heard anything about Nvidia vs AMD GPUs on Macs yet that might point to this or not but of course whenever you get something like this happening you do have to wonder if it can be a graphics driver problem.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Does sound like a bug. There's no good reason why it should run so terribly on some Macs when it's so smooth on mine. Maybe not with all settings maxed, depending on the Mac, but it should at least be playable.

I had a 5870 for a long time, and tried replacing it with a GTX680, which theoretically should have been an upgrade, and indeed was faster for some things, but in many others it was worse (running at 50% of the 5870 speed in the worst case). I returned that and got an R9 280x instead, which is consistently faster in all cases. So personally I wouldn't be too keen on a Mac with an nVidia card.

--Eric

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
"nVidia...the way it's meant to be played: at 1 fps."

--Eric

SLOWLY: The way it's meant to be played!

Seriously though, some people are in such a hurry all time. Why not take in the beautiful new graphics one sweet frame at a time so you don't miss anything. Remember, it's about the journey not the destination! :D

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Just by way of an aside, is there anywhere other than the Mac App Store that sells Metro Last Light steam free/No DRM, either version not to fussed about Redux though.

Thanks

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Has the performance issue been fixed now? Currently the Redux bundle is $10.99 on Steam. I'm tempted to buy it

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Has the performance issue been fixed now? Currently the Redux bundle is $10.99 on Steam. I'm tempted to buy it

Sorry too late for the sale in this reply but the answer is no. I might be wrong but I think this problem affects only Nvidia cards? In any event, a developer post on the Steam forum for the game Metro 2033 Redux recently indicated they are working on fixing it but still don't have an ETA at this time. So at least they are working on it.

I picked up Metro 2033 Redux but of the two games, this one is the more substantial upgrade particularly where some gameplay improvements were made. Sorry, I forget what the heck they are now but I think they were related to difficulty in the original version or something. I recall whenever I read about them I decided then and there the redux version of 2033 was the one I'd want to play though. I think the graphics update is more substantial in that case as well.

As for Metro Last Light, the difference in versions is minimal from what I've read and I already owned Last Light so I skipped that one myself.

For 2033, I figure the worst that could happen is I may end up playing it in bootcamp if the promised fix never happens for some reason but hopefully it will.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
The original Metro 2033 was at least playable in on my Boot Camped Windows installation. Redux on OS X was not even close. I actually asked for a refund from Steam, it was that bad.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Ah. I eventually bought the game right before the sale ended on Monday morning. I haven't played them yet, but this doesn't good... Good thing the publisher is working on the fix. So I might just wait until fix is released. I still have to finish playing Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
I think this problem affects only Nvidia cards?

Yep, even low-end Intel iGPUs run this game better than Nvidia. It's really a pitty they didn't even test a single Nvidia-based Mac before selling this game.
On my R9 280 it runs perfectly fine.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
I read on Steam forum that reducing the resolution before launching the game smoothens things out. It does help the game run smoothly, but not enough to enjoy the game... My 21" iMac's resolution only goes down to 1280x720. I'll just wait for the fix.

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
Did anyone try it in the last time?
I just launched it yesterday on my MacPro 3,1 with freshly flashed GTX 760, and it's perfectly smooth on max settings (beside SSAO) @ FullHD.

I'm on 10.10.5 with latest Web Drivers.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
I heard updating the NVIDIA driver fixes the problem. But I'm not sure how the driver update would affect my iMac, so I'll wait for the fix from publisher.

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
I guess Metro Redux is just making excessive use of an API call that is badly implemented in those totally outdated Nvidia drivers Apple is shipping...

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I heard updating the NVIDIA driver fixes the problem. But I'm not sure how the driver update would affect my iMac, so I'll wait for the fix from publisher.

Given that the publisher is in the Ukraine, and is currently undergoing much turmoil (with fricken Putin and his dumb ass trying to take over) I don't know if I would expect much movement to fix this on their part.

They may not even be in-country anymore.

As far as the nVidia web drivers, the most recent OS X Version I see supported is 10.10.5, as you say, found here:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/89538/en-us

Has anyone here installed the drivers to test it to see if it fixes it? Never installed a GPU-makers drivers on my iMac. Not a hacker, coder, no leet skillz to speak of :)

Could I do it?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Holy ****!! Metro 2033 Redux is now playable on my iMac. The web driver did the trick, guys! I'm gonna download Metro Last Light Redux tonight and possibly Dead Island (a game that's NEVER ran well) and see if it helps frame rates.

Just a rough guesstimate of the improvement in Metro 2033 - it went from 2-5 seconds per frame to about 20-25 fps now.

Reactions: Fl0r!an

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Holy ****!! Metro 2033 Redux is now playable on my iMac. The web driver did the trick, guys! I'm gonna download Metro Last Light Redux tonight and possibly Dead Island (a game that's NEVER ran well) and see if it helps frame rates.

Just a rough guesstimate of the improvement in Metro 2033 - it went from 2-5 seconds per frame to about 20-25 fps now.

Awesome! Will download the driver and give it a try!

Are you running the game at max settings?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Awesome! Will download the driver and give it a try!

Are you running the game at max settings?

Nope. Lowest settings for everything.

Holy crap, though. Someone updated something within the past week or two. I keep Steam Overlay on when I game on Steam pretty much all the time, and I was looking for something to play since I finished Tomb Raider 2013. I fired up both Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light (both the Redux versions), and it's gone from 10-25 fps to 40-65 fps!

WTF? I feel like I just bought a new Mac!

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Nope. Lowest settings for everything.

Holy crap, though. Someone updated something within the past week or two. I keep Steam Overlay on when I game on Steam pretty much all the time, and I was looking for something to play since I finished Tomb Raider 2013. I fired up both Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light (both the Redux versions), and it's gone from 10-25 fps to 40-65 fps!

WTF? I feel like I just bought a new Mac!

Damn... I got $10.99 back on Steam for the refund of Metro Redux last week or so. Now the game bundle is on sale for $8.24!!!!! Buying those games again lol

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012

Those specs were copied and pasted from the steam web page for the game.

Checking "About this Mac" on my iMac reveals the following for the GPU in this system:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB

So unless Apple does not know what they put in here, I guess it must be an Nvidia GTX card. ;)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
Probably not seeing the information, how do I check what driver I have and will Apple over write it at some point? Part way through Metro Last Light and been mulling over the redux versions but the poor reviews put me off. Not using Steam, but will be the App store. Down to £7.99 at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.