Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
MacTubes is still working for me. Sorted by date, new videos appear above the Google warning.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    202.2 KB · Views: 116

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
MacTubes is still working for me. Sorted by date, new videos appear above the Google warning.

Did you read the link a few posts up? It will work until Mid may until youtube drops support for the old API. After that these apps will cease to be able to stream youtube videos.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
EVEN AFTER DOWNGRADING TO YOUVIEW 0.5 I still cannot watch any music vidoes or lyric videos has nothing to do with being Vevo videos or not

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Also on a related topic... The YouTube app on Windows Mobile devices still works, I run WIndows Mobile 6 on my PocketPC and it works abit slow and laggy but works nonetheless on Windows Mobile Devices only way to view YouTube would be the app

Microsoft will mostly have updated the API for these devices, probably ages ago too. Microsoft actually care about their legacy users, unlike Apple who will just leave all the ATV1+2 and older iOS devices in the dark.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Microsoft will mostly have updated the API for these devices, probably ages ago too. Microsoft actually care about their legacy users, unlike Apple who will just leave all the ATV1+2 and older iOS devices in the dark.

AFAIK Microsoft has completely stopped supporting Windows Mobile 6. Windows Update no longer works and there is next to nothing in updates on the MS website. Also I found out that Google Voice no longer works on the PocketPC either so I still have to try YouTube

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
AFAIK Microsoft has completely stopped supporting Windows Mobile 6. Windows Update no longer works and there is next to nothing in updates on the MS website. Also I found out that Google Voice no longer works on the PocketPC either so I still have to try YouTube

Generally MS does a much better job at accommodating older technology, unlike Apple. It took MS 12 years to stop supporting XP, though the market did not want to let go of XP, especially after the Vista release.Apple on the other hand keeps pushing people to upgrade. XP is still a widely used and accepted OS despite its age. In 2013, 35% of the market was using XP. In 2014, the last year of XP support, XP accounted for 25%. By comparison OS 10.9, Apples only significant user group, was less than 4% (other Mac OS X was ~3% combined, 10.6 being the biggest Mac portion after 10.9 at 1% total marketshare).

XP was released in 2001. At the same time, Apple OS offered 10.0/10.1. For nearly all intents and purposes, considering that OS X was not readily adopted until 10.2, most people were still using OS 9. Imagine if 25% of computers (or even 25% of Macs) still ran OS 9! Imagine if newly released software still could be run on OS9... Or even 10.1. If Apple were to support a 12 year old OS in 2015, we'd be looking at Panther (10.3)!!

Granted Apple had few users back then compared to now (small affected population) and there was the whole processor switch. But even 10.7 from 2010-2011 still has a lot of limitations with newer software. Apple won't even give 10.7 the newest version of Safari. Once Apple leaves you in the dark, you're stuck in that generation of your computer (but that's not to say you can't functionally use your computer for most purposes). Apple essentially wants everyone running iOS 8 and Yosemite or at least Mountain Lion.

I know you're going to complain that I'm mentioning smartphones, but it is just the evolution of the PDA. I know you think smartphone users are "lazy" but in reality it's just combining 2 products into one. But...

Windows Mobile/Pocket PC/CE sold pretty poorly overall and got dragged out way too long. It had a few moments of success bridging the gap at the end of the PDA craze and the shift to smartphone. Palm pretty much controlled the PDA market historically until their OS just became too archaic. Windows had a couple years of success along with BlackBerry, but eventually BB dominated, but that too was short lived as iOS and Android moved in, especially in the consumer sector.

The problem Windows 6 also is a complete lack of 3rd party software development compared to what Apple and Android have going for them. Why support something no one else is? Even Windows Phone (WM6 replacement) has 3% worldwide/4% US marketshare and only has 300,000 Apps while Android and BB have 1,200,000 and 1,300,000 respectively. This is one big factor in the death of Palm's (excellently executed) WebOS and why BB is nearly dead. Windows Mobile in 2010, it's last year, was 0.6% of the market (and the market was much smaller back then), so the affected population is quite small.

To be fair smartphones *intended* lifespan is very short- 2 years essentially in that phones typically come with a 2 year contract. With the use of Windows Mobile 6 ending in 2010, 5 years later I assume MS expects everyone to have upgraded from a PDA to smartphone or to a newer smartphone. Thus Windows 6 supporting is useless at this point. I think iOS is different in the sense that it is used broadly across many phenomenally selling products- iPhones, iPad, iPod, and Apple TV. The latter items have the ability to last very long and won't be encouraged to upgrade due to a contract renewal/subsisting by cellular provider. Yes, WM was used in some PDA's and Phones, but it was a minuscule population compared to all the iPod Touches and iPads of the world. Obviously there are hardware limitations in some instances, but completely leaving one in the dark can be frustrating.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Windows Mobile/Pocket PC/CE sold pretty poorly overall and got dragged out way too long.

Although Windows PDAs and Palm devices are consigned to history now, I think they were a significant bridge to where we are at now - but back then, todays consumer market simply didn't exist.
I remember those times fondly and I still keep a few PDAs at hand (see pics) - it's easy to forget how revolutionary they were at the time.
At the time I always used to view Palm devices as the 'Mac' equivalent of the Windows Pocket PCs in terms of efficiency and certainly the design :)

Attachments

• Palm V.jpg
    Palm V.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 72
  • PDA.jpg
    PDA.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 77
  • PDA2.jpg
    PDA2.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: Amethyst1

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Although Windows PDAs and Palm devices are consigned to history now, I think they were a significant bridge to where we are at now - but back then, todays consumer market simply didn't exist.
I remember those times fondly and I still keep a few PDAs at hand (see pics) - it's easy to forget how revolutionary they were at the time.
At the time I always used to view Palm devices as the 'Mac' equivalent of the Windows Pocket PCs in terms of efficiency and certainly the design :)

Yes I remember those days. My father had a Palm Pilot and prior to that a Handspring Visor and an Apple Newton MessagePad 120. My mom had a Sharp Wizard and then later a Palm Tungsten as she could download Medical Apps. There's no doubt the PDA helped get to to where we are, but for the majority of the history Palm was king, PPC had a couple years of success in the market share at the very end (I think the fact Palm offered it in the Treo line was probably significant) Thanks to Apple and Google, we really teleported ahead what feels like generations between Palm/W6M/BlackBerry and iOS/Android.

I had a Palm OS Treo Phone in early High School. It was the best phone I ever owned. It had to be replaced seriously 4-5 times, but I loved that thing. My next phone was a BB which just didn't have the same level of simplicity.

I was back at my parents house and dug out my Newton (that my father gave to me essentially unused in box years ago). It's a clever little device but the OS is not exactly intuitive as you would expect. I love how it has an external modem to send faxes haha.

Last edited:

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
I've still got a Palm 5000 in somewhere, it was the first genuinely useful PDA. There's various other PDAs in the same box - Psion 5, various Windows Mobile devices and a Nokia Communicator IIRC.

The Palm was the purest and best device IMO. Updated the PalmPilot 5000 to a Palm III, but unfortunately it was lost. The Windows Mobile devices mainly got used for GPS Sat Nav duties until. They were far less intuitive than the Palm though.

Used some of the early HTC Windows phones under they're operator branding at work, but the battery life was always terrible and the phone functionality was never good.

Then we got the iPhone. :D

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I had a Palm OS Treo Phone in early High School. It was the best phone I ever owned. It had to be replaced seriously 4-5 times, but I loved that thing. My next phone was a BB which just didn't have the same level of simplicity.

At some point I had a Treo 650 - they were great - stylish but very functional. In that era I loved the diversity of options for devices - something Android and iOS has wiped away.

The Newton appeared too early I guess, though again, important historically and no doubt Apple learnt from it before launching iPhone. I think it still has a big user group following though.

----------

I've still got a Palm 5000 in somewhere, it was the first genuinely useful PDA. There's various other PDAs in the same box - Psion 5, various Windows Mobile devices and a Nokia Communicator IIRC. :D

I had a few Nokia Communicators - it was a beast of a phone. I remember the look on a colleague's face when he asked what I was doing with my phone - "oh, just downloading some files from home via FTP.."
He replied, " I can only play Snake on mine.." :)

patspahr9

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2014
How do you download from YouTube?

I only use Mactubes for downloading clips from YouTube. There are many reasons for wanting to do this. But I've used Mactubes for years and now Google has blocked it from functioning any longer with the new release of YouTube. (I hate google. This is just one more reason why.)

QUESTION: Do any of you know of any current application that allows you to download clips/files/videos from YouTube?

Thank you.

Pat.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I only use Mactubes for downloading clips from YouTube. There are many reasons for wanting to do this. But I've used Mactubes for years and now Google has blocked it from functioning any longer with the new release of YouTube. (I hate google. This is just one more reason why.)

QUESTION: Do any of you know of any current application that allows you to download clips/files/videos from YouTube?

Thank you.

Pat.

The YouTube Video Downloader extention for Firefox/TenFourFox should do the trick. If you just want to watch videos in QuickTime use the TenFourFox Quicktime enabler.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.