Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nuak

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
I'm quite curious about how games perform on the new retina Macbook. Could someone who owns one share some impressions on how it runs games like Starcraft 2?

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
As long as it can handle Portal and Portal 2, I'm set until they announce Portal 3.

I have very narrow tastes in 3d gaming.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I haven't tried it with my rMB, but based on some tests with Unigine's Heaven benchmark, performance is going to vary a lot depending on how you set the retina resolution. At highest resolution, I think my late 2013 rMBP was getting only 5 fps.

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
You have to realize that the airs have a much stronger processor [I wanna say 15w] compared to the 5w passively cooled Core M.

I'm not going to waste forever downloading starcraft, but MINECRAFT gets something between 32-41 FPS and runs pretty smooth [there's a little chug from my texture pack from time to time, but very slight. . much better than the SP3.

Of course, I found the workaround to not installing Java 6 legacy...

lch6257

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2015
I'm quite curious about how games perform on the new retina Macbook. Could someone who owns one share some impressions on how it runs games like Starcraft 2?

Why game on a macbook? $1300 plus with taxes (discounted of course) for base model, try a $399 PS4.

Reactions: Max(IT)

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
It's not going to perform well. It doesn't even have a fan. But it's not meant for gaming so no surprises.

Get an Xbox One or a Razer Blade.

Reactions: AFEPPL

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Why game on a macbook? $1300 plus with taxes (discounted of course) for base model, try a $399 PS4.

Because if people are buying a portable machine it makes sense they might want to do a bit of light gaming while travelling, probably the main use case for the device?

Reactions: decio

saifrc

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
Has anyone tried Hearthstone, The Sims 4, or League of Legends on the new MacBook?

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2014
Eww consoles D: PC > console anyday for me

Though your post is old, I'd like to add even as a huge Mac fan a console is a superior gaming platform than any Macintosh purely on developer support alone. If the debate's purely between a Mac or a console I'd go console every time.

Don't understand the 'eww consoles' comment either, some of the most enjoyable and definitive gaming experiences ever were on consoles (Mario 64, Mario Bros, Goldeneye, MGS1, Silent Hill 2 etc). The anti-console sentiment is silly and veiled-fanboyism.

Reactions: Max(IT)

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Though your post is old, I'd like to add even as a huge Mac fan a console is a superior gaming platform than any Macintosh purely on developer support alone. If the debate's purely between a Mac or a console I'd go console every time.

Don't understand the 'eww consoles' comment either, some of the most enjoyable and definitive gaming experiences ever were on consoles (Mario 64, Mario Bros, Goldeneye, MGS1, Silent Hill 2 etc). The anti-console sentiment is silly and veiled-fanboyism.

I find enjoyment on a non-console platform more enjoyable due to the input. Therefore to me, consoles are inferior. And also I said "PC", not specifically macs. I will agree that development for mac gaming lacks support, but if the argument was windows, it would be another story. Also desktop towers have upgradable components whereas the console gets dated and is just tossed in the corner somewhere when the new one is purchased. I just find consoles impractical. It is my opinion, and you are entitled to your preference as well.

Great games definitely were on consoles back in the day, when computers were more dedicated devices for productivity. No arguments that the classics cannot be surpassed in enjoyment level. But today, there is no real reason to have a dedicated device solely for gaming when a computer can handle it just as well, or even better. Again, you are entitled to your opinion, you don't need to necropost to criticize me on mine.

Queen6

macrumors G4
System Shock 2 on my 1.2 rMB runs beautifully, although System Shock 2 harks from circa 1999, the version I play has numerous upgrades/mods that vastly improves the graphics over the original release, while retaining the deep and at times terrifying gameplay. My own 1.2 MacBook runs it perfectly; frame rates are solid, temperatures are reasonable (1440x900) and the audio is awesome for such a small system.

After some experimentation with mods & config files System Shock 2 not only runs well, it looks fantastic for a game that is now 16 years old, thanks to a very healthy and committed fan community. I also used Intel`s Power Gadget 3 to help setup up the game on the MacBook by monitoring/logging the CPU/GPU behaviour to prevent the SOC from thermal throttling and killing the game experience.

If you are into Sci-Fii, horror, survival, FPS, RPG System Shock 2 has it all all and much more. Obviously the graphics are dated in comparison to the latest title`s, equally for gameplay, storyline and amazing soundscape all make System Shock 2 a truly relevant game that is both challenging, absorbing and highly unforgiving. System Shock 2 runs in a compatibility layer (Wineskin) on OS X and is available from GOG, for those with rMBP`s, be prepared for silent fans & nightmares :)

dump000.png
dump002.png
dump012.png

Screen Cap`s off 2015 1.2 rMB @ 1440x900

Up next is Stasis another Sci-Fi horror, although very much different to the typical immersive 3D game. One game I would like to play on the rMB is Outlast, watch Session 9, then play Outlast, you can forget sleeping :eek:

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: decio

superserious2.0

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
Under The Sea
Why not try Supreme Commander 1 or 2 with 8 players 250 unit limit, then 500 unit limit, then 1000 unit limit. I would not be surprise if the rMB shuts down :)

Queen6

macrumors G4
Amnesia: The Dark Decent, Doom 3 & Stasis all run well, equally you need to be selective with the video options. I look to set up the games so the CPU generally stays below 80C. I normally elevate the rear of the rMB and I also have a small powered cooler that directs the airflow to the mid rear of the baseplate.

Have also just got System Shock - Enhanced Edition (Windows) working under Wine, however have yet to try it on the rMB.

Q-6

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
im interested to know... hows the temperature when gaming? when i play ragnarok on wine (Air 11 2015) it runs 52C only.. im not a hardcore gamer .. but i run my ragnarok for 8hrs ... coz im vending while at work lol....
i use PS/lightroom occasionally ...

returning my air11 2015 for this.... im jealous of the retina screen.... and 256gb ssd...
im planning to bootcamp it and install win10 ...
i might get another air 11 with 256ssd or this rMB based model.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.