Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I've just finished that one too. Started it after watching the series. I hadn't heard of her before but thought it was really readable. It was interesting to impose the character portrayed in the Mantel series (or am I just thinking he was actually Mark Rylance?) on the one in her book. I liked the Cromwell in the series but I'm not sure I would have liked the one that Borman outlined.

Yes, I thought it very readable, too, though - perhaps - I would have liked to see a bit more made of some of the sources that she did use.

The TV series (Wolf Hall), Hilary Mantel's books, the RSC stage adaptations of the books (which I saw in the Aldwych last August - superb) and indeed, Tracy Borman's book all sketch a number of character arcs, or which Thomas Cromwell's own is only one.

Henry VIII himself is another, and his transformation from a winsome talented Renaissance Prince, to the capricious, cruel and bloated creature he had become by the end of his reign is another fascinating arc.

The thing about Cromwell though, is that historically, he has been painted all white (much of the stuff written in earlier centuries, and the writings of the mid twentieth century historian Geoffrey Elton, to some extent), or all deepest black, when any reading of the sources or the era should see the various shadings of grey.

And, at the end of the day, whatever about the horror of some of what he did, virtually all of it was done in Henry's service, with the aim of carrying out the King's - either stated or implied - anticipated or actual wishes.

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Just started 'Muddling through in Madagascar' by Dervla Murphy. Having read several of her books, look forward to unique sense of humor.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
The Meaning of Hitler by Sebastian Haffner. Brilliant book, on point and a good entry point.

and

The Mother by Gorki.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The Meaning of Hitler by Sebastian Haffner. Brilliant book, on point and a good entry point.

and

The Mother by Gorki.

What makes 'The Meaning of Hitler' so good? I write that as someone who has read - and owns - an almost embarrassing number of books about the man (his regime and his times).

I read some of Gorki's stuff years ago; how do you find 'The Mother'?

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
What makes 'The Meaning of Hitler' so good? I write that as someone who has read - and owns - an almost embarrassing number of books about the man (his regime and his times).

Obviously I can only comment on the original German version "Anmerkungen zu Hitler" but Haffner's writing style is extremely good imo. Somewhat simple (not simplistic!) in form, let's say down to earth for the lack of a better word, very focused and presents his original ideas and observations very calm and collected, matter to fact.

The Meaning of Hitler is more an essay with roundabout 200 pages. It does not go into lenghty details but the basic premises are very well thought out and presented - it dishes out a lot of food for thought! Heavily recommended (as Haffner's "History of A German: Memories of 1914-33" which he wrote during his exile in England, seems like there is no translated version of it, same theme as his book "Germany: Jekyll & Hyde")!

how do you find 'The Mother'?

I just started it so not much I can tell. But although the setting in detail looks dated to the modern eye, even I can tell that the basic struggle and obeservations of human nature are the very same as they are today. So, yep, I find it very good so far! :D

Well, and it's Gorki, somehow I knew what I'm expecting. :D

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Been pouring over "Sun Tzu's The Art of War" for a project I am working on. Seems like every time you think you have a full understanding of a section something else jumps out at you.

Has anyone picked up "Do Over" by Jon Acuff? I have his book "Start" but haven't quite finished it.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Just bought this today. The paper kind, the old fashioned way.

Attachments

• 51XKdk-ld6L.jpg
    51XKdk-ld6L.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 71

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Been pouring over "Sun Tzu's The Art of War" for a project I am working on. Seems like every time you think you have a full understanding of a section something else jumps out at you.

Has anyone picked up "Do Over" by Jon Acuff? I have his book "Start" but haven't quite finished it.

Sun Tzu is both well worth reading, and well worth a return visit, every few years.

Just bought this today. The paper kind, the old fashioned way.

Ah, that looks most interesting. Do, please, let us know how you find it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, for relaxation, I am re-visiting some old favourites written by the late, great Sir Terry Prachett, (and am about to read a few I hadn't read earlier). For history, - and I always seem to have a history book open irrespective of what else I read - I am browsing through a gorgeous book called 'Castle' by Marc Morris.

More challenging - and serious - books also beckon. The invariably excellent Patrick Cockburn's who penned 'The Rise of Islamic State' and 'Temptations of Power' by Shadi Hamid await my attention along with two on the Indian sub-continent.

These are firstly, one by the widely respected writer Dilip Hiro who has just published 'The Longest August - The Unflinching Rivalry Between India And Pakistan' , and second, a fascinating book that I bought on the strength of an excellent review by Ferdinand Mount - whom I know to be an excellent and thoughtful writer. The book, a handsome hardback, is called 'The Tears Of The Rajas - Mutiny, Marriage and Money in India 1805-1905'.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Well, for relaxation, I am re-visiting some old favourites written by the late, great Sir Terry Prachett, (and am about to read a few I hadn't read earlier).

Where do you suggest one begins to read Sir Terry Prachett? Are his Discworld books best read in order? Are they the ones you'd recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
I recently re-read the Coldfire trilogy by c.s.friedman. If anyone is looking for a fantasy/sci-fi, I very strongly recommend that one.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Where do you suggest one begins to read Sir Terry Prachett? Are his Discworld books best read in order? Are they the ones you'd recommend?

Well, I most certainly didn't read them in any sort of order - actually, those that I have read, I read thematically, (as in the 'Witches' ones, or the 'Sam Vimes/City Watch ones' or the 'Death' ones) and I most certainly haven't read them all yet, or anything close to that.

A good friend gave me several of the witches books around 14 years ago, and that got me started.

Last edited by a moderator:

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
It has been exactly one month since my last post in this thread. I have been reading books in my native language which is why it's been so long since I last posted here.

Anyway, just bought this and will start reading it tonight ...

persepolis.jpg

Persepolis is the story of Satrapi's unforgettable childhood and coming of age within a large and loving family in Tehran during the Islamic Revolution; of the contradictions between private life and public life in a country plagued by political upheaval; of her high school years in Vienna facing the trials of adolescence far from her family; of her homecoming--both sweet and terrible; and, finally, of her self-imposed exile from her beloved homeland. It is the chronicle of a girlhood and adolescence at once outrageous and familiar, a young life entwined with the history of her country yet filled with the universal trials and joys of growing up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.