Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ISFPOWER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2014
i have a brand new 1st gen apple tv 160gb that ive never used or installed, all brand new in original packaging. i was thinking it would be worth money one day but at this point, would it be worth it to keep holding on to it in new condition?

do you guys think value would go up one day soon?

ninjadex

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Don't open it. Difficult to predict what it may be worth in the future, but I don't think the 1st-gen is really worth using these days.

You never know, it could be a worth something much more to a collector one day.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
if you don't need to sell it, then i would keep it sealed. its not worth much now on ebay, and its not got much value to the TV right now from what i can tell either. so the only value it could ever hope to have is to a collector one day.

right now that seems unlikely, but if the Apple TV takes off and becomes an Iconic line central to apple's dominance.. then a 1st Gen Apple TV brand new sealed could be worth a lot someday.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Right now, leave it sealed, as posted in this thread.

And, if I were you, DL the firmware update files for the device before they get tossed by Apple (you never know!) and put them on a CD or DVD and keep it stashed away too - the new owner of that $1M ATV 1 might want them, and you'll be ready! iClarified has a page for all of the ATV firmware files:
http://www.iclarified.com/970/appletv-firmware-download-locations

ISFPOWER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2014
thanks guys, i was having the same feelings, just needed extra confidence.

Right now, leave it sealed, as posted in this thread.

And, if I were you, DL the firmware update files for the device before they get tossed by Apple (you never know!) and put them on a CD or DVD and keep it stashed away too - the new owner of that $1M ATV 1 might want them, and you'll be ready! iClarified has a page for all of the ATV firmware files:
http://www.iclarified.com/970/appletv-firmware-download-locations

good idea, thank you, never thought of that. im going to do that now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.