Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
It doesn't look it comes with an extension cord like other macbooks, but if I have one laying around from my other macbook, can I use it with the new power brick that comes with the new MacBook Retina?

saifrc

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
It doesn't look it comes with an extension cord like other macbooks, but if I have one laying around from my other macbook, can I use it with the new power brick that comes with the new MacBook Retina?

Most reports say that the extension cord from other Mac chargers will work with the charger for the new MacBook.

It sounds like the cord from the brick to the computer is a 6-foot USB-C to USB-C cord, which is detachable, but only good for charging (no data transfer).

fatefulwhisper

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008

yes, it fits and works fine.

Attachments

• IMG_6395.jpg
    IMG_6395.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 61

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

The rMB comes with a charging cord that is over six feet long. Which is leaps longer than any of the charger cords I have from my previous four MBAs.

melb00m

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
It sounds like the cord from the brick to the computer is a 6-foot USB-C to USB-C cord, which is detachable, but only good for charging (no data transfer).

Seriously? That seems odd, why would it not allow data transfer.

saifrc

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
Seriously? That seems odd, why would it not allow data transfer.

I'm only repeating what I've read others report, but I've seen this kind of thing before. Sometimes a cable looks like a USB cable, but it only carries the pins/wires for power, and not the pins/wires for data. I think it's cheaper to manufacture. It's too bad if it's true, because it would be nice to have a USB-C data cable as a free accessory.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I'm only repeating what I've read others report, but I've seen this kind of thing before. Sometimes a cable looks like a USB cable, but it only carries the pins/wires for power, and not the pins/wires for data. I think it's cheaper to manufacture. It's too bad if it's true, because it would be nice to have a USB-C data cable as a free accessory.

I would take "reports" for a grain of salt. Before the rMB launched people claimed the charging cord was the same length of as an iPad cord - not.

;)

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
The rMB comes with a charging cord that is over six feet long. Which is leaps longer than any of the charger cords I have from my previous four MBAs.

It's definitely longer, but unfortunately the power brick no longer has the 'holds' to wrap the cord around for travel/storage. The omission of the AC extension that all previous MacBooks have come with in recent memory is also a cheap-a$$ move by Apple. I could understand if it was priced the same as a MBA, but not at 50% more.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

This is a hunch, not a promise - the cable Apple supplies is quite thick, so it probably as quite a few conductors in it, so it probably is a fully capable USB-C cable. That hunch is worth everything you paid for it... ;)

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA
This is a hunch, not a promise - the cable Apple supplies is quite thick, so it probably as quite a few conductors in it, so it probably is a fully capable USB-C cable. That hunch is worth everything you paid for it... ;)

From the Apple Store:

"The 2-meter USB-C Charge Cable is a charging cable with USB-C connectors on both ends. Use it with the Apple 29W USB-C Power Adapter (sold separately) to conveniently charge your MacBook with USB-C port from a wall outlet. It also supports USB 2 for syncing and data transfer between USB-C devices."

From the Apple MacBook support area:

"Directly connect the 2-meter USB-C Charge Cable and the 29W USB-C Power Adapter to charge your computer. These are included in the box with your MacBook. You can also use the USB-C Charge Cable to transfer data between your MacBook and other USB-C devices at USB 2.0 speeds."

I think it's pretty well defined. Unless of course, it changes. :D

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
From the Apple Store:

"The 2-meter USB-C Charge Cable is a charging cable with USB-C connectors on both ends. Use it with the Apple 29W USB-C Power Adapter (sold separately) to conveniently charge your MacBook with USB-C port from a wall outlet. It also supports USB 2 for syncing and data transfer between USB-C devices."

"Directly connect the 2-meter USB-C Charge Cable and the 29W USB-C Power Adapter to charge your computer. These are included in the box with your MacBook. You can also use the USB-C Charge Cable to transfer data between your MacBook and other USB-C devices at USB 2.0 speeds."

I think it's pretty well defined.

Infinitely better than a hunch - excellent post!

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
From the Apple Store:

I think it's pretty well defined. Unless of course, it changes. :D

But why only 2.0 speeds???

Cvx5832

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2014
As pointed out the extension works, but even without it the included USB-C cable is long enough. In fact I think it's just right. It becomes too cumbersome when it's too long.

nrubenstein

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
Washington, DC
I would guess that above and beyond the price advantage, there is probably a thinness advantage. Keep in mind that a 2 meter cable requires larger gauge wire to limit voltage drop.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
To transfer data at USB 3.0 speeds requires additional wiring.

Yeah, that is a bit of a given. So Apple provides a USB 2.0 charger cable with type C connectors. Actually kind of lame. You don't get the extension cable and you don't get a proper USB 3.x cable. I mean I guess its better than no data capabilities at all, but this also means things like charger bricks with onboard peripheral hubs are not a viable product unless they ship with their own cable. Just a bit of a let down, that's all.

Edit: Good post by dyt1983, and I get the trade-offs...2m long 4.8mm diameter cable would actually be pretty cumbersome in a laptop bag, would probably defeat the purpose...but still disappointing.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I haven't gone back to the tech specs, but I'm 99.9999% sure that USB C can support speeds greater than current USB 3.0, and that the implementation in the rMB will support at least 5 mb/s.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Has anyone tried connecting two rMB's together to see if target disk mode works?

nrubenstein

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
Washington, DC
Target Disk Mode used to be in the docs but was removed. But booting one in the store gives the USB symbol. But I haven't read about anyone trying yet... it will be more important when we're replacing our MacBooks with the next model!

http://www.macworld.com/article/291...ok-we-had-setup-hassles-migrating-or-not.html

The best practice with a laptop is to never have anything on it that you can't delete without thinking. With DropBox and iCloud, that's pretty easy to achieve.

Heck, I even keep images of non-App Store install discs in the cloud so that I can do a clean install on the road.

JKNorth

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2010
The cable is about 6" longer than my MBPr power cable.

But USB 2.0? Geez, that's a little lame. (Not that there's anything to plug into with USB-C yet...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.