Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
Apple pushed out 7.2 updates for both 3rd Gen ATVs today. Apple indicated it's a "stability and performance" update. Updating mine now...

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Same here. One of the faster updates I have done. See no changes.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I hope it fixes airplay with music app.

spotify worked well but music app, nah. constantly fighting it.

I updated, I literally had nothing to lose

goodgodlemon

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
I just updated and it seems it took away the TV app from the top row!
Did this happen to anyone else?

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Still not fixed the constant loss of visibility of the iTunes library on the network issue...

does apple EVER fix know bugs that cause usability issues, or just the ones that might let people jailbreak stuff ?

awing23

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2015
had the same problem. i went to settings-general-restart and that fixed the missing Movie icon.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I have been trying to update my ATV3 for a couple days now, and keep getting this error:

“The Update was not successful.
The Apple TV update couldn’t be downloaded at this time. Try again later.”

?????

I have updated my iPhone 6, and my MBP, but, still getting this for ATV??

I'm thinking of trying restore (as nothing else works), but afraid it'll have the same problem, as it will have to download the software in the process.

Is the server really that busy still, or what the ef is going on?

----------

That error message keeps popping up after hitting OK. It's getting annoying.

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
Still not fixed the constant loss of visibility of the iTunes library on the network issue...

does apple EVER fix know bugs that cause usability issues, or just the ones that might let people jailbreak stuff ?
I'm experiencing the same issue and usually restarting iTunes on my MacBook resolves the issue. With that said, a software update on the ATV side is not going to fix this problem.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
I have been trying to update my ATV3 for a couple days now, and keep getting this error:

“The Update was not successful.
The Apple TV update couldn’t be downloaded at this time. Try again later.”

?????

I have updated my iPhone 6, and my MBP, but, still getting this for ATV??

I'm thinking of trying restore (as nothing else works), but afraid it'll have the same problem, as it will have to download the software in the process.

Is the server really that busy still, or what the ef is going on?

----------

That error message keeps popping up after hitting OK. It's getting annoying.

Tried updating twice this week and as of this morning got this error again so no success yet?!

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Tried updating twice this week and as of this morning got this error again so no success yet?!
late last night it actually worked, it started out saying it would take 2 hours, but it took more than that, I just left it going and it updated in my sleep, finally.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Been a couple days. I haven't noticed any change. That said I wasn't (in my usage) experiencing any problems which always scares me to update but it doesn't look like it broke anything for me.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I'm experiencing the same issue and usually restarting iTunes on my MacBook resolves the issue. With that said, a software update on the ATV side is not going to fix this problem.

Its either a bug in OSx/itunes or a bug in the apple TV firmware.

Having to go upstairs, or get out of bed to reboot the iMac every time i want to use the apple TV, or between shows, is what has made me move to using PLEX and the Amazon Fire TV...

so far apple , since 2008, has driven me away from its tablets and laptops (i now use a cheap £200 lenovo with a keyboard cover that runs full windows 8.1 and has a full day battery charge, its replaced my iPad and Macbook air with a smaller, lighter device) i have a 2011 iMac that i wont upgrade now, i built a PC, the new iMacs are too sealed and i worry about HDD failure and the fact i cant replace or upgrade myself., and being sick of the iPhone battery life over several generations, i have gone to HTC for my phone.

for me apple has gone down hill a LOT since the Leopard / Snow leopard days , for me, thats when apples software and hardware reached peak usability and stability, now they sell cheap, sealed units, in a shiny case to people who buy as a fashion statement every other year instead of wanting a top quality productivity product that lasts.

Basically Apple has gone from being Premium Products built well, to cheap Chinese crap built as cheaply as possible and sold at an insanely high margin in a well polished case, the case being the only bit that's actually high quality., Polished Turds.. that what apple means to me now.

chalupa_batman

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010

I was having this issue at one point that ended up being a faulty wifi card. Apple replaced it under a replacement program. https://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/15/apple-initiates-replacement-program-for-3rd-generation-apple-tvs-with-wifi-connectivity-issues/

andreyirra

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
Mexico
Has anyone had problems with the remote?

I press a button and it's registered because the white light flickers with every press but the AppleTV would act as if nothing was being registered.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
All our movies are there, but only in categories and only on one of the AppleTVS. The kid is watching something right now or I'd do a full reset. This is really annoying.

Doing a restore. Will see what happens.

Last edited:

whtgables

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2015
Firmware 7.2

With Firmware 7.2, I'm now experiencing HDCP-related messages / errors with my Denon receiver. I've had this hardware combination for almost 2 years, haven't had this issue prior to the update...

Anyone else run into the HDCP compatibility error messages with the latest firmware?

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Did they ever fix that problem with it dropping off the network after sleeping while ethernet is connected?

Had to change mine to never sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.