Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Anyone getting it?

I haven't played my old copies of Battlefront I and II yet?

It seems that the ship sequences are "on rails" and I am not a fan as I really would rather play the Rogue Squadron games instead (freeflight 3D).

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
It seems that the ship sequences are "on rails" and I am not a fan as I really would rather play the Rogue Squadron games instead (freeflight 3D).
On what do you base this assumption? On the obviously pre-rendered and scripted trailer?

Based on the GameInformer preview, you can fly ships freely, but not in space.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
Anyone getting it?

I haven't played my old copies of Battlefront I and II yet?

First off, you should really play Battlefront I and II. They are great games, and are beautiful in their presentation of the universe.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. The universe stuff seems solid still, but I dunno about the rest of it. One of the weakest points of the original game was the AI and gunplay (it was fun in that you were an auto-aiming wrecking ball, and it was basically a matter of enemy humans or just sheer numbers that you'd lose against an AI.) So there's plenty of room to improve on that, but I'm wary of just making a Battlefield game with Star Wars wrapping around it.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
It's by EA, so, not bloody likely (am I getting it).

In other news, I did buy X-Wing Alliance off GOG, and I'm loving it...the fan-based mods make it look beautiful, so I'm getting my Star Wars fix that way.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
It's by EA, so, not bloody likely (am I getting it).

In other news, I did buy X-Wing Alliance off GOG, and I'm loving it...the fan-based mods make it look beautiful, so I'm getting my Star Wars fix that way.

Maybe now that Disney owns Lucasfilm, people want them to revive both the Rogue Squadron and X-Wing series of games.

Imagine those games on PS4, XBox One, and Nintendo NX systems... :eek:

;)

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Maybe now that Disney owns Lucasfilm, people want them to revive both the Rogue Squadron and X-Wing series of games.

Imagine those games on PS4, XBox One, and Nintendo NX systems... :eek:

;)

You'd think....

I look at those old TIE-fighter and X-Wing games like the old N64 games *not* on the Virtual Console...it's like, "instant money" if they would just lift a couple of fingers. But they don't.

Honestly, the Disney people are marketing geniuses, so, I imagine they have looked and crunched the numbers, and determined that kiddies want FPS games and shorter games. Space sims? not so much, but if the recent efforts like Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, or Descent Underground can establish there is a market, then maybe their calculations will change, and they will see it worth the $$$ to re-develop those games.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
First off, you should really play Battlefront I and II. They are great games, and are beautiful in their presentation of the universe..

I looked at my collection and found that I only have I and II for XBox - never got PS2 versions. II is still sealed - have you seen what copies of these are going for in the collector's market? :eek: The Start Wars Collectors want these as well as us Videogame Collectors. May have to break II open and take the depreciation...

I am currently side-tracked with my new XBox One...;)

You'd think....

I look at those old TIE-fighter and X-Wing games like the old N64 games *not* on the Virtual Console...it's like, "instant money" if they would just lift a couple of fingers. But they don't.

Honestly, the Disney people are marketing geniuses, so, I imagine they have looked and crunched the numbers, and determined that kiddies want FPS games and shorter games. Space sims? not so much, but if the recent efforts like Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, or Descent Underground can establish there is a market, then maybe their calculations will change, and they will see it worth the $$$ to re-develop those games.

A new Rogue Squadron game would tie in nicely to the Rogue One movie, next year, no?

Yes, they should do "remastering" - Battlefront I & II and Shadows of the Empire, Roue Squadron I-III, and all X-Wing/Tie-Fighter games in HD for the XBox One, PS4, and Nintendo NX... :)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Yes, they should do "remastering" - Battlefront I & II and Shadows of the Empire, Roue Squadron I-III, and all X-Wing/Tie-Fighter games in HD for the XBox One, PS4, and Nintendo NX... :)

I'd love a HD/UHD version of the X-Wing/TIE series (including XvT) but they'd have to dumb down the controls way too much to get it to work smoothly on a controller, IMO.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I'd love a HD/UHD version of the X-Wing/TIE series (including XvT) but they'd have to dumb down the controls way too much to get it to work smoothly on a controller, IMO.

Optional BT or USB keyboards and flightsticks... ;)

btw - maybe for Battlefront 2015? Use flightsticks for flying missions and the standard controller for ground ones?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'll be buying it. I love the SW universe. The Force unleashed 1&2 were both good IMO. The clone wars, not so much. The trailer looks awsome (but then don't they all!) I hate trailers that are nothing like the actual game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.