Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreday24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Hello team,

I am wondering what are the best options for me to do IOS development, I am thinking about buying a mac mini so i can do remote access for development.

Is this the best way or am i mising anything?

thanks,

DredayX

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Hello team,

I am wondering what are the best options for me to do IOS development, I am thinking about buying a mac mini so i can do remote access for development.

Is this the best way or am i mising anything?

thanks,

DredayX
Yes a mac mini would work perfectly. You also stated remote access. It is a little slow for development, even on my high end local network with a mac mini server ( best you could buy last year ) currently serving as a caching server, remote access is slightly delayed. Trying to type code will soon drive you crazy as you have to wait for the very slight delay between keystrokes. It is better to develop directly on the device. Any will work, MacAir for mobile, iMac 27" for BIG screen love, mac mini for your own keyboard and monitor setup.

Good luck and hope to see great things from you!

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I own the Mac min, late 2012 model, basic configuration, and it works just fine with XCode. I'm quite happy with it.

ryanmillercg

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
Toronto, ON
Mac mini will be fine. Consider a Macbook Air for a build machine you can carry around with you. There's a lot of value to being portable.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Screen space is critical for software development. The Mini will be plenty of machine but you need to pair it with a decent monitor. A Mac laptop connected to an external display also works great if portability is needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.