Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
hey while I was browsing ebay I came across this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonnet-Enco...96?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item43dae96908

the much talked about sonnet dual 1.8Ghz G4 cpu upgrade. I know a few peeps here *Looks at eyoungren :p* have been looking for one so I decided to share the link here. enjoy (I wish i could get it but A: i don't have the cash and B: i don't have a compatible mac LOL). MOD NOTE Not my auction Just sharing something I found heh

Last edited:

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
seller said he is listing it as such since he never used it... it looks new and these don't show up often so i would think its worth going for

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
This definitely got my attention. I'll give eyoungren a shot at it, but if he passes I'm going all in on it.

I know they claim it's untested, but I wonder if it's ever even been used with the protective cap still over the socket.

And, what is it with these aftermarket CPU makers putting tamper proof screws to hold the CPU card and heatsink together? I think I have the right driver for that particular screw(I at least have a Torx with a hole in the center), but they still make it a pain. I put regular Phillips head screws in my Gigadesigns to replace the pin-head screws-fortunately they were a standard 6-32 machine screw thread.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Those Sonnet ones with a purple heatsink and one fan on the end as single-core, right?

Passed up on one of those recently that went for about £40. It was listed as 1.4GHz stock but I am not sure what the value in that is since you can get dual 1.4 MDDs for that price.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Don't think that this one is really "rare" or even "much talked about".

Got one with the 1st QuickSilver I bought a few years ago (150€) and when I killed that mobo I bought another QS with a single 1.8GHz as I didn't know wether the dual was still o.k..

Turned out to be o.k. and is lying in storage as I have 0 use for the 2nd CPU (that G4 is MorphOS only).

What is rare is the version for the MDD/FW800, sofar only seen one on ebay (priced way out of line).

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
eyougren said he was out on it, so I'm going for it. Wish me luck!

I think this will end up in a Digital Audio if I win it-perhaps the rackmount.

BTW, I found a nice and not overly large(about 5') 4 post 19" Telco rack today that I think I'm going to grab. I have enough rackmount stuff now that I need to start getting some racks to put it in. Most of the short 19" racks I find are 2 post. Something like my DA G4 will fit fine in a two post rack, but I really feel better with longer stuff like my Xserve and IBM SystemX stuff in a 4-post rack. 4U stuff like the DA tends to not be very deep, while 1U and 3U rackmounts are very deep.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
eyougren said he was out on it, so I'm going for it. Wish me luck!

I think this will end up in a Digital Audio if I win it-perhaps the rackmount.

BTW, I found a nice and not overly large(about 5') 4 post 19" Telco rack today that I think I'm going to grab. I have enough rackmount stuff now that I need to start getting some racks to put it in. Most of the short 19" racks I find are 2 post. Something like my DA G4 will fit fine in a two post rack, but I really feel better with longer stuff like my Xserve and IBM SystemX stuff in a 4-post rack. 4U stuff like the DA tends to not be very deep, while 1U and 3U rackmounts are very deep.

Hope you get it heh it will be interesting to see how it compares to your other cpu upgrade if you can get it to 1.8Ghz heh

harrymatic

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2013
United Kingdom
If the seller is being tricky with international shipping, I'd be happy to forward it to somebody if they have it sent to me in the UK. I'm sure Erik would be able to verify my trustworthiness. :)

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I double checked on the shipping information, and apparently the seller does ship internationally. I'll probably drop them a message, though, anyway just to make sure and talk to one of you folks across the pond about drop shipping if they say no.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
I double checked on the shipping information, and apparently the seller does ship internationally..

.... as in "europe" ;) 6€ in Germany, 16€ to the UK, no idea what it would cost harrymatic to ship to the US on top of that.

At current bidding it would be 67€ to the UK so probraly about 100$ when it reaches the US, and there are still 4 days of bidding left.
Are the prices for these really in the US really that high to warrant this ?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

Check the sold listings; these go for crazy money plus don't crop up that often. I don't get the appeal, myself but I suppose if you need to run MacOS 8.x at warp speed then this is one way to do it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
.... as in "europe" ;) 6€ in Germany, 16€ to the UK, no idea what it would cost harrymatic to ship to the US on top of that.

At current bidding it would be 67€ to the UK so probraly about 100$ when it reaches the US, and there are still 4 days of bidding left.
It cost me about $60 to ship a video card to the UK.

Depending on manufacturer these CPUs average around $300-600 on eBay in the US, not including shipping.

I've seen stone cold dead ones clear for over $100.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
To send a FireGL X3 from Texas to Me in London it cost only $21. (I relayed it like you did with harrymatic) if any one is wondering my single 1.4Ghz Gigadesgines CPU upgrade cost me $126 on ebay.(it came from Malaysia of all places LOL)

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
It cost me about $60 to ship a video card to the UK.

Depending on manufacturer these CPUs average around $300-600 on eBay in the US, not including shipping.

I've seen stone cold dead ones clear for over $100.

Yikes !!!

Bought a Dual with a QS hanging on to it for 150€, same for the single.

Heh back than I even saw one inside a Cube going for similar money....

And there I was thinking my Cyberstorm MK1-060 was the most valuable piece of computer-trash around here (which it might still be, Amiga stuff catches serious penny).

Will keep an eye on this auction and might consider throwing mine in some time later.

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Those are 7447s I believe? So a dual 1.4 with L3 cache should be about the same speed?

My GigaDesigns Dual 1.8 uses 7447As, and the basic design appearance(especially the heatsink shape and fan arrangement) is similar to the Sonnet.

If they are 7447As, hopefully Sonnet at least used faster processors than the 1.25ghz ones that Gigadesigns used.

The 7447As at 1.6ghz benchmark higher than the reported values for the dual 1.42 MDD. Of course, benchmarks don't tell the whole story.

I hope I'm able to win these-I'd really like to see if Sonnet actually managed to pull off dual 1.8s!

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
I hope I'm able to win these-I'd really like to see if Sonnet actually managed to pull off dual 1.8s!

When I still had mine installed in the QS I benchmarked (Linux + Blender) against someone else's PaSemi P6T@1.8GHz, and despite being severly crippled in the memory department I mangaged a slight victory.

1.67GHz PowerBooks reached about 60% (only 1 CPU pulling on better RAM), noone tested a Dual MDD.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
When I still had mine installed in the QS I benchmarked (Linux + Blender) against someone else's PaSemi P6T@1.8GHz, and despite being severly crippled in the memory department I mangaged a slight victory.

1.67GHz PowerBooks reached about 60% (only 1 CPU pulling on better RAM), noone tested a Dual MDD.

I know Geekbench has its issues, but at least on this site

http://www.everymac.com/mac-benchmarks/mac-powerpc-g3-g4-g5-benchmarks.html

The Dual 1.42 is listed as 1224. I managed 1246 with my Gigadesigns in a Quicksilver running at 1.6.

I do have to give the caveat that Geekbench does take into account memory amount. I generally get higher scores than reported at Everymac, and I expect it's because their scores are reported with the standard "base" amount of RAM(which was probably 256mb or 512mb on the MDD). My Quicksilver score above was with 1.5gb of RAM, although that PC-133 SDRAM and not DDR PC-2700 as in the MDD(167mhz rather than 133mhz). The MDD can take more RAM(2gb vs. 1.5gb) so it might edge out my dual 1.6 if that were the case.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Well, I won it, and for about half what I was willing to pay...

Full report forthcoming when it arrives.

Oh very nice I hope it works out heh (I believe this CPU upgrade uses Dual 1.42Ghz 7447As OCed to 1.8Ghz and locked at that speed) Memory amount doesn't really affect geekbench results (my dual 1.42Ghz MDD with 2GB of ram gets 1220 something)

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Oh very nice I hope it works out heh (I believe this CPU upgrade uses Dual 1.42Ghz 7447As OCed to 1.8Ghz and locked at that speed) Memory amount doesn't really affect geekbench results (my dual 1.42Ghz MDD with 2GB of ram gets 1220 something)

Oh boy-if it uses dual 7447As I think that means flashing the ROM. Fortunately, the CD is included.

Of course, if it uses 1.42ghz processors it should be more stable at 1.8ghz than the GigaDesigns with its 1.25ghz.

The finish on the heatsink also appears to be much better than on the Giga. I suspect that the poorly finished heatsink has been the problem all along with the Gigadesigns. I'm at least the third owner of that particular processor, and it seems to run a lot better after lapping the heatsink(which none of the previous owners did). I may actually lap it again, since my last job wasn't perfect, and see if I can push it even more with the stock cooling.

Since the one in this thread is a Sonnet, I have full faith and confidence that it will actually work at the stated speed right out of the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.