Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Next up: Adobe announces Photoshop for Apple Watch.

This is insane. It's one thing to have this kind of app on a phone, where you might want to do the occasion tweak or test out an idea on the go, but on your watch!?

That would be cool to be able to edit photos and videos on your watch. Maybe do a little 4K encoding too. :D

Bigsk8r

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Austin, Texas
This is so useless...

I don't think it's useless. But the application I can see is fairly limited.

Like a bartender at a small bar (or owner of another small business) changing a playlist, or getting quickly to a specific song without leaving the bar or digging their phone out.

BUT... The remote app tied to an ATV with a large library would be adequate.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
That would be cool to be able to edit photos and videos on your watch. Maybe do a little 4K encoding too. :D

Yeah. And where the hell is Safari?

And split screen multitasking?!

Edit: I remember when iMovie was released for iPhone 4 thinking "Wow, it's amazing what you can do on phones now."

Fast forward 5 years and it seems I've become a bit of a pessimist. Instead of marvelling at a computer that can do all of this and fit inside the Watch, I'm mocking it for being "useless".

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Just when you thought there was no hope of ever finding a way to mix sampled music clips on a tiny screen that could be strapped to your wrist that would also need yiur iPhone in your back pocket to operate ... then this comes along!

The timing couldn't have been better. Well done DJPro!;)

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
This picture just seems so appropriate.

5940114b57a48c126522c65b6fb0936a900871a0fa482eafabb9e9af07412764.jpg

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I'm specifically talking about this one app. No DJ worth his salt is going to forego the control and features available to him at this turntables/mixer/laptop to DJ a show on his watch. The most I can see this being used is in a pinch if the DJ has to step down for a few minutes to handle a situation.

I'm just waiting for FCPX for the Apple Watch... It's only a matter of time.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
when will people ever stop to assume their needs aren't being addressed so it's USELESS FOR EVERYONE.

what is this idiocy? how can you people actually really believe this?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
hehe.. the best part was when he hit pause at the end of the video, the music continued..

Good beat :apple: , but bad choice of mixing... i heard better. Still, if this works on the Apple Watch, then should be good news for all those lazy users now,,, no one needs to reach for their phone anymore.

Although i still can't image why u'd wanna mix n a watch if the result needs to be sent to iOS anyway. would u want a bigger screen for that ?seems like u would

selfsilent

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2014
Many of these apps seem pointless and will just be for showing off initially but then never used again.

Short of reading notifications, controlling lights, controlling music and movies, maybe opening locks or logging into devices at a push. I can't really see much use in the watch.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
I just love people bash apps for the watch "its so gimmicky, oh noes who is gonna use that, ill just use the phone, etc.."

Here is a concept, dont download the app. I know, hard concept to grasp.

I for one look forward to apps like these.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
an app that lets you watch HD movies right on your wrist, streaming via airplay from any Apple device. Listen to ultra HD sound right on the bluetooth headphones and experience a unique movie experience...

I bet someone is working on that as well. As useless as discussion about new strap colors. Seriously...
I must be an oddball, because the moment that app is released I will seriously consider an aWatch.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm a bit disappointed by all of the negative close-minded thinking here. Come on people... the Watch is new territory. What is wrong with experimentation? If the Djay guys want to see if their app can be put on the wrist, then they should try (and they did!). How practical that is should not be the primary objective.... just "can it be done?". During such exercises, lessons are learned and boundaries are tested, which benefits everyone going forward. We should be impressed and thankful, not sitting here like a troll under a bridge complaining that something should not exist.

----------

Short of reading notifications, controlling lights, controlling music and movies, maybe opening locks or logging into devices at a push. I can't really see much use in the watch.

Siri and voice communications will be huge. Imagine being able to have a phone conversation without having to hold a phone in your hand, freeing your hands for other things. Yes, we have headsets already, which ultimately achieve the same thing, but the watch will take that to the next level. You just "watch" it happen. :)

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I'm a bit disappointed by all of the negative close-minded thinking here. Come on people... the Watch is new territory. What is wrong with experimentation? If the Djay guys want to see if their app can be put on the wrist, then they should try (and they did!).
So thinking that an idea is a bad idea is being negative and close-minded? Yeah, they wanted to see if they could do it, and they did. That doesn't make it a good idea.

How practical that is should not be the primary objective.... just "can it be done?". During such exercises, lessons are learned and boundaries are tested, which benefits everyone going forward. We should be impressed and thankful, not sitting here like a troll under a bridge complaining that something should not exist.
I missed this type of positive thinking when there were a flood of fart apps for iOS and Android.

There is a real danger in tarnishing the aWatch experience by these "can it be done?" apps. It's bad enough that there is a general wariness about smartwatches. The situation isn't helped when Apple showcases "send a heartbeat" and "doodle" apps. Very similar to how Microsoft demonstrated "squirting" songs from one Zune to another.

It is very unApple-like to allow a quantity-over-quality approach. It's pretty clear that they wanted to be able to announce that there are over 3000 apps available on "launch day".

kdarling

macrumors P6
This is like the poster child for "Apps that are cool, but a bit much for tiny watches."

However, we're also still in the early "the more apps, the better" stage, where Apple allows anything and everything so that they brag about having a large number of apps.

The same thing happened with the iPhone and iPad at first.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
This is like the poster child for "Apps that are cool, but a bit much for tiny watches."

However, we're also still in the early "the more apps, the better" stage, where Apple allows anything and everything so that they brag about having a large number of apps.

The same thing happened with the iPhone and iPad at first.

It's the over saturation of apps that will make the watch look bad and less focused. It's almost as if they slapped or imported each app on the existing store over to the watch for no reason other than to entice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.