Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeebedy

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2011
Scotland, UK
NOT PROMOTING but...Create Pro

Hey guys,

after hassle with my courier yesterday (didn't arrive and said delivery attempted but I was in the whole day :mad:) I finally received my Mac Pro and man am I pleased! Let me explain...

On delivery the perfect packaging and was greeted by a cardboard sheet with Create Pro which I now know are a top outfit in Europe for Macs customisation etc..and had my receipt sheet with refurb completed by "Tech Pro" (won't say the name of the employee.

So I know my APS refurb is of the highest quality and could not have a better company for my 1 year warranty!

Came with a USB 16Gig with 10.9 pre-loaded (already have 10.10) so when my parts arrive between tomorrow and Friday I will post my results.

Just thought I would give a shout out to CP and you fine people on the Mac Rumours forums for helping me make the better informed choices.

RTJ

AIkatraz

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2015
Houston, TX
I have been using my 2013 MacBook Pro Retina and it just wasn't able to handle my work load anymore :rolleyes:

Got me a 2009 Mac Pro 2.26 8C base from eBay for $600. I added 48GB Ram ($230 from eBay), GTX980 ($300 from Craigslist, didn't need that much horsepower but it was a nice deal), WiFi ac/BT4 card ($20 eBay), and the now called "Legendary Apple SSD" 512GB + PCIe card ($450 from eBay). Total cost so far: $1600

I'll wait till next month to upgrade the CPU chips (when a good deal pops up on eBay) on this badboy...very happy so far :cool: can handle all my work now without a hiccup - hopefully for several years to come.

Thank you MacRumours members for helping in building a cost efficient Mac beast.

Macinsquatch

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2015
New Pro

Found a decent deal for a 2009 2.26 8 core with a Sapphire 7950 on eBay and free shipping to AK, flashed to a 5,1 and installed 2 xeon hex core 3.46 GHz. Had a 970 sitting around so that went in as well. Then to power the second GPU in the beast I put in a 5.25" aux PSU in the second dvd bay. Everything is happily humming along so far. Currently waiting on some custom cables to route everything internally.
16820738739_aef307f07d_z.jpg
[/url]

Last edited:

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
The "I just ordered/bought/got my new/refurb Mac Pro" thread [merged]

Found a decent deal for a 2009 2.26 8 core with a Sapphire 7950 on eBay and free shipping to AK, flashed to a 5,1 and installed 2 xeon hex core 3.46 GHz. Had a 970 sitting around so that went in as well. Then to power the second GPU in the beast I put in a 5.25" aux PSU in the second dvd bay. Everything is happily humming along so far. Currently waiting on some custom cables to route everything internally.
Image[/url]

Looking GOOD! Congrats and enjoy it to the max! Please share with us the internal routing with pictures when completed.

Cheers

Childs

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
Image[/url]

What 5.25" power supply did you get?

Condeavor1

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2015
Colorado Springs, CO
Image[/url]

Wow...! :)

Are you experiencing any issues with two of those high power Xeon's? I was thinking of just going with the x5670's or even x5650's since they are reasonably cheap on eBay, and within Apples manufactured 95W specs. My 2009 came with Apple spec x5570's from the refurbisher and the 32GB of 1333Mhz OWC RAM that being negotiated to 1066Mhz.... 5,1 flash had me hoping to get full RAM speed, but no such luck... Now I'm saving for Hex cores. eBay provided a pre-flashed reference GTX770 2GB for $270. I figured it was worth few bucks to make sure I didn't brick a perfectly good card, :). It's so nice these beauty's are finally becoming available!

Also- is everyone pulling the IHS's or just dropping the x5600's into the 4,1 board after re-flash? I ask because buying used processors, I would prefer to reduce the possibility of degraded thermal paste under the IHS's but don't se an "easy" way of doing this.

Last edited:

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
Image[/url]

are you able to just install the 3.46 hexes without removing the IHS ? Even though the 2.26s don't have the IHS

Macinsquatch

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2015
I have had zero issues with these processors, the temps are all in the low 40's. I assume they are used for the price, got them from this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-Pro-200...012?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33995b71a4

I'm not sure about installing them with the IHS still on. After reading about some very expensive failures I figured it was safer to get de-lidded used ones then try new processors with the IHS. I posted my adventures with routing the cables in this post, still need to solder the power into the PSU of the mac pro. But all cables with the aux PSU will fit in the case with no modding required.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1866870/

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
I have had zero issues with these processors, the temps are all in the low 40's. I assume they are used for the price, got them from this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-Pro-200...012?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33995b71a4

I'm not sure about installing them with the IHS still on. After reading about some very expensive failures I figured it was safer to get de-lidded used ones then try new processors with the IHS. I posted my adventures with routing the cables in this post, still need to solder the power into the PSU of the mac pro. But all cables with the aux PSU will fit in the case with no modding required.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1866870/

Thanks for the link to the de-lidded 3.46s .. I'm seriously tempted to buy a used 8 core and do this upgraded. Did it once before with a single cpu ... The cheapest I'm able to find for an 09 2.26 is like 1099 .. Wish I could find it cheaper

Macinsquatch

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2015
Thanks for the link to the de-lidded 3.46s .. I'm seriously tempted to buy a used 8 core and do this upgraded. Did it once before with a single cpu ... The cheapest I'm able to find for an 09 2.26 is like 1099 .. Wish I could find it cheaper

That's about what I paid, but with free shipping and a 7950 in it I was happy with the deal.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Internal routing cables PSU?

Image[/url]

Still looking forward to your pics with the internal routing of the cables!

Cheers

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Congratulations on the succes of your mod. I've been reading a lot lately about PSU enhancements. I've decided to modify my PSU by tapping power directly from the PSU circuit board. Obviously this COULD be disastrous so I'll wait until my AppleCare runs out and/or I need the power. I may even buy a spare PSU to do the mod and eliminate down time.

Macinsquatch

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2015
Congratulations on the succes of your mod. I've been reading a lot lately about PSU enhancements. I've decided to modify my PSU by tapping power directly from the PSU circuit board. Obviously this COULD be disastrous so I'll wait until my AppleCare runs out and/or I need the power. I may even buy a spare PSU to do the mod and eliminate down time.

So far I've been very happy with my AUX PSU. It's quiet and is able to provide 2 6 pin and 2 8 pin for any video card upgrades in the future. I ordered a second set of custom cables that hopefully will replace those monsters that came with the PSU. Last thing is to solder the power cable to the leads on the internal PSU.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
So far I've been very happy with my AUX PSU. It's quiet and is able to provide 2 6 pin and 2 8 pin for any video card upgrades in the future. I ordered a second set of custom cables that hopefully will replace those monsters that came with the PSU. Last thing is to solder the power cable to the leads on the internal PSU.

That was the most surprising thing for me when I got mine.

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
That was the most surprising thing for me when I got mine.

Just got my Mac Pro here at work, well when I say "mine" I mean "works" :)

Anyways, curious what everyone uses to edit on as far as a monitor. I have about 1500 from work to get a 4K monitor (could be a little more if it's worth it).

So what do you use?

Macinsquatch

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2015
Greatest Deal Ever

So I just spent a fair amount of time upgrading my cMP, and looking on Craigslist I found a nMP 6 core with dual D700's and Applecare only 4 months old for a reasonable price of $2500. Pretty hard to pass that deal up, it's amazing how much quieter these new machines are.

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
So I just spent a fair amount of time upgrading my cMP, and looking on Craigslist I found a nMP 6 core with dual D700's and Applecare only 4 months old for a reasonable price of $2500. Pretty hard to pass that deal up, it's amazing how much quieter these new machines are.

[url=https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8719/17218088048_b922f6618f_z.jpg]Image[/url]

Crazy cheap.

So, are you going to bench it versus the one in your sig or is it gone already?

When you consider that used D700 plus are $2K for a pair, you REALLY got a deal.

Macinsquatch

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2015
Yeah, I should bench these and see how much faster the cMP is. I figured the nMP would be happier running 4k monitors. Turns out I don't get a boot screen just like my cMP.

I think It'll take a cpu upgrade (10 core $1500) to match my cMP based on benchmarks I have seen. Still very impressive how much Apple packed into these new machines. These D700's are still pretty fast for OpenCL workloads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.