Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
This is not the end of the world by any means, more of an impression. Does anyone wish you could force-touch to go home? It find it somewhat cumbersome to reach and press in the digital crown. Thoughts?

New idea that I think will remedy fair points brought up below. Jump.

Last edited:

inkyoto

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2013
This is not the end of the world by any means, more of an impression. Does anyone wish you could force-touch to go home? It find it somewhat cumbersome to reach and press in the digital crown. Thoughts?

Actually, that's a good idea, but the problem is that if you tap it just a bit harder than a normal tap, it might unexpectedly go home. I do think the digital crown to go home is very cumbersome - it would have been better, IMO, if the big button was home and digital crown press was friends list.

sterl320

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2015

reach? as in stretch your fingers further than they can go to press, pull, or grab something? Are you saying you're "reaching" for the crown?

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
reach? as in stretch your fingers further than they can go to press, pull, or grab something? Are you saying you're "reaching" for the crown?

I never mentioned anything about 'reaching' or distance. Reach and cumbersome are not synonymous. Do you have an Apple Watch in your possession? If not, quote me when you do. If you feel the same that's absolutely fine but I just want to make sure you've actually interacted with one before.

sterl320

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2015
I never mentioned anything about 'reaching' or distance. Reach and cumbersome are not synonymous. Do you have an Apple Watch in your possession? If not, quote me when you do. If you feel the same that's absolutely fine but I just want to make sure you've actually interacted with one before.

"It find it somewhat cumbersome to reach and press in the digital crown. Thoughts?"

Reach...

Reach...

you're word. You said it. Not I, sir.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Force touch so far isn't as good as I expected ... going to the watch customize screen just doesn't work very well.

Really? I think it works great! And it knows exactly how hard you're pressing. Are you possibly just too afraid to press 'hard'? If you're on the watch face screen, just light press and begin to press harder, it will progress all the way until you've reached the 'max' for it to enable the customization functionality; it's accuracy pretty awesome, in my opinion. I just am not a fan of digital-crown to go home.

Last edited:

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Really? I think it works great! And it knows exactly how hard you're pressing. Are you possible just too afraid to press 'hard'? If you're on the watch face screen, just light press and begin to press harder, it will progress all the way until you've reached the 'max' for it to enable the customization functionality. I just am not a fan of digital-crown to go home.

Oh trust me, I was pressing hard

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
"It find it somewhat cumbersome to reach and press in the digital crown. Thoughts?"

Touche. My fault. But my intention and thoughts are still the same. I actually initially had included a 'it's not about distance' type phrase in my OP (anticipating the responses) but I decided to take it out. Still, though, until you have one and interact with it yourself, it probably won't make much sense.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
The problem is, that would remove a feature of the watch - if all that force-touch did was send you home, might as well put another button on the watch. But this way every app can use force-touch for whatever they want.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
The problem is, that would remove a feature of the watch - if all that force-touch did was send you home, might as well put another button on the watch. But this way every app can use force-touch for whatever they want.

It could be timed. Force-touch could immediately send you home upon release the touch but if you held it for x longer than it could forefront the settings.

MacFan23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
I also think they should let you swap the Crown and Long button for friends and back, kinda like they did with the older iPads and the rotation lock/mute switch. I just don't ever see myself using the contacts button.

I guess from a usability stand point, if you were using the crown, it's easier just to press it to go back. Years of conditioning has taught me to see that long button shape as a sleep button.

I guess it's just a case of getting used to it. It would be useful if there was a shortcut of getting straight back to the clock face. Long press of the crown would do if it weren't for siri.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
New idea! As I was scrolling into the watch face app (?), I decided to see what the digital crown does once you are view the watch face... nothing! Scrolling down (out of the app) would also suffice, IMO! Going to submit this idea to Apple.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
New idea! As I was scrolling into the watch face app (?), I decided to see what the digital crown does once you are view the watch face... nothing! Scrolling down (out of the app) would also suffice, IMO! Going to submit this idea to Apple.

I don't think that would work as an app that has scrolling or entering data would need a different gesture...

Also I think the solar watchface uses the crown, so in the future watchfaces could make use of it.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
It could be timed. Force-touch could immediately send you home upon release the touch but if you held it for x longer than it could forefront the settings.

That wouldn't be much better, it would make force-touch suck for anything other than a virtual home button. And imagine an app using force-touch frequently, you'd always be at risk of accidentally going home instead of activating that feature. Force-touch can be for anything, not just settings; in the app I made, for example, force-touch is how you switch between two modes.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I don't think that would work as an app that has scrolling or entering data would need a different gesture...

Also I think the solar watchface uses the crown, so in the future watchfaces could make use of it.

I was actually only thinking about from the watch face but yeah that's not the only time you'd need to go home. Hmm... There's a resolution out there somewhere...

Sphyrna

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
I must be in the minority too. I find it a bit awkward as well. I have my finger on the screen or scrolling the digital crown and I have to switch my finger from being parallel with the screen to perpendicular.

One thought I had today was if instead of pressing in on the digital crown you press down on it, like the scroll wheel on a mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.