Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Ahh, err, ... :eek:

Just trying to prepare SS for some of the more aggressive IPAs out there. :D

:D

That hoppy brown I posted above was _stellar_. A nice rich darker brown, a little flavor of toasted nuts, chocolate, nice creamy mouthfeel (now I'm doing it...) then *BAM* a super hoppy finish. It's also pretty perky with a ~9% ABV.

The KBS was fantastic, but a little ruined by being over hyped.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
This last weekends purchase.....please disregard the counter top. That is the big reason we are starting the kitchen remodel in a few days!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 65

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Well, I'm not particularly expert on IPA beers, and so would be most interested to obtain tasting notes and feedback……

Meanwhile, enjoy the experience of sampling something new……and hopefully tasty.

My preference, too, tends to lie in the direction of Belgian beers, porters and ales, especially the Trappist ones; hence, I do not have an awful lot of knowledge of IPAs.

Now, a few years ago, I do recall that the Scottish brewers Innis & Gunn did have a wonderful IPA, but, alas, they do no make it any longer.

With summer just around the corner, IPA's are a totally superb way of quenching ones thirst.

I’ve only recently discovered the wonders of IPA’s, I tend to like the dry hoppy tasting IPA’s, I offer you a list of beers which I have found to be quite agreeable.

Raging Bitch is a Belgian IPA brewed USA
Goose Island IPA. Brewed USA
Both these beers are brewed by InBev and are being pushed hard in Europe, so there is a good chance of seeing them in the UK.

Anchor beers from San Francisco brew a very good IPA, this is also readily available here in Europe.

Houblon Chouffe is a Belgian IPA which has become very popular here.

More than likely hard to get, but worth the effort.

Vuur & vlam IPA brewed by De Molen in the Netherlands.

Centennial IPA Founders brewed in USA

60 Minutes IPA Dogfish Head brewed USA

Pliny the elder IPA Russian river brewed USA

I do hope that this list is of some help.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ahh, err, ... :eek:

Just trying to prepare SS for some of the more aggressive IPAs out there. :D

Okay. I'll consider myself amply……..warned, armed, and above all, suitably prepared. And thank you.

With summer just around the corner, IPA's are a totally superb way of quenching ones thirst.

I’ve only recently discovered the wonders of IPA’s, I tend to like the dry hoppy tasting IPA’s, I offer you a list of beers which I have found to be quite agreeable.

Both these beers are brewed by InBev and are being pushed hard in Europe, so there is a good chance of seeing them in the UK.

Anchor beers from San Francisco brew a very good IPA, this is also readily available here in Europe.

Happybunny, I will always take a beer list that you have so kindly and thoughtfully gone to the trouble of preparing, very seriously indeed. Anyway, my grateful thanks.

As it happens, I really like La Chouffe, so I imagine that Houblon Chouffe is equally good, but, perhaps, more apt for long, lingering summer days.

The white beer made by the wonderful St Bernardus monastery - St Bernardus Wit - was also recommended to me, and I rather liked it.

smitty1788

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2012

Raging Bitch is produced by Flying Dog which is not owned by InBev. They are completely independent. In fact they had a bunch of lawsuits against InBev a few years ago for copying the style of Flying Dog's packaging.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

Pliny is excellent IPA. I have only been able to find it on draft, no bottles. They sell out in ridiculous short amount of time.

The 60 minute IPA is good as well as the 90 minute. I have yet to find the 120. It to sells out super quick when it comes around.

Stone IPA is very good also.

Stone also makes (it is being discontinued thou) a black IPA that is super good, Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA! If you can find it treat yourself!

Ballast Point Breweries Sculpin IPA is another good one.

Union Jack by Firestone is not too bad either.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Sculpin is da bomb. Pliney, excellent but might have better luck at finding gold at the end of a rainbow then finding it lol. 120 is hard to find when its available (sells out fast) and is hit or miss, their World Wide Stout imo is much better but same thing (hard to find and sells out fast).

Victory Dirtwolf is one of my favorite DIPA. And for those of you up north if you can find Bells Hopslam, mmmmmm, was jut in Chitown and a bar had it on draft, beyond incredible. One bar here gets it, but it goes fast.

i1280

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
Pliney's are overrated...by a lot!!! There are plenty on IPAs out there that blow those away. Pliney is "great" because people can't get it.

Lagunitas Waldo, Boulevard Calling, Captain Lawrence Double ... All blow Pliney out of the water.

eko91

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
Questions for Wine & Beer enthusiasts

I know this thread is for those that enjoy wine & beer. All my friends love drinking beer. They say they taste delicious and refreshing! They all know which brands taste good ... I tried to drink many times and I find all beers to taste the same. Do you think I will ever get to enjoy the taste of beer?? I mean I guess I wont get a beer belly, but I feel like I'm missing out! hahaha Did you guys all enjoy the taste of beer from the start?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I know this thread is for those that enjoy wine & beer. All my friends love drinking beer. They say they taste delicious and refreshing! They all know which brands taste good ... I tried to drink many times and I find all beers to taste the same. Do you think I will ever get to enjoy the taste of beer?? I mean I guess I wont get a beer belly, but I feel like I'm missing out! hahaha Did you guys all enjoy the taste of beer from the start?

What have you tried?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

No, alcohol, like coffee, curries, and a few other (good) things is an acquired taste. (Although, oddly, even as a very small child, to the stupefaction of my relatives and the tolerance of my parents, I actually rather liked coffee….there is no accounting for taste..)

In my younger heedless days, I didn't much like beer, and had been known to sip - in vast quantities the sort of offence to taste known as Liebfraumilch, - and to liberally enhance horrid cheap lager with lime juice. Good grief, I even recall drowning cognac in orange juice……(holds head in hands…..in blushing shame.)

In general, as a teenager, (because of course as a European, we legally drink alcohol as teenagers, after we have been illegally drinking alcohol as teenagers) when you first meet alcohol, you want it strong, and sweet and - above all cheap. Affordable and drinkable and quaffable. Combined, needless to say, this leads to the conspicuous, determined and magisterial consumption of some seriously horrid swill, but - in those days, our bile producing lead-lined stomachs are of such a robust and rugged construction, and of such a legendary endurance….that, somehow, we cope, and……thrive.

Happily, that stage of unsophisticated and blissful ignorance passed. However, I will say it took a few trips to civilised spots, such as Brussels (in Belgium), and a summer in Germany as an undergrad to become acclimatised to the idea of excellent beer (and wine) as a part of one's daily life.

The problem, though, is that with sustained exposure to the really good stuff is that you never, ever want to go back to the stage of prehistoric alcohol illiteracy in which you were immersed or steeped before enlightenment and illumination took hold…..

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Alas, it has been reported back to me that the legendary Trappist brew Westvleteren will remain just that - a legend - for some time yet.

Apparently, for now, one can only obtain it by turning up - in person - on the limited occasions that the monastery is open for business and buying a crate.

I shall keep making enquiries, though……..

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Meanwhile, beer temporarily put aside, my palate felt in dire need of something a little more robust.

Hence, a port, a white port, a splendid 10 Year Old from Gaivosa is my sipping companion this evening.

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Went to dark lord day yesterday. I sampled upward of 50 beers. Got to buy an allotment of 4 bottles of dark lord.

Unfortunately it was 45° and pouring rain. That doesn't go well when there's 10,000 people and mostly grass. Still turned out to be fun though.

I did manage to purchase some pretty rare glassware. And Didn't break any somehow.

Great event. My top 4 beers of the day came from a "vanilla tasting" we did.

2013 bourbon barrel dark lord with vanilla beans
4 hands Madagascar
Mikeler barrel aged vanilla shake
Goose island bourbon county stout vanilla rye

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430058228.065068.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430058242.994797.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430058252.549630.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430058262.450395.jpg

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Went to dark lord day yesterday. I sampled upward of 50 beers. Got to buy an allotment of 4 bottles of dark lord.

Unfortunately it was 45° and pouring rain. That doesn't go well when there's 10,000 people and mostly grass. Still turned out to be fun though.

I did manage to purchase some pretty rare glassware. And Didn't break any somehow.

Great event. My top 4 beers of the day came from a "vanilla tasting" we did.

2013 bourbon barrel dark lord with vanilla beans
4 hands Madagascar
Mikeler barrel aged vanilla shake
Goose island bourbon county stout vanilla rye

View attachment 545930

View attachment 545931

View attachment 545932

View attachment 545933

Sounds like a good event to attend.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I was most surprised and quite pleased. I'd never had it before, but with all the chatter about it here I figured I ought to try it. (And since I'm traveling and they don't distribute in CA, it was my only chance...)

I stuck my head into my favourite beer store (well off-licence) and was greeted with warm affection by the manager who is standing in for the chap I usually deal with (the latter is on two weeks leave).

He greeted me, grinned at me and instructed me to take a look at the fridge, accompanying me to the back of the shop. I did so.

In the fridge were several types of Founder's (including the Porter, the Old Curmudgeon, Dirty Bastard and an IPA), the Houblon Chouffe recommended by Happybunny, St Bernardus Pater and St Bernardus Wit, along with fresh supplies of Rochfort 10, 8 and 6.

A set of St Bernardus chalice glasses (for beer) had also come in, a request made to the company (on my behalf). Well, this is what credit cards are for……..

As it is a Bank Holiday week end, (i.e. Public Holiday long week end), - and they are likely very busy - and, as my house is more than adequately stocked with beer - both of my brothers are home, but that is not the reason my cellar is well stocked - I said that they need not make a delivery of the mixed case until Tuesday……....

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Also scored some "Not Your Father's Root Beer". It's *delicious*, more or less a nice, rich root beer but with a nice little 5.9% ABV kick.

We were picking up food for the rest of the family, and while we waited, we had a couple of delicious beers (I'll post when I remember the names), but the bartender asked if we had tried this root beer, and actually cracked open a bottle and poured it three ways! :D So when we left, we stopped at the package store right down the street, and picked some up. It's currently in rapid chill mode in ice, in the freezer :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.