Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
Hey everyone!

I feel like I'm usually really good at figuring these things out, but I cannot help but feel that Apple is really pushing folks into using iCloud to store their entire photo library.

I was really hoping that the new Photos app for OS X would have an option that would allow users to shoot all of their photos on their iPhone and then have them sync to their Mac - keeping all of the photos locally on that computer. I'm struggling to figure out how to do this somewhat seamlessly.

Basically, I would prefer to connect my iPhone to my Mac via USB and routinely import photos into the Photos app, and have the photos then be deleted off of my iPhone after they've been imported. I feel like this was a slightly easier process with iPhoto. That or I am a bit out of touch!

Any insight into a iCloud-less workflow for managing and importing photos from my iPhone onto my Mac using the new Photos app is very, very much appreciated!

Thanks all!

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can't you manually import them from the phone when you hook the phone up to the computer. If you're looking to sync wirelessly that will use iCloud.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
My understanding is that you can turn off the iCloud syncing and simply keep it all local and not go through the cloud.

http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/resources/0170/site/chap05.html

I shoot mostly RAW files with my DSLR and there's no way in bleep bleep I want my 30+MB files syncing! lol

Plus, I'm completely against using the Cloud for backing up. Of course, I understand Apple's strategy because there are many folks out there who buy these devices and don't take the time to learn them properly so they'll inevitably use the Cloud and need to buy more space. That is NOT judging people either - simply state of fact based on my experiences with clients who have never even backed their phone up nor understand how to delete photos from their photo except 1 by 1. I asked 1 client if she had backed up her phone. No, was her response. I said, "Ok, have you ever connected it to your computer?"

"Oh, I can do that with my phone?"

Me: palm to forehead

Cheers,
Keebler

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
Thanks guys.

I've connected the phone but it seems like when importing through Photos there is no option to delete what's on the iPhone after import. Through iTunes, the only photo related settings allow you to sync what stays on the iPhone.

I'll keep poking around. I guess I just recall it being a bit more simplistic with iPhoto before iCloud existed :eek:

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
I may have a suggestion.

Use Image Capture and DON'T import into Photos directly.

In Image Capture have the photos from your phone or camera imported into a folder. You can check a box to delete the photos from the device after import.
When you did that you can also easily batch rename the files using either the Finder's batch rename tool or some dedicated software such as Better Rename or Name Mangler. Photos as of right now doesn't allow you to batch rename files!

Once your done simply drag'n'drop the photos into Photos.

Sound like a plan?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.