Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Code:
Late 2013		Early 2015
2.4 GHz Intel Core i5	2.7GHz Intel Core i5
8GB 1600MHz DDR3	8GB 1866MHz DDR3
256GB			256GB
And the force touch trackpad.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
Pretty noticeable jump in GPU power i believe. Also the the 2015 MBPR has a LEGIT 10 hour battery. I am on my first charge, as i just picked mine up from Best Buy earlier at about 4pm. I am having trouble knocking this thing down, battery wise! I used it for a few hours before the gym. Came home & watched two episodes from Curb Your Enthusiasm via HBO Now that i had pushed onto my 65" TV on the wall while i browsed on the MBPR. And this damn thing is STILL at 75%. :eek:

I have a 2013 MBA that i just sold, and it for sure has a stronger battery than that. I won't be able to charge this thing until prob tomorrow afternoon lol. I am sure you are supposed to run it down on its first charge.

SSD speed is much faster, not sure how much that would be noticeable.

And lastly i thought the force touch track pad would be "gimmicky". But i went to factory reset my MBA to ship it out and MAN, going back to that trackpad is mehhhh. I really love the new trackpad. The old trackpad is so LOUD, for lack of a better word. But again, ONLY if you are used to the new force touch one.

The battery is REALLY good in the 2015 MBPR, for the power it houses and the retina it pushes. You could prob get 11 hours battery with light use with screen at 50%. No joke.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Pretty noticeable jump in GPU power i believe. Also the the 2015 MBPR has a LEGIT 10 hour battery. I am on my first charge, as i just picked mine up from Best Buy earlier at about 4pm. I am having trouble knocking this thing down, battery wise! I used it for a few hours before the gym. Came home & watched two episodes from Curb Your Enthusiasm via HBO Now that i had pushed onto my 65" TV on the wall while i browsed on the MBPR. And this damn thing is STILL at 75%. :eek:

I have a 2013 MBA that i just sold, and it for sure has a stronger battery than that. I won't be able to charge this thing until prob tomorrow afternoon lol. I am sure you are supposed to run it down on its first charge.

SSD speed is much faster, not sure how much that would be noticeable.

And lastly i thought the force touch track pad would be "gimmicky". But i went to factory reset my MBA to ship it out and MAN, going back to that trackpad is mehhhh. I really love the new trackpad. The old trackpad is so LOUD, for lack of a better word. But again, ONLY if you are used to the new force touch one.

The battery is REALLY good in the 2015 MBPR, for the power it houses and the retina it pushes. You could prob get 11 hours battery with light use with screen at 50%. No joke.

Thanks for the review. Trying to decide if it's worth the upgrade. If I was to get this, should i stick with 8GB/256GB? I know the hard drive size is personal preference as to how much stuff I have, but is there any reason to get 16GB of RAM?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Probably not..

Thanks for the review. Trying to decide if it's worth the upgrade. If I was to get this, should i stick with 8GB/256GB? I know the hard drive size is personal preference as to how much stuff I have, but is there any reason to get 16GB of RAM?

worth the upgrade to be honest. Despite intels claims the GPU is very similar in performance.

16gb of RAM is only any use if you use it, so for some software it's a bonus and if you run multiple VM's but otherwise it's a pointless extravagance.

I would stick with yours for another year unless you really need an extra hour battery or more space or Ram...

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

Impossible to say without knowing what you actually do with a computer. For all we know, you could get by with an iPad. Anyone answering otherwise would simply be taking a stab in the dark.

Rule of thumb with computers: if you have to ask, you don't need it.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Impossible to say without knowing what you actually do with a computer. For all we know, you could get by with an iPad. Anyone answering otherwise would simply be taking a stab in the dark.

Rule of thumb with computers: if you have to ask, you don't need it.
OP has started several threads lately where he describes his usage. He could get by with an iPad. No idea why he wants to upgrade now.
Maybe he's just bored.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
OP has started several threads lately where he describes his usage. He could get by with an iPad. No idea why he wants to upgrade now.
Maybe he's just bored.

Honestly, yes. I just like to get new stuff way too often.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
I thought so :)

For your use the 2015 rmbp is basically the same as the 2013.
You might be better off with an Air just for the fun of it.

Thanks. Most likely I'll hold off for now. I just get bored with what I have and want something different all the time! I could always try the air for a bit and then get the next rMBP. We'll see.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
2015 MBA 13" on sale at BB for $799!!!! Combine that with a 10% movers and man...... It's cheaper than the 2014 MBA lol. It's on sale until Sunday I believe.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
2015 MBA 13" on sale at BB for $799!!!! Combine that with a 10% movers and man...... It's cheaper than the 2014 MBA lol. It's on sale until Sunday I believe.

That is a great price. Besides the retina screen, how much of a step down would it be from current rMBP?

twocircles

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
Code:
Late 2013		Early 2015
2.4 GHz Intel Core i5	2.7GHz Intel Core i5
8GB 1600MHz DDR3	8GB 1866MHz DDR3
256GB			256GB
And the force touch trackpad.

Oh no! Could Apple marketing be intending to make "Pro" mean something On the MacBook again? :eek:

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
That is a great price. Besides the retina screen, how much of a step down would it be from current rMBP?

Not much is you use it casually like I do. Now if you are editing videos etc I'm sure the MBPR will be a lot better.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I have the exact same machine: late 2013 13" retina with 2.4/8/256.

On the new one, the GPU is maybe 20% faster, so it's a nice little bump if you play games. SSD is a lot faster in benchmarks, but the one on the 2013 is so good that I don't know what the real world difference would be. Ditto for the CPU bump.

Plus battery life is somewhat better (1-2 hours maybe?) and force touch trackpad.

My overall thought is that the new one looks like a lot of improvement on paper, but most users probably wouldn't know the difference except for the trackpad. The late '13" still looks remarkably like the latest and greatest, 18 months later.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I have the same rMBP and IMO the internal upgrades aren't worth the cost at tis time. The new trackpad is amazing, but definitely not worth the cost of the upgrade. There's a good chance that we will see Skylake in the next 9-12 months, and that really will be worth upgrading for. Unless you have cash to burn, I'd wait a little longer.

----------

I have the exact same machine: late 2013 13" retina with 2.4/8/256.

On the new one, the GPU is maybe 20% faster, so it's a nice little bump if you play games. SSD is a lot faster in benchmarks, but the one on the 2013 is so good that I don't know what the real world difference would be. Ditto for the CPU bump.

Plus battery life is somewhat better (1-2 hours maybe?) and force touch trackpad.

My overall thought is that the new one looks like a lot of improvement on paper, but most users probably wouldn't know the difference except for the trackpad. The late '13" still looks remarkably like the latest and greatest, 18 months later.

Exactly this. It's all incremental. Unless you have cash burning a hole in your pocket, wait a little longer...

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
The old trackpad is so LOUD, for lack of a better word..

I have the old trackpad and it is absolutely silent....but I have "tap to click" set.

I am always surprised how many people don't seem to know about this option which is much quieter and quicker than actually physically clicking the trackpad.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I have the old trackpad and it is absolutely silent....but I have "tap to click" set.

I am always surprised how many people don't seem to know about this option which is much quieter and quicker than actually physically clicking the trackpad.

Actually you are right, i never knew about it. I have a MBA as well i will have to try it out!

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

I've never been able to get used to tap to click, but i'm glad it's an option for the folks who like it.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I've never been able to get used to tap to click, but i'm glad it's an option for the folks who like it.

And I've always hated "the trackpad IS the button" approach. If the laptop still had a separate button, I'd click, otherwise it simply feels clunky and unnatural.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
And I've always hated "the trackpad IS the button" approach. If the laptop still had a separate button, I'd click, otherwise it simply feels clunky and unnatural.

I used to feel that same way until my 15" Early 2008 MBP (the last of the non-unibody models) finally kicked the bucket. But I've gotten so acclimated to the new style trackpad since then, if feels really weird going back to the old ones.

"Tap" clicking is a bit to sensitive for me... :p

One thing I absolutely love about the new Force Trackpad is that the "diving board" design is gone. The "click" registers the same on every part of the surface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.