Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Unless the Edition is an undersold piece of tech and isn't continued into future gens.

Even if the Edition is a one gen only thing, a few years from now, no one is going to want one of the software and hardware is several generations behind and doesn't have the latest and greatest features. The only investment worse than an Apple Watch Edition is RadioShack stock.

a.guillermo

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2015
Personally, I think my purchase of a Rolex Submariner when I got my 1st real job out of college back in 1985 was THE BEST single purchase I ever made!!!

Thirty years later I still wear that same watch and new one's now sell for around $7k. I paid around a grand.

Well, that would in fact be a good investment.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I would think spending ~$700 on a smartphone would be much more logical than spending $1,000+ on a traditional watch that has less functionality. But, logic is lost on some folks.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I would think spending ~$700 on a smartphone would be much more logical than spending $1,000+ on a traditional watch that has less functionality. But, logic is lost on some folks.

But I'll have my watches for the rest of my life, a smart phone will need to be replaced many times during my lifetime. I can't see buying an expensive smart phone it's too temporary.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Depends on what is defined as "logic" in this context. That means it also depends on what an individual wants from a watch, or phone, or some sort of multifunctional device.

Personally, I like the old style craftsmanship and elegant appearance that many classic watches have. So, I will happily spend that sort of money on a beautifully crafted timepiece that I can expect to last me well over a decade, if not a lot longer.

I cannot envisage any Apple watch being designed to last more than a decade, which is the minimum lifespan I would expect from a watch carrying such a price tag.

But I'll have my watches for the rest of my life, a smart phone will need to be replaced many times during my lifetime. I can't see buying an expensive smart phone it's too temporary.

Exactly.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away

And then there are those who spend thousands on something like jewelry, which has zero functionality. So I'm not sure it's about logic being "lost on some folks," just that some have different wants and needs from others.

eko91

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
it depends

If you are going to be completely broke after you purchase a Rolex, then dont do it!! If you are going to have money to pay for your rent, food, bills, then purchase it! You work hard for your money so I say treat yourself. Its okay to treat yourself to a luxurious item once in a while, if not, whats the joy of saving up money? I was told that you are to spend your money and not save it! Well, i mean save some, but no need to save every penny from your paycheck!

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
For a little context, I am 26 years old. I have a decent paying job. I have one decent watch that cost around $800. It is a techno marine. The problem is the band is either black or brown (it's changeable). I am considering purchasing a new watch for when I travel. If I leave the house with the brown band for the week, that means I'm stuck with brown shoes for the week. Therefore, I am wanting to buy me a solid silver watch for occasions like this. Even when I am home, it gets hold changing the bands out depending on what color shoes/belt I want to wear.

I have a few questions regarding this.

1) Who is the best of the best watch carrier? Rolex, Breitling?

2) Should I really spend my money on a very expensive watch? I can't decide so I want to hear other peoples opinion. It just seems a little silly and not too smart to invest $5,000+ on a watch. To me, it seems like a poor investment. Maybe if I was 50 years old+ but not being 26. However, the other side of me says it screw it. I work hard to get where I am at so if I want something I should buy it. What is your thought?

3) If you think I should conserve, what brand watch do you recommend that is still nice but not retarded expensive for a watch?

Thank you for any input.

Get the watch. Based on your post, you know you're going to lol and I know that's probably what you want to hear.

I personally would not.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
Waste?

Looking back on a lifetime of purchases and investments, I can make some very certain conclusions.

If I had the opportunity to do it all over again, I would not have bought my E-Class and C-Class Mercedes, my Rolex, or a BMW.

Nope, I would wear the Casio I wear almost everyday, and I would drive the Toyota's I drive everyday now instead.

The money on those other items was best spent in savings toward a down payment on townhouse and condos that I now rent out for positive income and increasing property value in addition to the tax shelters.

The others are depreciating assets that are more expense and trouble than they are worth.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Looking back on a lifetime of purchases and investments, I can make some very certain conclusions.

If I had the opportunity to do it all over again, I would not have bought my E-Class and C-Class Mercedes, my Rolex, or a BMW.

Nope, I would wear the Casio I wear almost everyday, and I would drive the Toyota's I drive everyday now instead.

The money on those other items was best spent in savings toward a down payment on townhouse and condos that I now rent out for positive income and increasing property value in addition to the tax shelters.

The others are depreciating assets that are more expense and trouble than they are worth.

Best advice.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Financial decisions should be framed in the context of income. No one can say "buying a Rolex is a bad idea" because no one knows that personal finances are like, or what types of things you put higher value on.

If I made $1 million a year, buying a Rolex wouldn't even register as an expense, depreciating asset or not.

If I made $10 thousand a year, it would be prohibitively expensive no matter how much I wanted it.

So while no one in this thread can say "Don't buy a Rolex," I'll offer the neutral feedback that a Rolex is a very high quality timepiece, if you want a high quality timepiece. Omegas have quality control issues - at least the Speedies do - and Breitling and Tag Heuer simply aren't in the same quality bracket.

Would I buy one as an investment? No. Watches, like most luxury purchases, do not appreciate, and cost to maintain them adds to the price over it's ownership. If you want to keep it in good salable condition you will have to have it serviced every so often and keep records of doing so.

You'd be surprised how easy it is for an average middle income man to finance a Lamborghini, but it's an illusion of wealth, not wealth. Don't buy the Rolex just to show off or to appear to have more money than you do - those are the transactions that hurt you later.

Buy it because you can afford it, because it's a high quality piece, and because you love the heritage and history of mechanical watches.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Financial decisions should be framed in the context of income. No one can say "buying a Rolex is a bad idea" because no one knows that personal finances are like, or what types of things you put higher value on.

If I made $1 million a year, buying a Rolex wouldn't even register as an expense, depreciating asset or not.

If I made $10 thousand a year, it would be prohibitively expensive no matter how much I wanted it.

So while no one in this thread can say "Don't buy a Rolex," I'll offer the neutral feedback that a Rolex is a very high quality timepiece, if you want a high quality timepiece. Omegas have quality control issues - at least the Speedies do - and Breitling and Tag Heuer simply aren't in the same quality bracket.

Would I buy one as an investment? No. Watches, like most luxury purchases, do not appreciate, and cost to maintain them adds to the price over it's ownership. If you want to keep it in good salable condition you will have to have it serviced every so often and keep records of doing so.

You'd be surprised how easy it is for an average middle income man to finance a Lamborghini, but it's an illusion of wealth, not wealth. Don't buy the Rolex just to show off or to appear to have more money than you do - those are the transactions that hurt you later.

Buy it because you can afford it, because it's a high quality piece, and because you love the heritage and history of mechanical watches.

That is it, in nutshell. And very well said. Agree completely.

Buy a lovely timepiece because you love the heritage and craftsmanship of mechanical and exquisitely made watches; not as an investment, and not as a fashion statement - unless those are the values that move you.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
This guy posted 4 years ago, I'm sure he either bought the watch by now or decided not to :) Looks like he also hasn't been on the forums in 2 years.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'm wearing an '80s two tone Datejust on my wrist as I sit here and type this.

It was a gift from my parents for a significant life accomplishment, and I treasure it dearly for that reason.

With that said, if one were to read my posts on here or even look at my user name, they would find that I'm absolutely nuts about watches. I've been studying watchmaking for 6 years, and have been seriously collecting American pocket watches for as long. I could have bought a couple of Rolexes for what I have tied up in American pocket watches-as one learns more, tastes evolve and I find myself bored by most common and low grade watches. I go for interesting, rare or unique, early and/or high grade. Some of the watches I look for are under-appreciated and very affordable, while others are quite pricey. I have watches that pretty much only come out of my safety deposit box when I know I'm going to be around other collectors for "show and tell."

I still wear a pocket watch regularly, although admittedly haven't for about three weeks, as my Rolex has been on my wrist every day since then.

I guess my point in all my rambling is that if you want something because you like the watch and can afford it, by all means buy it. If not, I'd suggest passing it by.

I have 30 Waltham 1883 model Crescent St. grade watches. I love these watches-they are very high grade pieces, very undervalued in the market(save for some very unusual ones), and each one is unique.

American watch movements are often decorated using a process called demaskeening, where a special type of lathe(actually more like a spirograph) called a rose engine that makes very light scratches on the watch plates. Many watches were made in a standard pattern(the Bunn Special in my avatar is the Illinois "Bright Spot" pattern that was used on a handful of different high grade watches). Waltham, however, allowed the damaskeen artists(and they truly were artists) to make their own settings and patterns on the rose engines. From my observations, I believe that there were probably 3-4 people doing this at Waltham, and they used the marquee watches(specifically the better grade 1872 models, the 1883 Crescent St, and early examples of the 1892 model Vanguard) to show off their skills. You will find similar examples of these watches, but finding an identical one is like searching for a needle in a haystack. The watch may well be unique, or if there are identical examples there might be two or three out of a couple hundred thousand examples. This part makes it fun!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This guy posted 4 years ago, I'm sure he either bought the watch by now or decided not to :) Looks like he also hasn't been on the forums in 2 years.

But I have noticed while trawling and browsing here, that threads often develop a life of their own, in the absence of those who have initially wound them up and set them off running to see who and what might respond.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
But I have noticed while trawling and browsing here, that threads often develop a life of their own, in the absence of those who have initially wound them up and set them off running to see who and what might respond.

True but some people were responding to the initial post :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm wearing an '80s two tone Datejust on my wrist as I sit here and type this.

It was a gift from my parents for a significant life accomplishment, and I treasure it dearly for that reason.

With that said, if one were to read my posts on here or even look at my user name, they would find that I'm absolutely nuts about watches. I've been studying watchmaking for 6 years, and have been seriously collecting American pocket watches for as long. I could have bought a couple of Rolexes for what I have tied up in American pocket watches-as one learns more, tastes evolve and I find myself bored by most common and low grade watches. I go for interesting, rare or unique, early and/or high grade. Some of the watches I look for are under-appreciated and very affordable, while others are quite pricey. I have watches that pretty much only come out of my safety deposit box when I know I'm going to be around other collectors for "show and tell."

I still wear a pocket watch regularly, although admittedly haven't for about three weeks, as my Rolex has been on my wrist every day since then.

I guess my point in all my rambling is that if you want something because you like the watch and can afford it, by all means buy it. If not, I'd suggest passing it by.

I have 30 Waltham 1883 model Crescent St. grade watches. I love these watches-they are very high grade pieces, very undervalued in the market(save for some very unusual ones), and each one is unique.

American watch movements are often decorated using a process called demaskeening, where a special type of lathe(actually more like a spirograph) called a rose engine that makes very light scratches on the watch plates. Many watches were made in a standard pattern(the Bunn Special in my avatar is the Illinois "Bright Spot" pattern that was used on a handful of different high grade watches). Waltham, however, allowed the damaskeen artists(and they truly were artists) to make their own settings and patterns on the rose engines. From my observations, I believe that there were probably 3-4 people doing this at Waltham, and they used the marquee watches(specifically the better grade 1872 models, the 1883 Crescent St, and early examples of the 1892 model Vanguard) to show off their skills. You will find similar examples of these watches, but finding an identical one is like searching for a needle in a haystack. The watch may well be unique, or if there are identical examples there might be two or three out of a couple hundred thousand examples. This part makes it fun!

Great and informative post; thanks for it.

Indeed, you are a source of much welcome and most interesting information about some of the really good American time-pieces, which were known for both quality and affordability.

True but some people were responding to the initial post :)

Yes, true, I gathered that.

Now, I'll admit that it is always nice when an OP returns in the fullness of time, and lets people know what has happened…..a sort of 'closure', which allows others to see whether the question of the OP was answered, or problem solved, or what - if anything - was bought of those products about which the OP had questions….

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

This is the crux of it for me. A smartphone is $650 you'll have to spend again in (at most) four years. A Tag Heuer Formula 1 is $1000 that will last significantly longer.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
This is the crux of it for me. A smartphone is $650 you'll have to spend again in (at most) four years. A Tag Heuer Formula 1 is $1000 that will last significantly longer.

Consider that most people buy there phones on contract and dont see the cost upfront.

Also mechanical watches require service to run properly so keep in mind paying anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousands every few years.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Consider that most people buy there phones on contract and dont see the cost upfront.

Also mechanical watches require service to run properly so keep in mind paying anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousands every few years.

The up front cost doesn't change the fact the smartphone costs what it costs. Also, most watches in the $1000 price range don't have "a few thousands of dollars" in repair costs.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky

This is an interesting discussion to see on Macrumors, of all places.

As I recall, I dropped about $1300 for my first Mac out the door(including Applecare), and it was-at the time and still-one of the lowest end laptop that Apple made(13" Macbook Pro). It just turned three years old a few months ago, and honestly it's still completely useable and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Now that it's out of warranty, I'm planning to stick in a good SSD(probably a 1TB Samsung Evo) and maybe do the Bluetooth LE mod to enable handoff with my iPhone 6. I think I can easily get another three years out of it at a minimum, but it was still a relatively expensive purchase for what is effectively a disposable product. User upgradeable options are much more difficult on newer Apple latops.

Admittedly, I spent last week primarily using a last generation 15" Powerbook G4 that's now approaching 10 years old along with a G4 Quicksilver now approaching 13 years old. This was done for a challenge in the PPC forum, and admittedly I didn't find myself too cramped but still gave up a lot of useability over a newer computer. If I'd still been working on my thesis, however, it would have been pretty much out of the question. Going a little bit further back to the late '90s, my PowerMacintosh 9600 is really only good for playing games and running software from the mid to late 90s(and it's been upgraded pretty heavily).

By contrast, my Rolex is 30 years old and will likely easily last another 30 with a little bit of care. I've spent lots of money on 100+ year old watches that continue to function just as they were made to do. In fact, in some ways modern technology can allow me to make such watches run better than new. The biggest advantages is with electronic timing machines(using a quartz oscillator for the time base) that can give instantaneous rate information in any position. This just wasn't possible 100 years ago-watch adjusting was done by measuring the rate over a couple of days. A timing machine gives immediate feedback about whether or not an adjustment was successful. Someone who has studied how to read timing machine traces can diagnose faults in the balance staff, balance jewels, escapement, and even further up the train in just a few minutes.

Yes, a good watch may be expensive, but when you consider that with proper care it can likely do the same thing for your grandchildren as it does for you it's not so expensive.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany

Every decade or when it starts running fast not every few years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.