Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circuitlego

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Hello,

In Network Settings (OS X 10.8) it doesn't show a router IP address for my ethernet connection. I can't get to the web configuration tool for my router because of this.

Does anyone have any idea why my mac doesn't recognize a router IP?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
What do you get, do you get something like 169.x.x.x?

Post a screenshot of the connection, you could also check if the cable if connected well or maybe the cable is a bad one, another possibility is that the router has to be reset or is faulty.

circuitlego

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013

----------

I have tried reseting the router back to factory settings multiple times already :\

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
[url=http://s21.postimg.org/f2fjdra37/Screen_Shot_2013_05_01_at_7_28_27_AM.jpg]Image[/url]

----------

I have tried reseting the router back to factory settings multiple times already :\

There's reset and reset, most routers have a fast reset which only resets the router for problems but the configuration is still kept the same, or a factory reset which resets the router to factory settings.
Make sure your ethernet patch cable is a good one, there are also crossover cables and those won't work.
Try a different cable if you have one
Trying a different router is more difficult though but if you could you should.
For instance, if you both changed the cable and the router it is almost sure to be your Mac.
But, try the following as well, delete the below folder and restart, you must restart to make this work, it will reset all your network settings.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

the 169.x.x.x means it is connected but can't get an IP address

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hello,

In Network Settings (OS X 10.8) it doesn't show a router IP address for my ethernet connection. I can't get to the web configuration tool for my router because of this.

Does anyone have any idea why my mac doesn't recognize a router IP?

You are getting that 169.xx IP address automatically due to APIPA. This happens when no DHCP server is available.

Do you perhaps have your router in bridge mode? What brand/model router do you have.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Does no one here know about ifconfig in terminal?

Y'all are almost as bad as Windows admins with your neglect of command line tools in this thread ;)

Sadly, ifconfig won't tell us what the chosen configuration option is: DHCP, DHCP with Manual Address, etc. A screenshot of the Network pane in System Preferences will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.