Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

latestarter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
My dad was using an iPhone 5 and he passed it onto me to use it, in the excitement instead of taking a backup I immediately restored it with image of my iphone 3GS in the process lost all photographs that my dad had clicked during his holiday. Is there any way I could recover it, the usual way of recovering deleted photos using irecovery or trenor data recovery do not seem to work.

In addition I also notice about 1.27 Gb of "other data" on the phone which i suspect are the images. Anyway i could retrieve these photos

:(

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
My dad was using an iPhone 5 and he passed it onto me to use it, in the excitement instead of taking a backup I immediately restored it with image of my iphone 3GS in the process lost all photographs that my dad had clicked during his holiday. Is there any way I could recover it, the usual way of recovering deleted photos using irecovery or trenor data recovery do not seem to work.

In addition I also notice about 1.27 Gb of "other data" on the phone which i suspect are the images. Anyway i could retrieve these photos

Two options:

1. Did your dad use Photo Stream? If so, install iCloud Control Panel. It will download all the photos uploaded iin the last 30 days to the Photo Stream to your computer.

2. The second option is to restore an iCloud backup using your dad's Apple ID credentials.

The photos are most likely not stored in the 1.27GB "Other", so these two options are your best bet imho.

Oablar

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
recover lost photos from iPhone 5

You can try the following two ways to recover lost photos from iPhone 5
1. Directly scan and recover photos from iPhone 5
a) Connect your iPhone to the computer
b) Enter DFU mode and scan iPhone
c) Preview and recover iPhone photos

2. Scan and extract iTunes backup to recover iPhone photos
a) Scan your iTunes backup for iPhone 5
b) Preview and recover iPhone photos
c) Do backup well

Also, you can get video on how to recover lost photos in iPhone 5 to find details.

hotsummeria

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2014
I need HELP too!!!!
I am too sad to receive the fact that my little brother carelessly delete all photo when playing games on my phone. Can you offer a way to recovery deleted photos without iCloud or Email?

JayMarcel

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2014
I have the same issue as garzonker :( People I need some help about how to fix it.....I'm not a very technical person so can anyone suggest an easy to understand way to do it??

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Same should apply regardless of iPhone version..

Does I backupbot do a similar job?

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
Lost photos during iPhone 5 restore

If the images were never deleted manually from the "Recently Deleted" Album, you might can recover them. In other words, if their time in recently deleted ran out. They are likely recoverable. Here's how:
1. Go to Settings >General >Date and Time> Toggle off "Set Automatically".
2. Set the time back 2 years.
3. Go to the Photos app and check the recently deleted " album. They may be there.
4. Tap "Select" in upper right corner.
5. Mark photos to recover.
6. Tap "Recover" in bottom right corner.
The deleted photos should be back on the camera roll.
This works if you show huge space taken by photos, but don't have that many. So if in Settings > Usage, it says your photos take 2.3 gb, but you only have 250 photos on the camera roll, then this works to delete those deleted photos.
7. Go back to Date and Time and toggle "Set Automatically" back on.

Evren Carven

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2014
If the images were never deleted manually from the "Recently Deleted" Album, you might can recover them. In other words, if their time in recently deleted ran out. They are likely recoverable. Here's how:
1. Go to Settings >General >Date and Time> Toggle off "Set Automatically".
2. Set the time back 2 years.
3. Go to the Photos app and check the recently deleted " album. They may be there.
4. Tap "Select" in upper right corner.
5. Mark photos to recover.
6. Tap "Recover" in bottom right corner.
The deleted photos should be back on the camera roll.
This works if you show huge space taken by photos, but don't have that many. So if in Settings > Usage, it says your photos take 2.3 gb, but you only have 250 photos on the camera roll, then this works to delete those deleted photos.
7. Go back to Date and Time and toggle "Set Automatically" back on.

This method seems good. I will try this to check whether it works for me. BTW, is there any one try this in your iPhone and how about the result. In addition, whether it will cause other problem when you change the time force.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007

Unless your dad backed it up first (either via iTunes/iCloud) or back up the photos to the cloud (iCloud, Google Photos, etc), it's a gone conclusion. Just take a deep breath and a lesson how important backup is.

And no, the "other data" is not the images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.